Thread: Knock retard in rpm range

Tuner in Training

Knock retard in rpm range

I've been trying to get my tune in order. My tuner had the wrong size injectors in the tune and my commanded a/f wasn't matching actual.

I put in the correct injector size and starting tuning the maf based on STFT. Commanded PE A/F now closely matches A/F.

I have a couple questions. Please review my log and tune and see if you can help.

1) Is it possible for a 416 stroker to hit over 1g/cyl calculated cylinder air?
    2) I have some KR on the log...in the log you can see a third gear pull and a 2-3 gear pull. The KR seems to be in the same spot but more pronounced when starting in a lower gear. I've always had .2-6. KR in this area. However, I have as much as 1.5 KR now with my tuning tweaks.
    3) Is VE turned off in the tune?
    4) How do I tune VE?
    5) What are the tables that merge with PE? Is it just the maf tables?
    6) What is the knock learn factor shown on the log?
    7) What tables are added together to equal calculated cylinder air?

EDIT: Just noticed it pulled up to 0.8 before my PE and MAF tuning. So i'm wondering if the knock sensor is just very sensitive or something in this area needs attention. I've tried pulling 1-2 degrees of timing and it didn't seem to help. Fuel doesn't seem to help either. The 8/22/09 log shows it before I changed the tune. Timing is the same in both tunes.

Thanks.
    Last edited by 0-60n3; 09-07-2009 at 11:30 PM.
    2006 GTO A4
    LS3 427

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 0-60n3 View Post
    I've been trying to get my tune in order. My tuner had the wrong size injectors in the tune and my commanded a/f wasn't matching actual.

I put in the correct injector size and starting tuning the maf based on STFT. Commanded PE A/F now closely matches A/F.

I have a couple questions. Please review my log and tune and see if you can help.

1) Is it possible for a 416 stroker to hit over 1g/cyl calculated cylinder air?
    2) I have some KR on the log...in the log you can see a third gear pull and a 2-3 gear pull. The KR seems to be in the same spot but more pronounced when starting in a lower gear. I've always had .2-6. KR in this area. However, I have as much as 1.5 KR now with my tuning tweaks.
    3) Is VE turned off in the tune?
    4) How do I tune VE?
    5) What are the tables that merge with PE? Is it just the maf tables?
    6) What is the knock learn factor shown on the log?
    7) What tables are added together to equal calculated cylinder air?

EDIT: Just noticed it pulled up to 0.8 before my PE and MAF tuning. So i'm wondering if the knock sensor is just very sensitive or something in this area needs attention. I've tried pulling 1-2 degrees of timing and it didn't seem to help. Fuel doesn't seem to help either. The 8/22/09 log shows it before I changed the tune. Timing is the same in both tunes.

Thanks.
    First off you dont need 28 degrees of timing to run a 414 ci motor.The bigger the bore the less timing it needs to make power. If you ran the car on a dyno you wouldnt see a power increase from 26 to 28 degrees.
    1 Yes it is possible to hit 1.0
    2 Too much timing is causing the very little KR.
    3 Yes VE is turned off which isnt a bad thing at all.
    4 Leave VE turned off and tune the MAF

Advanced Tuner
    So you have a 4" crank in your LS2 block? CR of 11:1 or so?

Forged pistons or cast?

Tuner in Training
    11.3 Compression
    LS3 block
    All forged internals
    2006 GTO A4
    LS3 427

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 0-60n3 View Post
    11.3 Compression
    LS3 block
    All forged internals
    Forged pistons generally make a little more noise than factory cast pistons especially at lower rpms, so that added to the higher CR and there you have more KR tendency.

Your knock multiplier tables could probably use some revision based on where you are getting KR, provided you dont have genuine knock.

If you log KR on a per cylinder basis, it may be that you simply have one of two cylinders that need attention.
    Last edited by LSX378; 09-08-2009 at 08:06 AM.

The knock sensors are sensitive in the LS3, If you have tried to take timing out and its the same amount it is more then likely they are hearing noise. And stoker motor can see 1 g.cyl airmass and my friend has a LS2 427 that hits 1.16 g.cyl airmass.

Ian
    2008 Corvette A6 - Comp Cams 231/239 617/624 109 ICL 113 LSA, Patariot Extreme Dual Springs .660", Milled .30" Stock LS3 Heads, Mahle -4cc pistons, FTI 3600 Converter, 1 7/8 kooks cat-less 3 inch X-Pipe, air raid intake, ported TB, SLP Loudmouth I. 512hp/464tq

2011 Ford Taurus SHO - stock with just a Tune