Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Beginner G8 GT trans tuning

Quote Originally Posted by informationjunkie View Post
    for most part i am happy with what i have for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allmachtige View Post
    I'm at a near happy medium.
    Quote Originally Posted by 04blackgmc View Post
    I'm happy with mine
    Good to hear. Congrats!

After a long break, I'd like to get back into this a little. I'd love to see your current tunes if you'll post them. Or anyone else who has one they consider close to "done". Thanks.
    2009 G8 GT

Tuner in Training
    Another G8 GT owner here. I think I will be referring to this thread quite frequently once I actually get my HPT.
    '09 MGM G8 GT

Oh wait, nevermind. 04blackgmc, I finally found the "headers" tune mentioned earlier. Sounds like that would be a good reference to use. And Allmachtige, it sounds like yours is pretty similar to that now, too. I should have read more carefully. Thanks, by the way, for trying out the Corvette settings. Seemed like a good idea to try. Glad someone did and is able to give it a thumbs up or down.
    2009 G8 GT

This isn't much, but I don't think I've seen it here....

I've been noticing I could feel shifts more than I thought I should at a crawl in traffic in normal drive mode. By no means harsh or jarring. Just much more obvious than with a stock tune. I turned down the left two columns of the Max Pressure table (which I had previously raised) back closer to stock. So far it seems to help.

With any kind of throttle at all, shifts seem to happen above 1500 so they are into the more solid feeling pressures.
    2009 G8 GT

I'm trying to make sense of some stuff in the left column under the "Shift Properties" tab.

"Inertia Factor Profile"
    This "defines the inertia factor". So that is what the 1-9 numbers are apparently. Tables are in RPM vs. "driver demand" torque.

(side note: anyone else think the "Power Downshift" tables may be mis-labeled? Shouldn't it be RPM vs. Torque like "Upshift" and "CT Downshift"?)

So then scroll down to "Shift Time Inertia Adder".
    These add to shift times. And are referenced to the 1-9 numbers - as defined above by RPM vs. torque. So the two together give you an added shift time based on RPM vs. torque.

Scroll down more to "Shift Time Torque Adder"
    The two Upshift groups are tables of added shift time based on RPM vs. torque. On the surface, that seems like the same thing you already have above. Only obvious difference is that one is "driver demand" torque and one is "input" torque - if that matters.

Not knowing any better, it looks like you could adjust just the top two tables or just the bottom table and end up with the same result. Anyone have a grasp on what is going on there? Probably doesn't matter much. I assume you guys adjust one, the other or both groups of tables and just see what feels right.
    2009 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    I'm trying to make sense of some stuff in the left column under the "Shift Properties" tab.

"Inertia Factor Profile"
    This "defines the inertia factor". So that is what the 1-9 numbers are apparently. Tables are in RPM vs. "driver demand" torque.

(side note: anyone else think the "Power Downshift" tables may be mis-labeled? Shouldn't it be RPM vs. Torque like "Upshift" and "CT Downshift"?)

So then scroll down to "Shift Time Inertia Adder".
    These add to shift times. And are referenced to the 1-9 numbers - as defined above by RPM vs. torque. So the two together give you an added shift time based on RPM vs. torque.

Scroll down more to "Shift Time Torque Adder"
    The two Upshift groups are tables of added shift time based on RPM vs. torque. On the surface, that seems like the same thing you already have above. Only obvious difference is that one is "driver demand" torque and one is "input" torque - if that matters.

Not knowing any better, it looks like you could adjust just the top two tables or just the bottom table and end up with the same result. Anyone have a grasp on what is going on there? Probably doesn't matter much. I assume you guys adjust one, the other or both groups of tables and just see what feels right.
    this is what i get out of it.could be wrong but its how i understand it.

shift time inertia adder: adds time based on what you have set in inertia factor profile.
    shift time input torque adder: adds time based on estimated torque vs rpm.

both get added to the final shift time

by using all 3 tables you get more adjustments for picky people with a smooth transition between shift types. i have small changes in all 3 but you could get acceptable changes with just changing the inertia factor profile. it all depends on what you can be happy with. with all options it can take many tries to get all the shifts where you want them. you might drive and say under this situation the shift was a bit hard for my taste, change it then decide another was too soft. i have one shift that is a bit too hard for what i want but i only hit it once a week or so, not bad but i would like it softer. still have not found where it is yet. there are some tables that i have no idea what they do and so i wont touch them.
    it all comes down to what do you want. if all you are after is a firmer shift under light throttle then just changing shift inertia factor should get you what you want.
    hope this helps you out.
    06 GTO M6: flowmaster 40 mufflers, x pipe, resonator removed, K&N cold air kit - sold
    08 G8 GT: flowmaster 50SUV mufflers, x pipe, resonators removed, ever changing tune, CAI sometime soon.

Has anybody looked at a 2010 Corvette file?

Ian
    2008 Corvette A6 - Comp Cams 231/239 617/624 109 ICL 113 LSA, Patariot Extreme Dual Springs .660", Milled .30" Stock LS3 Heads, Mahle -4cc pistons, FTI 3600 Converter, 1 7/8 kooks cat-less 3 inch X-Pipe, air raid intake, ported TB, SLP Loudmouth I. 512hp/464tq

2011 Ford Taurus SHO - stock with just a Tune

Senior Tuner
    There is a 2010 automatic Corvette file in the repository.

anybody notice the differences in the calibration file.
    2008 Corvette A6 - Comp Cams 231/239 617/624 109 ICL 113 LSA, Patariot Extreme Dual Springs .660", Milled .30" Stock LS3 Heads, Mahle -4cc pistons, FTI 3600 Converter, 1 7/8 kooks cat-less 3 inch X-Pipe, air raid intake, ported TB, SLP Loudmouth I. 512hp/464tq

2011 Ford Taurus SHO - stock with just a Tune

Advanced Tuner
    I'm putting the 200 in my 2-3 max adapt volume, i think i like how the 2-3 shift feels with 200 rather than 40. i'd be able to tell tomorrow.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    I'm putting the 200 in my 2-3 max adapt volume, i think i like how the 2-3 shift feels with 200 rather than 40. i'd be able to tell tomorrow.
    And I just put 40 back in. Haven't uploaded to the car yet.

BTW, I haven't used your engine tune yet, I'm trying to empty my tank as much as I can so I can put the 93 in it. I'll let you know how it is within the next few days
    '09 MGM G8 GT

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HoldenG8GT View Post
    And I just put 40 back in. Haven't uploaded to the car yet.

BTW, I haven't used your engine tune yet, I'm trying to empty my tank as much as I can so I can put the 93 in it. I'll let you know how it is within the next few days
    let me know, better yet, post a log so i can see how it does.
    I also drove the car today with the 200 in the 2-3 and it's way better now, it's weird, but with 40 i can feel a a slight delay when it shift from 2nd to 3rd in sport mode, it's not bad but but it feels different compared to the other gears. with 200, she feels like it should, hard to explain since it's just a feeling. i'll keep this value for a couple of days and wait for the trans to adapt and recheck.

Advanced Tuner
    I have had mine at 215 for the first 4 shifts since the car was new with no issues at all.

Hey Bluegoat, have you messed with the new TCC tables as of yet?

Advanced Tuner
    The only thing i've done is to match the auto shift values from the 3-4 shift in normal and sport mode, with the 4th gear TCC apply/release settings. i had the 3-4 shift WOT at 102mph, and the tcc aply was 98mph at WOT, now it's 102 for Sport, and then 100's for normal mode, basically a mimic of the 3rd-4th auto shift values for normal and sport i have.

i'm still trying to learn how the TCC works, and so far i cannot even tell if the TCC is locking 4th when the trans shift from 3rd to 4th at WOT.

I took the car to like 120mph yesterday (country road), and i cannot tell if the tcc is locking or not at WOT

I've also looked at the actual speed my trans is shifting for example in sport mode

1st to 2nd is set at 32mph/6200rpm WOT, car shifts at 40mph, 6186rpm
    2nd-3rd is set at 64mph/ 6200rpm WOT, car shifts at 69mph, 6200rpm
    3rd to 4th is set at 102mph/6200 rpm, cars shifts at 106mph, 6186 rpm

Does it sounds right or do i need to adjust the shift mph settings?, the car is bone stock, and i haven't dynoed her yet to see where peak hp is yet, my rule for shifting points (at least with a manual trans) is 300-500rpm past peak hp, so i'm assuming 6200rpm is still within those values.
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 01-26-2010 at 09:12 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Alright, first off, I read all 14 pages. I am just looking for a little more clarification in the tables. Right now I am in the Shift Time Inertia Adder 1-2. From what I understand, this table adds to the final shift time, right? So what exactly in the table is Axis Xref? It's labeled as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.
    '09 MGM G8 GT

Advanced Tuner
    Check the inertia factor profile tables, see the values inside from 1 though 9 ?
    The adders would modify the the inertia profiles values adding desired time based on engine rpm/delivered tq, so you can change the values in the inertia profile (1 is the slowest and 9 is the fastest), or modify the inertia adders time so they would directly impact the inertia profiles.
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 01-26-2010 at 08:16 PM.

HoldenG8GT,

Look a few tables above that. "Inertia Factor Profile" tables. Those assign a 1-9 number based on RPM and Torque. Pretty sure those numbers are the axis in the "Shift Time Inertia Adder" tables.

Increasing those 1-9 numbers moves you to the right on the tables you're talking about. Which generally means you'll be adding less time to the total shift time. So more aggressive, faster shift. Or you could lower the numbers in the "Shift Time Inertia Adder" tables. Almost too many ways to skin the cat.

Oops. Bluegoat06, you beat me to it.
    2009 G8 GT

Advanced Tuner
    BTW, i'll be damned, but the trans feels just right with the 200 in the 2-3 max adapt volume. i know that value is not supposed to do anything other than to tell if the trans was able to adapt for that gear or whatever ?, but i'm sure it must doing something else as well. changed it twice today between 200 and 40, and i reset the trans adapt and fast adapt both times just in case. the 2-3 shift is perfect like all the other gears with 200.
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 01-26-2010 at 08:24 PM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    BTW, i'll be damned, but the trans feels just right with the 200 in the 2-3 max adapt volume. i know that value is not supposed to do anything other than to tell if the trans was able to adapt for that gear or whatever ?, but i'm sure it must doing something else as well. changed it twice today between 200 and 40, and i reset the trans adapt and fast adapt both times just in case. the 2-3 shift is perfect like all the other gears with 200.
    Interesting. Makes me rethink trying 40 after a whole winter of 200.

Can you describe the feeling in anymore details? Sometimes my 2-3 feels strange, but I'm going to blame that on disabling discrete shifts for 1-2 and 2-3.

I plan on re-enabling discrete shifts for 1-2, 2-3 as I hear it doesn't affect WOT in Sport mode.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to prep the car (and my mind) for spring. I'm getting tired of the winter tires and sandbags in the trunk. Go Chicagoland winters!

2009 G8 GT - White Hot

226/234 601/601 112+4, Yank SS 3600, SLP Longtubes, Magnaflow exhaust, Rotofab, 3.91 Rear

Advanced Tuner
    It's weird, but with 40 in there, there is a slight delay when the 2-3 shifts is happening, more noticeable in sport mode, more likely because most of the changes i have are done for sport mode. in a way to visualize the shift, let's sat 30% tps, all shifts are crisp and nice, and they happen quick ---, but the 2-3 feels like the trans stops to do something , then shift ---| |---, it's not flaring, nor does it feels like a hard shift, it's just a delay right when the trans is making the actual shift, i feel the same positive crisp time from to the 2-3 with 200 compared to all the other gears.