Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interface lost contact in middle of write

Interface lost contact in middle of write

While I was doing a write cal today on an 05 GT the hp interface lost contact with the pcm and got stuck.

about 2 mins. into the write, an error message popped up and said something like "do not pull any fuses or disrupt power to the pcm" and then tried to reconnect and wouldn't.

I then tried several times to write the file to the pcm again and the message I got was the interface could not find the pcm and to make sure all the cables were connected.

after several attempts i had no choice but to unplug everything and close hp software and restart. no luck... I then shut down my laptop and restarted it and open hp software and tried to write again...still nothing could not find pcm. I tried unplugging the equipment and replugging and restarting the software multiple times, probably like 20 times....but it would not locate the pcm.

So I unhooked the hp interface and turned the key on, there was nothing no fuel pump prime, no relays. I thought I lost the pcm and would have to get it re flashed from ford.

at this point I took another brand of handheld programmer I had and hooked it up to the car and loaded in a file from it and luckily the car started afterwards...I then returned the car back to stock with the sct, and then tried the HP interface again it this time it worked and loaded in the file I was originally trying to get in. and the vehicle worked like it should.

I must have reflashed the car a dozen times with the hp interface this morning on the dyno before this problem happened. I have to say Im not sure what the cure would have been had I not been able to use another device to load a file into the pcm and get it going again.
    Last edited by Fox95; 07-25-2008 at 11:02 AM.
    Roadracing Crew Chief - World Superbike, British Superbike, Moto America.

we have tested recovery on all PCM types we support, never seen a problem. The FOrd ECM's are good in that you can't actually kill them by failing a write.

I have tested every failure scenario i could think of from simple comms error to completely diconnecting all power from the vehicle, interface and laptop (unplugging every cable).

Please send a VCM info file to support while connected to the vehicle and also the file you were writing to the PCM when the problem happened, so that i can double check there is not some new issue here.

Frustrating to hear you had to use a competitors product to get things working again
    I count sheep in hex...

I will get you the info emailed later today. hopefully this is an easy fix.

one other thing that's another topic.

I think theres a table that's mislabeled in the HPtuners ford parameters...

under engine>airflow>electronic throttle>ETC Predicted Throttle Angle vs. baro vs. vac.
    This table in other tuning software packages is called "open loop feed forward ta protection"

The top axis on this table in HPtuners is "baro pressure (inHg)" but the numbers in that axis don't seem to correlate to baro pressure as i see it, but the numbers do match effective throttle area values.

The top axis in the other brands tuning software is called "ETC_area_opening"

After making changes to the table in HPtuners it does the same thing as the differently named table in the other software.
    Last edited by Fox95; 07-25-2008 at 11:00 AM.

That is correct. It is mislabeled.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox95
    I will get you the info emailed later today. hopefully this is an easy fix.

one other thing that's another topic.

I think theres a table that's mislabeled in the HPtuners ford parameters...

under engine>airflow>electronic throttle>ETC Predicted Throttle Angle vs. baro vs. vac.
    This table in other tuning software packages is called "open loop feed forward ta protection"

The top axis on this table in HPtuners is "baro pressure (inHg)" but the numbers in that axis don't seem to correlate to baro pressure as i see it, but the numbers do match effective throttle area values.

The top axis in the other brands tuning software is called "ETC_area_opening"

After making changes to the table in HPtuners it does the same thing as the differently named table in the other software.
    Thanks, I've forwarded the info.

-Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Found another problem with a table.

This is on an 2008 gt500

under Spark>Spark Decel:

The top axis is RPMs and looks like this in HPtuners:

650, 700, 3837, 6973, 10110, 13246, 16383

This is the actual RPMs it should look like:

650, 700, 1200, 1700, 2200, 2700, 3200

Now...the reads I have done on older mustangs up to 2007 so far are ok and read the proper RPM's in this axis. So I am assuming this is a 08 issue only...

Next Problem.....

Under Torque Management> Indicated Engine Torque:

I am assuming this table is supposed to be the "Torque Table" that the PCM uses to calculate the amount of torque the engine is producing. In other Tuner software this Is called "Torque Table" and it's grouped under "Torque Calculation"

The problem here is that anytime you make a change to the table "Indicated Engine Torque" in HP tuners, it sets the Wrench light and sends the car into reduced power mode immediately, as soon as you turn the key on, you don't even have to start the engine and the wrench is on with the check engine light.

I have tried this on a stock cal file and made this the only change to the file and loaded it in and it's in limp mode imediately

Generally this table is increased by about 40% for supercharged applications when using other software, but in HP, you can't mod it all all or the car won't run.
    Last edited by Fox95; 07-28-2008 at 09:41 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

This is on an 2008 gt500

under Spark>Spark Decel:

Now...the reads I have done on older mustangs up to 2007 so far are ok and read the proper RPM's in this axis. So I am assuming this is a 08 issue only...

Next Problem.....

Under Torque Management> Indicated Engine Torque:

I am assuming this table is supposed to be the "Torque Table" that the PCM uses to calculate the amount of torque the engine is producing. In other Tuner software this Is called "Torque Table" and it's grouped under "Torque Calculation"

The problem here is that anytime you make a change to the table "Indicated Engine Torque" in HP tuners, it sets the Wrench light and sends the car into reduced power mode immediately, as soon as you turn the key on, you don't even have to start the engine and the wrench is on with the check engine light.

I have tried this on a stock cal file and made this the only change to the file and loaded it in and it's in limp mode imediately

Generally this table is increased by about 40% for supercharged applications when using other software, but in HP, you can't mod it all all or the car won't run.
    Please send support the file in question, a vcm suite info log and a link to this thread so I can have our engineer look over the file.

Thanks,
    Bill

here's the attached file...

although I am unsure about how to generate an info log?...can you tell me how.
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 07-29-2008 at 06:06 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Sure here is how to create an infolog http://www.hptuners.com/help/index.h...mersupport.htm

Info log is now attached above under the tune file...thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I've removed the infolog from the thread since it has sensitive info we don't want floating around.

I'll be sending the info to our engineer in a few moments.

ok thanks....

btw, bill, can you look at that info log that I attached and tell me what series of cars I am close to unlocking for unlimited licensing judging by the credits I have purcshased so far and how many more credits I would need to do so.

thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    btw, bill, can you look at that info log that I attached and tell me what series of cars I am close to unlocking for unlimited licensing judging by the credits I have purcshased so far and how many more credits I would need to do so.

thanks
    You can actually view that EXACT information through your Help-License info-upgrade credit licenses screen in your editor or scanner.

The infolog only shows how many vehicles you licensed but doesn't show how many credits are needed to go to the year/model license.

From the looks of it though you've done tuning of quite a diverse set of vehicles

(1) 04 Tahoe
    (1) 05 Corvette
    (1) 06 GTO
    (1) 04 GTO
    (2) 99 Camaro/Firebird
    (1) 04 Corvette
    (1) 01 Corvette
    (1) 99 Siverado
    (1) 02 Camaro/Firebird
    (1) 02 Silverado
    (1) 03 Silverado
    (1) 04 Silverado
    (1) 99 Corvette
    (1) 07 Corvette
    (1) 02 Buick Regal

So the closest to a year/model license would probably be the (2) 99 Fbodies since the rest you just did 1 of, but again the best way to go about it is to refer to the upgrade credits form http://www.hptuners.com/help/introdu...cense_info.htm

Also remember that single licenses can be put toward year/model & year/model licenses are credited towards tunershop licenses.

thanks...I guess it looked like more on paper...lol

I lost contact again today on the same vehicle this thread was started for. I'll attach the tune to this post. you have the info log already.

Basically the interface lost communication and gave the "red" error message half way through a write today on an 05 Mustang GT. I'd flashed the computer 4 times earlier this morning and on the last one it crapped and told me not to unplug anything or remove and fuses etc....

Tuner in Training
    I tuned a 2007 Last week that had some communications troubles. Same message as your describing. here are a few things that I tryed and learned. Voltage seemed to be an issue, I ran a 12amp charger on the car the whole time it was on the dyno...

After a long battle of lost communication and about 15 failed writes, I was willing to try anything. Just for the chance of it working I opened the door so the retained power would go off during the 3 second ignition cycle. Never once after that did I have an issue with communication on this car. I did every write from that point with the door open and never lost communication.

Somthing to try anyway...

I am beginning to think that it could be a low battery voltage problem.

I was speaking with an engineer for one if the other brands of tuners and he was telling me that thier handheld bumped up the voltage at the obdii connector to 18v when the programmer was doing its thing, no sure the why as he didint get into it but I'd have to assume it was keep their programmer from losing contact at low voltages? I have seen sniper tuners do the same thing if a battery charger wasnt connected during programming.

ford requires an 18V signal on the OBD connector to put the PCM into programming mode, thats why you need to cycle the key in our software. If the battery voltage is low (or high) there is a chance the flash chip will not program correctly. Most flash chips require 12VDC +/- 0.5 V
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    thanks...I guess it looked like more on paper...lol

I lost contact again today on the same vehicle this thread was started for. I'll attach the tune to this post. you have the info log already.

Basically the interface lost communication and gave the "red" error message half way through a write today on an 05 Mustang GT. I'd flashed the computer 4 times earlier this morning and on the last one it crapped and told me not to unplug anything or remove and fuses etc....
    Basically looked like a lot out of pocket. LOL. I have a few years unlocked, but they take a while to build up the credits.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

This is on an 2008 gt500

under Spark>Spark Decel:

This is fixed in the newest beta, please contact support at hptuners.com if you would like access.