Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The LNF Tuning Guide

Advanced Tuner
    Lol I had to draw it out on paper too - don't feel bad man!

My (unfounded) theory on the VE airflow PID - it works fine when all of the sensors are within their ranges, and all the factory controls are in place. With the pill mod, you are effectively bypassing/altering the factory boost control. I think the same thing probably happens to those with manual/electronic boost controlers - the VE airflow is skewed.

You custom PID divided by 20 should yield "relative cam angle". subtract exhaust FROM intake and divide by 20 and you should have change in lobe separation angle. With those formulae you see that in the highest load column, the overlap decreases with increasing RPM. The overlap is even less at idle, and significantly more (four degrees) in the midrange. By making the exhuast more negative and the intake more positive, we are further decreasing the overlap. If we change both cams by the same value in the same cells, we are not changing overlap, but rather advancing or retarding the cam events with respect to the crank.

Back to the big picture, the problem that most of us are battling is the stock turbo not maintaining power up to redline. Moving the cams may change the position on the efficiency map, but that is still a steep learning curve for me.
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

Advanced Tuner
    When I had my MBC it did that with the VE too.

Hmmm. I dont get why Im reading what seems to be an accurate VE. Another car I tuned with the pill also read similar VE to mine. But I did have that one that made wacky VE numbers too.

I bet the 3 bars will fix all of this, maybe someday GM will get CARB approval to get that Cobalt Stage1 OS out there

EDIT: Sorry for killing your thread btw, if a moderater wants maybe the should split this thread?
    Last edited by Gimpster; 10-13-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Here are new cam tables I am trying out on my car today. Retard intake cam and advance exhaust cam.

You going to dyno those Term?? Or you just plan on literally trying them on the car??

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    You going to dyno those Term?? Or you just plan on literally trying them on the car??
    Just trying them on the car for now. I wish I had more time to go to the dyno. I work too much sometimes. Did you try anything like that with the cam tables last time you were on the dyno?

I tried going the opposite way of the original tables you posted above 5K and still showed a loss in power. I was shocked!

Tuner in Training
    Ok, this is killing me...if anyone has time, please check out this log. Towards the end I roll into boost starting at about 4k in 3rd, and it instantly knocks badly. I hear it right from the engine bay, and this time I got it on the log. Bear in mind it does this randomly...usually there is no knock at all.

I've done multiple 2-3 runs, and the only KR is 2-3* at the very top of 3rd, which I'm working on eliminating. All the numbers seem to check out - timing is only increased 1* from stock, cams are untouched. I can post the tune if needed as well, but just looking at the log makes no sense to me...

Thanks in advance guys~
    Tom

That some wacky looking KR too!!!

Have you tried lower the tip-in timing at all?? Can you email me your tune also?? Ill take a look and comment on the timing

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    I tried going the opposite way of the original tables you posted above 5K and still showed a loss in power. I was shocked!
    I am not that shocked actually. I have never seen any real big gains on any of the cam settings I have tired and I have tried a ton of different settings. Advancing the intake cam up top adds a couple whp up top. Sometimes retarding the intake cam and advancing the exhaust cam nets a small gain in the low end to mid range power.

Tuner in Training
    That some wacky looking KR too!!!

Have you tried lower the tip-in timing at all?? Can you email me your tune also?? Ill take a look and comment on the timing

[email protected]
    That's where I was going to look next, actually. Tip-in is still stock, but I went ahead and changed it all to -3 for the next time I flash. I'm at work, but I'll send it your way as soon as I get home tonight. I greatly appreciate your help!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Ok, this is killing me...if anyone has time, please check out this log. Towards the end I roll into boost starting at about 4k in 3rd, and it instantly knocks badly. I hear it right from the engine bay, and this time I got it on the log. Bear in mind it does this randomly...usually there is no knock at all.

I've done multiple 2-3 runs, and the only KR is 2-3* at the very top of 3rd, which I'm working on eliminating. All the numbers seem to check out - timing is only increased 1* from stock, cams are untouched. I can post the tune if needed as well, but just looking at the log makes no sense to me...

Thanks in advance guys~
    Tom
    Lots of part throttle and lift throttle KR as well. My car knocked like crazy when I first installed my MBC. It has all gone away now so 25-26 psi in third gear 17* of timing and 0.875-0.883 lambda and no KR right now.

Tuner in Training
    Can you email me your tune also??

I was thinking maybe as a section 3 some torque mgmt stuff might be useful? I've more/less know what its all doing by reading a few old threads, but thought maybe that could get consolidated here too.

EDIT: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20339

Thats the thread I had bookmarked I reference often.
    Last edited by Gimpster; 10-15-2009 at 11:27 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Wow, I set a new personal record for MAF and VE lbs/min tonight! I tried the first cam tables that TERM posted, and held 30.5+ MAF lbs/min from 6300-7000 rpms. I also hit slightly over 29 lb/min on the VE. Pretty dense cold air though as well. My previous bests were mid 30's and quickly tapering off on the MAF, and low 28's on the VE.

I think I like my tune the way it is. Should be getting it dynoed this coming Friday, so I will be sure to post up some numbers if I do get them.

Remote Pillage

I took the time today to crawl under and over the car, took the wastegate solenoid loose and ran 2 1/2' of tubing from the solenoid to the source for the remote pill install. This way I can adjust or eliminate it in a minute. I'm looking into getting a needle valve to make it adjustable.

Hopefully the extra length of tubing won't add too much delay.

I tried to get a pic of the source tap, but angles and lighting sucked.

Excuse the dirt, it rained all week.

Last edited by Iam Broke; 10-25-2009 at 01:24 PM.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Boost spikes to 25 psi in third, 24 in second. Holds 20 psi at redline now instead of ~18 pill less.

This is with a .047 (1.2mm) pill. Need a .040 to try.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Trapped 114 running my pill tune over the weekend. My local track sucks fat cocks tho and I can't get the car to hook up for shit at the line. So Im going to try another track and get a damn 12.9 already lol...

Trapped 114 running my pill tune over the weekend. My local track sucks fat cocks tho and I can't get the car to hook up for shit at the line. So Im going to try another track and get a damn 12.9 already lol...
    Holy shit, 114? The kappa's do 14@99 stock. What kind of airflow were you seeing during the runs?
    Last edited by fr0stb1t3; 10-26-2009 at 10:16 AM.