Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Camaro, turbocharged programming tips

2010 Camaro, turbocharged programming tips

OK guys, I am about to have someone (skilled pro) design and install a turbo system on my 2010 SS Camaro. It will be his first 6-speed automatic car, and possibly his first time without real a real VE table. I know about the software that is typcially used to do the VE table, so I don't think that will be a real issue.

This guy has done dozens of LS version turbo systems (hardware and tuning) in the past, so I am confident he will do no harm and a quality job, but I just wanted to check on this forum for any tips or suggestions that he might not know that would be useful on this particular car. Like I said, the transmission is a new deal for him, and I'd like to get as much safe power to the ground as possible (mayeb 6-7psi of boost). I know there are people that have had great luck on improving the delivered power at least 10% on the cars simply by tuning alone.

What parameters will he need to tweak in the transmission settings for certain, and any suggestions on what they need set to? Also any input on the engine side would be appreciated, too.

Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    HE WONT NEED TO TOUCH THE TRANNY TO MAKE THE ENGINE WORK.
    sry caps.
    i would recommend leaving in some tq mgmt. my maggie powered a6 camaro, is too insane with it removed, i swear the lack of traction makes it slower. i did up the line pressure and drop the shift times down. look for russ K's tranny tune, i tried it for a day, on stack motor and it was too much, but with 500 hp, it was nice.

Senior Tuner

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by general23cmp View Post
    OK guys, I am about to have someone (skilled pro) design and install a turbo system on my 2010 SS Camaro. It will be his first 6-speed automatic car, and possibly his first time without real a real VE table. I know about the software that is typcially used to do the VE table, so I don't think that will be a real issue.

This guy has done dozens of LS version turbo systems (hardware and tuning) in the past, so I am confident he will do no harm and a quality job, but I just wanted to check on this forum for any tips or suggestions that he might not know that would be useful on this particular car. Like I said, the transmission is a new deal for him, and I'd like to get as much safe power to the ground as possible (mayeb 6-7psi of boost). I know there are people that have had great luck on improving the delivered power at least 10% on the cars simply by tuning alone.

What parameters will he need to tweak in the transmission settings for certain, and any suggestions on what they need set to? Also any input on the engine side would be appreciated, too.

Thanks.
    Best advice:

Skip the Virtual VE tuning. Turn OFF the VE refrence altogether and tune MAF only!

Also tell him to call here and ask for the A6 Transmission Tuning Supplement (Worth every penny!) ---> www.thetuningschool.com 727-264-8875
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

yes skip the virtual VE tuning turn off the VE and tune the maf . and have the right injectors that you can have all the right data off them so when you have the right calibration data for them you wont have any issue with tuning the car for fuling with using the maf .
    Last edited by firehawk26; 11-05-2009 at 04:53 PM.

2bar for 2010 is available in next beta
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner
    When will the next Beta be available? We have a turbo'd '10 SS in the shop now, and we're having a problem with the MAF.

Tuner in Training
    This may be a dumb question but ...
    How do you "turn off the VE reference all together"? In a 2010 Camaro
    Last edited by FLDave; 11-09-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FLDave View Post
    This may be a dumb question but ...
    How do you "turn off the VE reference all together"? In a 2010 Camaro
    Not a dumb question. Would like to know myself.

Go to engine > dynamic airflow and set the high rpm disable and re-enable to 0 RPM.

Ian
    2008 Corvette A6 - Comp Cams 231/239 617/624 109 ICL 113 LSA, Patariot Extreme Dual Springs .660", Milled .30" Stock LS3 Heads, Mahle -4cc pistons, FTI 3600 Converter, 1 7/8 kooks cat-less 3 inch X-Pipe, air raid intake, ported TB, SLP Loudmouth I. 512hp/464tq

2011 Ford Taurus SHO - stock with just a Tune

Quote Originally Posted by madvette08 View Post
    Go to engine > dynamic airflow and set the high rpm disable and re-enable to 0 RPM.

Ian
    Thanks....seems too easy

Anyone with a 2010 camaro and turbos willing to share them there tunes so I can do me some learnin'?

Quote Originally Posted by madvette08 View Post

Ian
    What I was thinking before

Now the car will run on MAF only and there wont be any conflict between the VE and MAF when I tune my camaro with cam

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by ProudLs View Post

Now the car will run on MAF only and there wont be any conflict between the VE and MAF when I tune my camaro with cam

Thanks,
    Do yourself a favor and pay for the enhanced OS so you have a real VE table... and then do both.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Quote Originally Posted by ProudLs View Post

Thanks,
    It seems to me that with MAF only, cam tuning gets much simpler. There is no table to populate. Once you get the maf calibration right, it almost seems like there would be virtually no more tuning needed. I'm sure I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by general23cmp View Post
    It seems to me that with MAF only, cam tuning gets much simpler. There is no table to populate. Once you get the maf calibration right, it almost seems like there would be virtually no more tuning needed. I'm sure I'm missing something.
    Speed density has much snappier response and is more consistent at low load conditions, but is definitely more involved to calibrate. There's pros and cons to each camp. Since I charge trinkets compared to what shops charge to tune a cammed car, I typically do them MAF only, and they've all worked out just fine.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Speed density has much snappier response and is more consistent at low load conditions, but is definitely more involved to calibrate. There's pros and cons to each camp. Since I charge trinkets compared to what shops charge to tune a cammed car, I typically do them MAF only, and they've all worked out just fine.
    I was considering running a MAF only tune in my car but thought I heard that the VE portion of the tune (when you're running a blended tune) was needed by the transmission to calculate torque and subsequently alter the shift characteristics as needed. Any idea if that's true?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by thesubfloor View Post
    I was considering running a MAF only tune in my car but thought I heard that the VE portion of the tune (when you're running a blended tune) was needed by the transmission to calculate torque and subsequently alter the shift characteristics as needed. Any idea if that's true?
    Seems to be working just fine here without the Virtual VE garbage. MAF only all day in the new ECM's.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

If anyone has a 2010 camaro with turbos, I'd be very interested in seeing your tunes if possible. Corvettes with similar computers/engines are welcome to chime in as well.

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid View Post
    Seems to be working just fine here without the Virtual VE garbage. MAF only all day in the new ECM's.
    I'm currently running a new and (hopefully) bulletproof 6L80 so I'm almost a little leary of doing that until I know for sure it won't hurt the trans. Since this is the 7th one I've had in the car I'd like it to last for at least a little while.

I did a cammed G8 GT in MAF only, and it had no problems with the transmission. The PCM still reported torque just fine. I'm pretty sure the transmission is more dependent on the MAF than it is on speed density.