Thread: What funtion does Maximun Torque RPM vs. Gear do

Advanced Tuner

What funtion does Maximun Torque RPM vs. Gear do

Can someone clarify what this table controls exactly? Does it limit torque to what is set in the table? If the engine exceeds the amount in the table what happens? My car is a M6. Thanks.
    2016 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L

I'm guessing if it exceeds the amount of torque entered in the table, it will start to pull timing to lessen the amount of torque. This is under torque management right?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
    I'm guessing if it exceeds the amount of torque entered in the table, it will start to pull timing to lessen the amount of torque. This is under torque management right?
    Yes it is. For some reason mine was set to 403 from the factory. The reason I am asking is because that is right on the amount of torque my car puts down. Could this table cause, induce or help wheel hop if I hit or exceed the limit?

It would effect it but I doubt your making that much torque off the line so it's not reducing torque off the line. Just when you hit or exceed 403 where-ever in the rpm range it may hit that amount, but there's no way it's that much off the line to limit it anyway. But regardless, Just max out all the values to eliminate the torque management for that.

Advanced Tuner
    I have maxed it out already. Since my car is a manual I only get wheel hop at hard launches and fast upshifts. It seems (could be psychological) that the wheel hop has let up some since I've adjusted this table.

It's possible that it has because eliminating the timing pull would results in a constant flow of power or torque which would most likely cause the tires to spin rather than cause wheel hop unless of coarse the amount of torque puts the tires right on the boarder of grip, and spin which would result in wheel hop.

Advanced Tuner
    It could be a combination of both or either or. I'm not sure.

If it's still wheel hoping but you feel it's not doing it as much, it was probably a combination of both.

Tuner in Training
    Max is 639, set it there.

Advanced Tuner
    I bumped mine to 6042 across the board. Is that too much and will it have any adverse affects on the car?

Advanced Tuner
    some would confuse between the two, note the attachment, the functions of both tables seem to overlap TO ME, however it would be nice to know if the big table works, and would be VERY handy in controlling wheelspin on high powered cars in the two first gears at least.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 99LS1SS View Post
    I bumped mine to 6042 across the board. Is that too much and will it have any adverse affects on the car?
    It will not hurt to set them all to 6042. The only adverse effect will be breaking traction more often, and the TCS system becoming more busy keeping things under control.

Quote Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
    some would confuse between the two, note the attachment, the functions of both tables seem to overlap TO ME, however it would be nice to know if the big table works, and would be VERY handy in controlling wheelspin on high powered cars in the two first gears at least.
    I was going to start a new thread, but this is basically what I'm trying to figure out. There are 2 different torque management vs. gear/rpm tables, and I'm a little confused.

The first table is under: torque management^general^maximum torque^rpm vs. gear. My M6 Corvette came from the factory with this table maxed out at 6,042 ft.lb.

The other table is under: torque management^general^max torque -- and it has a seperate table for each gear. My stock file shows 85 ft.lbs at 500 rpm, increasing to 280 ft.lbs at 3000 rpm.

Can someone tell me what the 2 tables do on an M6 car? I'm not too worried about the first one, as it came maxed out from the factory. The second one is the one I'm interested in. I know I could just max out every gear to 6042, but I'd like to know what it actually does.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWMD82 View Post
    I was going to start a new thread, but this is basically what I'm trying to figure out. There are 2 different torque management vs. gear/rpm tables, and I'm a little confused.

The first table is under: torque management^general^maximum torque^rpm vs. gear. My M6 Corvette came from the factory with this table maxed out at 6,042 ft.lb.

The other table is under: torque management^general^max torque -- and it has a seperate table for each gear. My stock file shows 85 ft.lbs at 500 rpm, increasing to 280 ft.lbs at 3000 rpm.

Can someone tell me what the 2 tables do on an M6 car? I'm not too worried about the first one, as it came maxed out from the factory. The second one is the one I'm interested in. I know I could just max out every gear to 6042, but I'd like to know what it actually does.
    With regards to the first table, it seems to me that seeing how you have a manual transmission you should ask yourself how the pcm would know what gear you are in.

BJK
    APS TT 630 rwhp/654 rwtq @ 9 psi
    '07 C6, TR6060 conversion w/Z06 ratios. DTE Stage 4 Quaife Diff w/brace (3.73). Z06 Brakes, mild turbo cam & dual springs (222/222, LSA 115, .581/.581), LS9R clutch, LG GT2 Coilovers, Autometer Cobalt Fuel gauage, Progressive Alky Controller, and e-Boost2 Controller. PFADT poly bushing for control arms and Sports sway bars. MGW shifter. 3" B&B Fusion. RSI Stage 1.5 fuel system. RX dual valve catch can.

Max them both to remove power limiting

Quote Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp View Post
    With regards to the first table, it seems to me that seeing how you have a manual transmission you should ask yourself how the pcm would know what gear you are in.

BJK
    Well, that would be either the first table OR the 2nd set of tables. They are all related to gear and rpm. As for the 2nd set of tables, they are all set the same from the factory in my car -- so it doesn't really matter if the pcm knows or can theorize what gear I'm in.

I'm just wondering if they are limiting anything. From the factory all gears in the 2nd set of tables were set to a max of 280 at the end of the table (3000 rpm). A previous tuner set them all to 420. My car makes more than 420 rwtq at 3000 rpm, so I'm wondering if there is limiting going on if I have traction control turned on.

Any reason not to max them out?

My thinking was that the pcm does know what gear is being used if it has an automatic.

BJK
    APS TT 630 rwhp/654 rwtq @ 9 psi
    '07 C6, TR6060 conversion w/Z06 ratios. DTE Stage 4 Quaife Diff w/brace (3.73). Z06 Brakes, mild turbo cam & dual springs (222/222, LSA 115, .581/.581), LS9R clutch, LG GT2 Coilovers, Autometer Cobalt Fuel gauage, Progressive Alky Controller, and e-Boost2 Controller. PFADT poly bushing for control arms and Sports sway bars. MGW shifter. 3" B&B Fusion. RSI Stage 1.5 fuel system. RX dual valve catch can.

Quote Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp View Post
    My thinking was that the pcm does know what gear is being used if it has an automatic.

BJK
    Yeah, I got that. That's pretty much a given on a modern automatic car.

While my PCM doesn't have a true way of knowing what gear it's in, all the gear tables are set the same, so I see it as a moot point. Just wondering if they're doing anything in their current setting.