Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner G8 GT trans tuning

Advanced Tuner
    Calibration and it will limit from the ECM tune. GMLAN it will wait for a message to come in on the GMLAN/CAN bus from another module.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bluessv View Post
    Allmachtige,

That's an interesting tune you postedd last. Excellent use of the TM settings while utilising the Adder Modifier table. I see you have a varied TM application through the torque band. With the use of "-1.000" at the high end rev/torque band you basically elliminate the TM during the shift. At a WOT application on your 1-2 and 2-3 shifts you should have no TM being applied by the TCM. Can you please confirm that this is the case?

Otherwise I think we are all starting to get a better understanding of the TM system and how the TCM applies the TM based on the many tables it has for referrence. Awesome!!
    he is using some of the stuff i posted above...
    myself am running -.90 most i see the timing drop down to is 10* on WOT shift...
    i like it alot drives like stock around town. My whole adder modifier tables is filled out.
    https://www.facebook.com/tuningbyshanehinds
    [email protected]
    2009 G8 GT [email protected] 1.60 - Sold
    2008 A6 LS3 C6 Cammed [email protected] 1.44 Sold
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Advanced Tuner
    and to see if 100% TM is remove in his tune he will need to do a wot pass and look at the timing on shifts.
    [email protected]
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Yeah I definitely believe that the Adder Modifier table is the key to achieving a shift feel that is close to stock on light throttle, little firmer on mid throttle and nice and hard on WOT.

Has anyone done experiments on the Shift Time Transition (Initial and Final) tables with any positive results. I personally played around with the Initial and final tables on the 2-3 shift which people often claim are quite sloppy compared to other shifts.

Any thoughts or input??

Tuner
    My timing drops to an average of 19* during shifts with my current Adder Modifier table, however this is probably enough timing to induce KR. I can see upwards of 2* of knock during a shift, but sometimes none.

If you look at the Adder Modifier I'm using, I might take the 4 cells with -1.000 values and replace them with -0.900.

As for the Shift Time Transition tables, I've never looked at these but they might be what I'm looking for because the 2-3 shift always feels different from the rest.

2009 G8 GT - White Hot

226/234 601/601 112+4, Yank SS 3600, SLP Longtubes, Magnaflow exhaust, Rotofab, 3.91 Rear

Something I found interesting....

All shifts have the same values for the "Normal" and "Special" tables. For example, the 1-2 table in the Shift Time Transition "Normal" table is the same as the "Special" table. And so on... for every shift both Initial and Final.

Except of course the 2-3 shift for some reason. The values in the Initial "Normal" table are not the same as the Initial "Special" table, nor are they the same for the Final "Normal" and Final "Special".

I used the other shifts as a guide as well as the stock GXP tune that has been posted in several other threads. I tried to come up with a table that I liked and then made sure they were the same whether it was "Normal" or "Special". I felt a positive result and more consistent shift feel so try it out. And if there is anyone out there that knows more about these tables that wishes to chime in please do so.

And stuff knows why the Max Adapt Volume for the 2-3 shift is set to "40" when all other shifts are set to "200"?? But I know the guys out there are getting a positive result with changing this value from "40" to "200". I noticed you have done this so far so maybe your lazy shift does ly somewhere in those Shift time Transition tables??

Tuner
    Care to share what you did in the Initial/Final tables to make the 2-3 shift feel better?

I set my Max Adapt Vol for 2-3 to 200 because just about everyone else does so, plus it seems like that would contribute to the strange 2-3 shift most people complain about.

2009 G8 GT - White Hot

226/234 601/601 112+4, Yank SS 3600, SLP Longtubes, Magnaflow exhaust, Rotofab, 3.91 Rear

This is a copy of a tune I developed a few weeks back. It's only slightly different to stock as far as shift feel and for this reason it wouldn't suit most people.

It has an Adder Modifier table that is oposite to you in that it increases the TM applied to a shift the higher the rev/torque (for trans protection). But I thought I'd show it so you could see what I mean about slight changes to the Shift Time Transition tables relating to the 2-3 shift.

Actually, just noticed that it doesn't have my altered shift times and shift pressures in that tune. But you'll get the idea anyway if you just review the Shift Time Transition tables along with the Adder Modifier table.

This is an uploda of my latest tune. The main differences are the slight changes to the 2-3 Shift Time Transition tables, increases in the Shift Pressure tables, the use of Shift Pressure Pattern "Y" for TUTD mode, Max Adapt Volume set to "200" across all shifts and the TM tables. I have kept Discrete Shift Torque as stock as I believe it doesn't adversely affect shift feel or performance.

Take note thought, this is once again a street tune and in no way does it resemble some of the more robust tunes out there. I prefer a nice easy shift feel similar to that of stock but with a slight omph!! Hence the TM settings. I know this tune will not suit most but there are a few out there that are starting to see the benefits of leaving TM "Enabled" and playing with the various tables on offer.

Tuner
    Cool thanks. I'll try out your 2-3 shift time transition tables and let you know of the results.

2009 G8 GT - White Hot

Tuner
    Tried it out. Not bad. I'll probably be keeping that setting.

2009 G8 GT - White Hot

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Allmachtige View Post
    My timing drops to an average of 19* during shifts with my current Adder Modifier table, however this is probably enough timing to induce KR. I can see upwards of 2* of knock during a shift, but sometimes none.

If you look at the Adder Modifier I'm using, I might take the 4 cells with -1.000 values and replace them with -0.900.

As for the Shift Time Transition tables, I've never looked at these but they might be what I'm looking for because the 2-3 shift always feels different from the rest.
    well if ur car hitting a cell with 19* on shift? if not then all the TM isnt being removed i ran around with upshift TM OFF for awhile and would be no drop on timing and no knock..
    right now this is good enough.
    [email protected]
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Tuner
    Anyone mess with the Oncoming Volume Preset?

I was using 60,40,40,40 for gears 1-2,2-3,3-4,4-5. But now I looked at shane's tune and he only added 2 for each value.

2009 G8 GT - White Hot

I've personally never played with the Oncoming Volume Preset and just left them as stock as I didn't understand them.

Advanced Tuner
    My Understanding Is They Are For The Oncoming Clutch And Outgoing Clutch Pressures.

I Have Left Mine Alone As Well, I Am Sure With Enough Knowledge There Might Be Some Performance Benefits With Modifying Those Tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Allmachtige View Post
    Anyone mess with the Oncoming Volume Preset?
    Oncoming volume preset is the volume of fluid required to fill the clutch so that it can hold torque during the shift. From what I can tell it shouldn't change unless you rebuild the transmission or your trans gets old and the clutch plates start to wear. It is an adaptive thing and the TCM adapts the volume based on shift performance. It is also tied up with trans fast adapt where the clutch volumes are quickly learnt after any changes.

It would be nice if we could see the actual learnt volumes the TCM is using.

It would also be nice to see the learnt oncoming and offgoing pressures.
    VE Calais V 6.0L L98 V8 6L80E

If you used the scanning tool function to "Reset" the Trans Adapt settings and the Trans Fast Adapt settings, would the trans start to relearn these settings as per Carneb's post? And if so, how long would it take without the use of a Tech 2?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by carneb View Post
    Oncoming volume preset is the volume of fluid required to fill the clutch so that it can hold torque during the shift. From what I can tell it shouldn't change unless you rebuild the transmission or your trans gets old and the clutch plates start to wear. It is an adaptive thing and the TCM adapts the volume based on shift performance. It is also tied up with trans fast adapt where the clutch volumes are quickly learnt after any changes.

It would be nice if we could see the actual learnt volumes the TCM is using.

It would also be nice to see the learnt oncoming and offgoing pressures.
    Appreciate the info. Setting Oncoming Volume cells back to stock.

2009 G8 GT - White Hot