Thread: need advice: break in or tune first?

Lightbulb need advice: break in or tune first?

hey guys i need some advice, im workin eventually on a blower build. its gonna be a 427ci heads/cam/blower lsx. now say its all in and u just fired up the motor, what next? does one tune it just for ve and maf until broken in or does one break the motor in before any true tuning begins?
    n e input is greatly appericiated

thx,
    Tom
    2002 WS6 M6

fast toyz lid, descreened MAF, smooth air bellow, prc springs, Torquer V2, jet hot LTs, hooker ory, LM1 powerflo, ls7 clutch, 42 ford greenies, 3.73 Moser 12- Bolt.

What about tuning the idle and part throttle first, put a few hundred miles on the engine, then tuning WOT? Good idea?

Senior Tuner
    I would be tuning from minute one and adjusting as the engine breaks in. Is this build so deep that it will require a break in oil to be used? If so, once the break in oil is dropped, then I'd do the PE stuff. Thats me though, Id take my time with it and not try and do it all in a day.
    My thought, you want that car fueled properly asap so you don't damage it by washing out a ring or the other direction and burn one. Get the WB on and start right away. But I'm sure for the guys that have a build like that in their shops, where time is a factor, will step up this process quite a bit when it comes to tuning PE.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning744 View Post
    hey guys i need some advice, im workin eventually on a blower build. its gonna be a 427ci heads/cam/blower lsx. now say its all in and u just fired up the motor, what next? does one tune it just for ve and maf until broken in or does one break the motor in before any true tuning begins?
    n e input is greatly appericiated

thx,
    Tom
    totally depends on the engine being built and how tight tolerances are...
    if tolerances are really good then you can just rip one off from the get go and start tuning it all
    if tolerances were a little more budget minded and may not be perfect, then take your time and work it into the upper stuff.

its always better to correct as much as you can as soon as you can... dont want to destroy something expensive just because you dont have a good tune on the car.
    -Scott -

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post
    totally depends on the engine being built and how tight tolerances are...
    if tolerances are really good then you can just rip one off from the get go and start tuning it all
    if tolerances were a little more budget minded and may not be perfect, then take your time and work it into the upper stuff.

its always better to correct as much as you can as soon as you can... dont want to destroy something expensive just because you dont have a good tune on the car.
    yea def, the car is going 2 have blower heads and blower cam, its going to be within “tolerances”. this is a dream setup so everything is going to be done up right. i was thinkin of tunin ifr, idle to where it could be driven n e way, ve, and maf, then breaking the engine in. after that ill follow up with pe and wot stuff.
    2002 WS6 M6

fast toyz lid, descreened MAF, smooth air bellow, prc springs, Torquer V2, jet hot LTs, hooker ory, LM1 powerflo, ls7 clutch, 42 ford greenies, 3.73 Moser 12- Bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    I would be tuning from minute one and adjusting as the engine breaks in. Is this build so deep that it will require a break in oil to be used? If so, once the break in oil is dropped, then I'd do the PE stuff. Thats me though, Id take my time with it and not try and do it all in a day.
    My thought, you want that car fueled properly asap so you don't damage it by washing out a ring or the other direction and burn one. Get the WB on and start right away. But I'm sure for the guys that have a build like that in their shops, where time is a factor, will step up this process quite a bit when it comes to tuning PE.
    yea break in oil is going to be used 4 sure, i was thinkin the same thing keep the wb and labtop on the car from the very get-go until the car is finished.
    2002 WS6 M6

You must start tuning. You can not afford to have it be too rich and wash the cylinders out. That would be a good time to have a GOOD base file setup and have someone ride with you and constantly monitor the fueling.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB