Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Beginner G8 GT trans tuning

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    It's curious to see how they accomplish 50% Trans TM removal ?, there is nothing else different in the Trans TM other than an increase in the TCC limit torque reduction max torque. i think what people feel as 50%TM removed with this tune, is the increase in shift pressure B (they use 400 PSI instead of 275.6 PSI) and a reduction in shift times, especially 5th and 6th (0.09 sec in those gears, wonder why make the shift so quick for the crusing gears), i don't think the trans would shift that fast anyways especially with 5th and 6th clutches.
    i am logging actual line pressure. i have adjusted all 3 of those pressure settings and the table below those settings. gone from stock up to 200/400/300 and 200's in the upper parts of that table. i didn't see any effect on the actual line pressure.

another question. i have made adjustments to the adder/modifer part of tm. it is having an effect and i am starting to figure it out but the axis dont seem to match up with the real world. should they? anything above 258ft/lbs and anything above 5250rpm i have set at 0 and all of the torque factors are still at one. with that setting i was hopeing for some to little tm down low and full tm at wot. i ended up with full timing at wot, my tranny does not like that at all, just lets go mid shift.

i have a lot to learn and a long ways to go with this tranny.
    2017 camaro ss a8 with low mount twins

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
    i am logging actual line pressure. i have adjusted all 3 of those pressure settings and the table below those settings. gone from stock up to 200/400/300 and 200's in the upper parts of that table. i didn't see any effect on the actual line pressure.

another question. i have made adjustments to the adder/modifer part of tm. it is having an effect and i am starting to figure it out but the axis dont seem to match up with the real world. should they? anything above 258ft/lbs and anything above 5250rpm i have set at 0 and all of the torque factors are still at one. with that setting i was hopeing for some to little tm down low and full tm at wot. i ended up with full timing at wot, my tranny does not like that at all, just lets go mid shift.

i have a lot to learn and a long ways to go with this tranny.
    Did you make the cells in the TM adder multiplier table to be negative values ? ex: if you want lets say to have 80% tm from 258ft and above from 5200rpm, then you would use -0.2000 in those cells. if you want 0 TM then you could use -0.999. i'm still using the values that 04black was using, and have played with the adder muiltiplier table as well. as an example: more TM at part throttle, and way less TM at WOT. (10% max at WOT)

Last edited by bluegoat06; 03-10-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Also, when i changed the MAx pressure B table to match the Max pressure table, the trans felt harder when shifting. i have no way to test trans pressure, but i think i made max pressure 400 once and the trans felt horrible, and super strong when shifting. that was when i started touching the settings for the first time, and it wasn't even my car

Advanced Tuner
    Here is my latest tune, i removed the shift initial and final times i had from 04black as well, and i really like the new feeling, downshifts are very smooth now when shifting over manual, and 1st to 2nd is still agrresive at WOT, just a tad smoother. i moved to California so i had to make little adjustments to timing, hopefully within the next 2 weeks i'll have my WB installed and i'll be able to dial the fuel at WOT.

yes i used negative numbers. i am shooting for no tm at all down low and max up top. here is what i tried, with these settings i got no tm at all, great for part throttle but no good for wot. table could use a little smoothing but you get the idea.

here is the next try. with these setting i got what i think is full tm at wot(-20deg) wich is great. it seemed to pull less timing at part throttle but i am not 100% sure of that. i need it to pull no timing at part throttle.

what i am getting doesn't seem to match what i think i should get but i am getting an effect. just need to mess around more till i get what i want i guess.
    Last edited by parish8; 03-11-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    damn guys i need to get active again car hasnt moved in a month but just started with the new headers last night gotta a few ends to get taken care of but its almost ready...

glad to see people likin my tm table
    https://www.facebook.com/tuningbyshanehinds
    [email protected]
    2009 G8 GT [email protected] 1.60 - Sold
    2008 A6 LS3 C6 Cammed [email protected] 1.44 Sold
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

i worked on my tm some more and this thing is working fantastic!! perfect part throttle shifts with very little tm and nearly all the tm left in at wot.

right now with this chart i see my timing drop just 5-10deg at part throttle. you can just feel the shift. much better than the 20+deg it was dropping. with a little more aggresive throttle it gives you a nice little kick at the shift.

at wot i was droping to -20deg and now i am around -10deg. not sure how much more timing i can leave in it but i will keep edgeing it up till it isn't happy. remember my tranny completely lets go mid shift if i dont have lots of tm at the wot shift.

Last edited by parish8; 03-13-2010 at 08:51 PM.

got a new question for everyone. is there any way to reduce the down shift tm? i dont know if it is my cam or converter or what but my car hates negative timing and that is what i get on my power downshifts. not talking wot, just somewhat aggresive rolling into it. when it goes to downshift it falls on it's face hard during the down shift.

i have tired taking the "flare tqmgt" downshift tab to none. it didn't seem to do anything. then i tried the "torque reduction, power downshift" tab to disable. eww, that was a bad idea. no timing reduction and it would down shift into a lower gear just as the boost was building. very harsh. from what i can see i can only go no timing reduction or large amounts of timing reduction.

any sugestions on things to try. it looks like we need an adder/modifier tab for the downshifts like we have for the upshifts.

Advanced Tuner
    been very busy but car did go 12.73 on street tires using traction control...

went back with dr's and it was boggin the car ... 2.92's and stock stall do not like dead hooking heh... did trap 110+ on one pass boggin
    [email protected]
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 04blackgmc View Post
    been very busy but car did go 12.73 on street tires using traction control...

went back with dr's and it was boggin the car ... 2.92's and stock stall do not like dead hooking heh... did trap 110+ on one pass boggin
    I see in your sig you have a HSRK. Does that really work? Do you have to tune it in to make the most out of it? Also, what is a LPM and ICR mod? Thanks.
    '09 MGM G8 GT

Tuner in Training
    There is a Reason why there is TM in those car and its weak transmissions is why. As for the to 6l80 trans I havn't had any experiences with them yet and would love to get feedback about them I am looking and going witha t56 or a 4l80e in a S10 and can decide. 600rwhp is the goal daily driver....

Tuner in Training
    learning.
    Darryn

2009.5 Blue G8GT

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSP RACING View Post
    There is a Reason why there is TM in those car and its weak transmissions is why. As for the to 6l80 trans I havn't had any experiences with them yet and would love to get feedback about them I am looking and going witha t56 or a 4l80e in a S10 and can decide. 600rwhp is the goal daily driver....
    6l80's are pretty strong not no junk 4l60
    [email protected]
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSP RACING View Post
    As 04blackgmc points out. They arent weak! You haven't had any experience with them but you say they are weak? They deliver on the GM specs for them with 100,000 mile warranty. You want to put more power and torque through them of course there is a high chance there is price to pay.

There always has been a price to pay right back to Powerglide days. No factory stock trans has handled much more than stock factory power for long in hi perf applications.

Over time the aftermarket learns about specific trans's re-engineers them and after a while the become much tougher.

Torque management is simply about getting smooth shifts and limiting torque transient effects in a more sophisticated way than mechanical based trans with springs pistons vac mods etc. Computer based TM tuning & trans control also helps pack 6, 7 or 8 speeds in a clutch to clutch trans that will fit into a regular production car.

Google around and you will find some people getting 600RW+ without issue and others that are breaking them at stock or near stock power levels. More often than not it is about the driver &/or tuning.

FYI anyone: there is a GM technical bulletin out for defective seals that seems to be proving to fix the flare issue on some A6 trans's.

Potential Tuner

Need Help

Can someone help me with my trans tune. In the Sport mode 1-2 hits hard where it will spin the tires for about 8', and 2-3 shift with churp the tire. What I am looking for is a quick shift but I do not want it to spin the tires that long. Any help would be great. Thanks.
    Last edited by Runamuk Vette; 04-28-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: not done with m question

Tuner in Training
    tune some TM back into it.
    Darryn

2009.5 Blue G8GT

Advanced Tuner
    Well crap, I got my car back from having the flare TSB done and now I pretty much am going to have to rework the tune to some degree now.

Advanced Tuner
    yea im gonna have to do some tweaking now on mine since the kit is showing up next week....
    [email protected]
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah I have been messing with the tune each day now. I am trying to find a good balance in using the Shift Torque Added Factor and the Adder Modifier tables.

I have all 1's in the STAF table for the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6 cells. I am pretty sure that this is what makes the shifts firm under part throttle input. On the Added Modifier table I am using -.2500 from 0-4500 rpm's, then -.1500 for the 5250 rpm and -.1000 for the 6000 rpm table. I am going to dump that tune in tomorrow morning and go for a test drive and see how it goes. Anything more than -.2500 and the PT shifts are just way to firm for my tastes.

It is getting better though and is tons better than what it was before the flare TSB was done.

Shane shout at me if you get bored and have time to chat. I lost my last phone and done have your number in the new phone.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakyws6 View Post
    Yeah I have been messing with the tune each day now. I am trying to find a good balance in using the Shift Torque Added Factor and the Adder Modifier tables.

I have all 1's in the STAF table for the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6 cells. I am pretty sure that this is what makes the shifts firm under part throttle input. On the Added Modifier table I am using -.2500 from 0-4500 rpm's, then -.1500 for the 5250 rpm and -.1000 for the 6000 rpm table. I am going to dump that tune in tomorrow morning and go for a test drive and see how it goes. Anything more than -.2500 and the PT shifts are just way to firm for my tastes.

It is getting better though and is tons better than what it was before the flare TSB was done.

Shane shout at me if you get bored and have time to chat. I lost my last phone and done have your number in the new phone.
    i pm'ed ya my number ive been through a few phones....but the girl of 4 years is gone so i wont have to worry about that anymore

yea my kit shows up this week and ill be starting the install im thinking the tranny is gonna take the most effort to get right already got a tune for the timing
    [email protected]
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0