Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird idle problems

Weird idle problems

I have an APS TT equiped 99t/a ,and am having trouble getting the thing to idle in gear, well only in rev,od 3, and 1. In 2nd gear it idles fine. it seems to go balls lean in the other gears when i move the shifter to rev.od,3 or 1. Any ideas. The car also has a 4l80 swap. The car goes into OL, Accel/Decell mode when in these problem gears and the trims will not move, I also have logs of this. With a few percent throttle it is fine, and one the car starts rolling its fine. Ther car makes good power 850whp throught the 4l80. I am trying to post the file and logs now.
    2008/2010 LSX SHOOTOUT CHAMPION
    First 5th gen in the 9's
    TX mile LSX Record Holder
    GETTING IT DONE WORLD WIDE!!!
    Late Model Racecraft
    713-466-9900
    WWW.LATEMODELRACECRAFT.COM

Here is a log of the problems
    First 5th gen in the 9's
    Late Model Racecraft
    713-466-9900

Hey are you on ls1tech.com too? How about mod list. You are on the standard turbos? They are still alive at that power level? Any pics of the 4l80 installed doing that to mine shortly.I know its really close on the passenger gate.

Post you tune file. I am m6 for a couple more weeks. Ordering my RPM 4l80 next day or so.
    99 TAWS6 ERL 427 superdeck,AFR 225, LS9 cam, 1.7 yella terras, fluiddampr, fast 90/90,APS Twin turbos LG upgraded turbos,cutout.80 pound injectors, RPM 4l80e ,yank py3400, dana 60, lonnies dual pump fuel system,zex direct port,ron davis rad,ais alc injection
    interceptor guages, eboost 2.

Other toys 91 race talon turbo awd, 97 talon awd turbo, 2008 Z06

Wow that is a weird one...

I have about 12 OS's that have been segment swapped that I use for 80s. Some of these have some hokey things going on here and there.... not exactly what you are seeing, but I would be suspect. If you have another OS that has it's trans segment swapped maybe try moving over your cal data to it and see if the problem is still present.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Ok, I will try that, and
    this is the extreme APS kit with the upgraded turbos and
    APS fuel system
    416 with trick flows, and a custom cam
    92mm fast intake and throttle body
    that about it the car is way over geared though, it has a 3.73 in it
    First 5th gen in the 9's
    Late Model Racecraft
    713-466-9900

Tried 3 different os that are known good files, and no success, can someone explain how the pulsewidth can go up 1.0ms and the air fuel stay the same
    First 5th gen in the 9's
    Late Model Racecraft
    713-466-9900

Sounds like wicked setup there guy! Should really haul the mail.
    Post the tune.
    99 TAWS6 ERL 427 superdeck,AFR 225, LS9 cam, 1.7 yella terras, fluiddampr, fast 90/90,APS Twin turbos LG upgraded turbos,cutout.80 pound injectors, RPM 4l80e ,yank py3400, dana 60, lonnies dual pump fuel system,zex direct port,ron davis rad,ais alc injection

Senior Tuner
    What injectors are you using? Brand/Part # please.

Also, as others have mentioned, please post up the tune if you would like for us to try and help.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Tunning @ LMR View Post
    Tried 3 different os that are known good files, and no success, can someone explain how the pulsewidth can go up 1.0ms and the air fuel stay the same
    Because many injectors (including the SD 80's) cannot consistently open and close for pulsewidths of less than 1.0ms. Couple this with inaccurate offset or short pulse adjust data, and you'll have all kinds of neat issues at light load.

The fixes are: 1) use the proper injector data and 2) try to avoid running such small airmasses that it requires fuel pulses below the injector's minimum physical capacity. 80's don't like extremely small fuel mass targets, but have all kinds of top end capacity. That's the tradeoff.

The pulse width at idle is 2.4, and when put in gear it goes to 3.5 and is balls lean, the injectors are the ractronix 79lbs per hr, at 70psi, which would make the 100lbs per hr according to the hp tuners conversion. I have tried to post the tune but, it stalls half way throught the download, and and says the page cannot be displayed. I will try again. I have done several of these 4l80 conversions with prochargers, and big injector and not had these problems. We changed the pcm yesterday also, and did the same thing.
    First 5th gen in the 9's
    Late Model Racecraft
    713-466-9900

Here is the file
    First 5th gen in the 9's
    Late Model Racecraft
    713-466-9900

Your ve around idle looks very low. Your boost pe is 1.0 across the board thats 14.7 should be like 11.8. Your PE is more like 11.8 most would set that to like 12.8. Just couple things I am noticing in the tune. Never seen a tune like that..is this a pro tuner?

Why would you run a car that make 850whp at 12.8 air fuel on pump gas. And the idle region on this car is 75kpa and higher. I will fix the boost pe, but I know it will not effect the idle.
    Last edited by Tunning @ LMR; 08-26-2009 at 03:13 PM.
    First 5th gen in the 9's
    Late Model Racecraft
    713-466-9900

I'm still a noob at tuning and I'm having plenty of problems myself trying to tune my car, but I've never seen the Injector Flow Rate vs. KPA table have the same value all the way across. Is it supposed to be like that?
    2016 Camaro SS
    Full exhaust, rotofab CAI, ported IM/TB, E85, 3600rpm stall TC

Quote Originally Posted by Tunning @ LMR View Post
    Why would you run a car that make 850whp at 12.8 air fuel on pump gas. And the idle region on this car is 75kpa and higher. I will fix the boost pe, but I know it will not effect the idle.
    Your cylinder volume is not set for a 416 engine its set for a 346 it looks like.
    You are not in boost at all rpms. your car is not always going to be in boost at lower rpm especially in lower gears so you set PE to 12.8 usally best power NA. BE takes over under boost and overrides the PE and thats where most set it to 11.8 or so. If you e10 you can set things like 12.3 and 11.3 if you don't change stoic since e10 runs about .5 leaner than pure gas.

Stoick for e10 is like 14.1x

I realize the PE and BE is not affecting your idle. For that would set that cylinder volume and play with ve. Stil with the BE set to 1.0 what the heck afr are you getting under boost? Or are they compensating by leaving cylinder volume to 7.0 instead of proper value for a 416??

And ifr is straight across when you run a boost referenced regulator.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmypop13 View Post
    I'm still a noob at tuning and I'm having plenty of problems myself trying to tune my car, but I've never seen the Injector Flow Rate vs. KPA table have the same value all the way across. Is it supposed to be like that?
    That's for a boost referenced fuel system, where the fuel pressure follows the boost curve.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Good point I did not think about it that way, thanks. I have a lot going on and some extra eyes always helps.
    First 5th gen in the 9's
    Late Model Racecraft
    713-466-9900

anyone have correct info for 79lb racetronics injectors, voltage offsets and such????
    First 5th gen in the 9's
    Late Model Racecraft
    713-466-9900

I have those injectors in my car and never changed the offsets. Won't even try until I read Greg's DVD. No issues with idle except when I turn on the A/C. Just got the A/C working again and haven't worked on it yet. Is this Joe BTW? Need to chat with you some time.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Yes this is Joe Stil having problems with this car have tried everthing. Tps voltage is .64. The pulse widths are not that small 2.0ms in neutral, and they rise to 3.2ms in gear but the car is stil lean. It has a AEM widband in the car and the wideband in neutral bounce between 14.0 and 15.2, and in gear it goes to --------- lean. I have tried open loop closed loop, and a combo of both, and stil the same result. I will try a brand new pcm next or a T-com box and program it for a 6speed.
    Last edited by Tunning @ LMR; 09-01-2009 at 04:37 PM.
    First 5th gen in the 9's
    Late Model Racecraft
    713-466-9900