Thread: ETC% changing on idle?

Advanced Tuner

ETC% changing on idle?

so.... i have some funny idle issues, nothing serious, i think my idle is pretty good. so i was logging my car cuz i think its got some false knock and i noticed that on idle my etc changes by a percent or 2. With this change there may be a slight bump up or down in maf/timing/rpm.. u know.. al that stuff thats related to each other.

So i guess what im asking is if that could be a cause of some of the slighty weirdo stuff im seeing or if its supposed to do that.

Or is something dying lol?

E67 pcm, LE5 motor

what im talkin about is the very begining of the scan. and you can see where it just knocks out of no where nyway, but im looking into why the advance peaks like that

config file is attached, im using a lot of custom pids so its better to use it
    Last edited by g5 gxp; 11-19-2009 at 02:57 AM.

Could be improperly scaled injectors, injector dead time, VE modifiers.
    RSG Offroad
    Jeeps. Jeeps. And more Jeeps. Oh and Jeeps too.

Advanced Tuner
    im runningh 100% maf, ve needs a rocket scientist to do on this car/pcm

No it doesn't and that is your problem. The car still looks at the VE table, don't fool yourself just because you changed the dynamic airflow crossover.
    RSG Offroad

Advanced Tuner
    truthfully ive never touched my ve tables as i was always under the impression that the car can run 100% maf if told to do so, ive looked at the ve talbes soo many times and i just feel like shooting myself after lol

Advanced Tuner
    theres 7+ tables to adjust the ve, its not like the lsj pcm, the e67 is wack to me.. its the ecm i learned to tune on as its in my car, some say i should have learned on another first... but whats done is done

I agree that it's not like the LSJ. But I have done a dozen 2.4 s/c swaps and tuned them all myself, and I don't even own a 2.4 car. It's not rocket science if you do some research and aren't afraid to play a little.

It is NEVER a good idea to run 100% MAF. Your VE table should always be spot on. Let's say the MAF fails. Then what? Also, do you realize after the throttle body closes the MAF stops reading air, but there is still pressure in the manifold that the MAP reads. A properly set up VE table will read air close to a half second longer in the manifold. This reduces lift-off knock as well as keeps the motor from pegging lean on an upshift.
    RSG Offroad

Advanced Tuner
    thanks for the info, ive only owned the software for just over a year now and am still learning, unfortunately with canadian weather, i can only practice and play with the tune for a few months and thats when im not at work or wherever. maybe one of the guru's such as yourself could give me a small hand in understanding some of the ve tables correctly. i do have an idea of how it works but im just not certain.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    SD tuning is not so easy with the E67 ECM unfortunately, it uses the new style code and no VE table.
    More than likely the ECM is seeing a MAP failure and is switching to the VE table which is running it lean. Disabling the MAP high voltate tests and also P0108 should fix it. Then set the dynamic airflow disable RPM to something low down so that the SD airflow is not used at all (ie. MAF is trusted) is how most tuners tune the E38/67 for blown apps.
    see, this is what i was talkin about, i was doing more digging and came accross this again.
    straight from the horses mouth... so now im confused..
    Last edited by g5 gxp; 11-20-2009 at 12:25 AM.

It has no "ve table" persay. Its uses a parametric VE. There is a table, but you don't modify it, you modify its coefficients and modifiers.
    RSG Offroad

Tuner in Training
    redhardsupra has a great article that explores the topic:

http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/200...explained.html

Advanced Tuner
    good read, it helps a bit