Thread: Checked into getting lambda pro meter like on Gregs Dvd! WOW!

Checked into getting lambda pro meter like on Gregs Dvd! WOW!

Didn't see a price ont the ecm website but found one somewhere else..3495!
    WOW those suckers are super expensive! Guess just have to muck my way thru with my plx wideband.
    99 TAWS6 ERL 427 superdeck,AFR 225, LS9 cam, 1.7 yella terras, fluiddampr, fast 90/90,APS Twin turbos LG upgraded turbos,cutout.80 pound injectors, RPM 4l80e ,yank py3400, dana 60, lonnies dual pump fuel system,zex direct port,ron davis rad,ais alc injection
    interceptor guages, eboost 2.

Other toys 91 race talon turbo awd, 97 talon awd turbo, 2008 Z06

Senior Tuner
    I knew previously the thing was insane expensive. I was wondering why he used it to teach people how to setup tables/tune using the values for a LAMBDA_PRO outputs on a $295 DVD myself. Lol
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Expensive for the casual tuner? Sure. But how much does a proper load bearing dyno cost? Monthly rent on a GOOD shop location? Payroll? Insurance? Taxes? You get the picture... If someone is running a professional operation, this expense really isn't out of the question if it legitimately gives you more consistent, accurate data. I am a professional calibrator and use professional equipment, so I have invested accordingly.

ECM offers a significant discount to students who have taken my classes. They have several different lab-grade sensors at various price points (both above and below the Lpro) to meet different needs. For those of you looking for a more affordable consumer solution, I'd recommend the NGK AFX since it's made by ECM using the same general control logic as my Lambda Pro.

Can you set the ngk to lambda like the lambda pro??
    99 TAWS6 ERL 427 superdeck,AFR 225, LS9 cam, 1.7 yella terras, fluiddampr, fast 90/90,APS Twin turbos LG upgraded turbos,cutout.80 pound injectors, RPM 4l80e ,yank py3400, dana 60, lonnies dual pump fuel system,zex direct port,ron davis rad,ais alc injection

Senior Tuner
    Yes.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Tuner in Training
    buy one....send it to China or India and they will make em cheap
    02 EB Mod Red, Forged 402, Ported Fast 90 & Ported 90 TB, CNC Heads, Built MN6 trans, Built Diff, DTE, Pfadt Trans Brace, Pfadt Motor Mounts, STS TT (Garrett GT32 turbos) @ 11lbs, STS air bridge, Tial BOV, Tial ext wastegate, FMIC, HP Tuners, K&N, B&M shifter, boost gauge on A-pillar panel, 60lb injectors, Racetronix fuel pump and Boost-A-Pump

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by jmoody66 View Post
    buy one....send it to China or India and they will make em cheap
    Great...........................

I don't see any way to set the ngk to lamba lke the ecm lambda pro.

Quote Originally Posted by ALB View Post
    I don't see any way to set the ngk to lamba lke the ecm lambda pro.
    Me either, which is why I am waiting for a followup to that Yes reply about it above. It's proving to be a real PITA to tune E85 with this thing.

Advanced Tuner
    You can get an AFM1000 for 1/3 the price and an optional digital display (like the AFX) for a few hundred dollars more. Mines configured to display Lambda, so there isn't much left between the 2x setups really

the NGK AFX will only display AFR for Gasoline...
    as stated in the manual...
    Code:
    Please note that the display on the AFX controller is fixed to read on a gasoline AFR
    scale. This does not mean that it will not work with other fuels such as methanol. The
    system still operates on a principle of Lambda, so it is relatively simple to interpret the
    display values and adapt it to any fuel type you choose.
    but you can make your scanner show it as lambda with a custom Aux(EIO) PID

Gasoline AFR = (VOUT x 1.4) + 9.
    Methanol AFR = (VOUT x 0.616) + 3.96
    Lambda = (VOUT x 0.096) + 0.62
    Last edited by S2H; 09-08-2009 at 12:26 AM.
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post
    Code:
    Please note that the display on the AFX controller is fixed to read on a gasoline AFR
    scale. This does not mean that it will not work with other fuels such as methanol. The
    system still operates on a principle of Lambda, so it is relatively simple to interpret the

And useful for tuning Fords with their Lambda targets as opposed to equivalence ratios

I should also mention...
    when you make the custom aux PID... its Volts/range + AFR

so you have to do a little math with those equations...turn the (VOUT x ##)+AFR into a (VOUT/(1/##))+AFR

so its basically that ## and make it 1/## to get the result

Gasoline AFR = (VOUT/0.714) + 9.
    Methanol AFR = (VOUT/1.623) + 3.96
    Lambda = (VOUT/10.416) + 0.62
    -Scott -

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post
    Code:

Unfortunately, that is one of the 'small details' I happened to overlook when I was doing my shopping. It's always harder to decide what to buy the first time since there is a lot of information to process.

If my only project were HP Tuners with either the MPVI Pro or a spare analog input to the PCM, the formulae you posted would work perfectly. Sadly, my hardest project at the moment is an OBD1 Caprice on E85 which doesn't export any kind of AFR information to the datalog stream. For this case, not having lambda display is proving to be a real pain since I have to constantly interpret the number that shows up on the display as a different number.

I only mention this because I never considered it before my purchase and nobody mentioned it in any of the threads I read on the subject. This unit is perfect if you are running gasoline that has a stoich value of 14.7 in the context of HP Tuners (and probably that 'other' tuner as well). It becomes a LOT less than the perfect choice if you are working on an OBD1 car with an alternative fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast9C1 View Post
    Unfortunately, that is one of the 'small details' I happened to overlook when I was doing my shopping. It's always harder to decide what to buy the first time since there is a lot of information to process.

If my only project were HP Tuners with either the MPVI Pro or a spare analog input to the PCM, the formulae you posted would work perfectly. Sadly, my hardest project at the moment is an OBD1 Caprice on E85 which doesn't export any kind of AFR information to the datalog stream. For this case, not having lambda display is proving to be a real pain since I have to constantly interpret the number that shows up on the display as a different number.

I only mention this because I never considered it before my purchase and nobody mentioned it in any of the threads I read on the subject. This unit is perfect if you are running gasoline that has a stoich value of 14.7 in the context of HP Tuners (and probably that 'other' tuner as well). It becomes a LOT less than the perfect choice if you are working on an OBD1 car with an alternative fuel.
    you obviously dont understand...
    all you need to know is what the voltage output is..and you can easily translate the lambda into an afr value if you need it to say that

simply put...it doesnt mater what fuel you use...
    stoich on all vehicles is lambda 1.0...regardless of what fuel it is
    the wideband looks at the burn ratio...not the fuel you put in...it has no idea about the airmass or the fuel charge that happens in your vehicle...
    as lng as it has a stoich burn...its all good...
    even if you used a fuel that burned at 7.0:1...it would still read lambda 1.0 for the output voltage...

the # on the display is just a math # that has been pre designated..
    you can ignore the output on the little screen...and besides...its going to be too slow anyways..
    if you burn e85 at 9.76:1 (stoich) the screen will just read 14.63:1(gas stoich)
    so ignore the screen...look at the voltage output and convert it to match the values for your fuel type...

and in either case..you cant look at the slow output of the screen to do tuning...you need the data to go somewhere else where you can see it in fine detail and make changes in the appropriate places in the tune of the vehicle...

if you aren't data logging...don't try to tune...simple as that

you can always find an alternative input for the wideband...theres bound to be a connector somewhere that isnt being used or isnt a necessity to use while tuning(ac pressure/air pump/egr) you can always send the voltage from your wideband into one of these sensor connectors and then use that data and do some simple math later with an excel spreadsheet if necessary...
    but you have to data log it either way
    -Scott -

Smile

Very good info their scott-

I must also agree with greg-that a pro-shop charging good money for a good service should have good equipment-

but for the average joe blow to go out and spend $3000-4000 for a afr-lamba meter is just crazy-