Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Beginner G8 GT trans tuning

Advanced Tuner
    Wow guys, good thread. I have read about the first 10 pages, and will slowly work my way through it. I just wanted to ask some very basic questions right now, though. I am working on a tune on an 09 G8 GT A6. Well, we have had great success with the whole tuning process, except for the trans. I will admit, I know very, VERY little about trans tuning. I understand the terms and stuff like that, but I get lost in the hundreds of tables.

Now, the car has a Circle D 3700rpm stall. The car was previously tuned at Speed Inc. and they apparently did not touch the trans tuning, since the car is using stock pressures, and stock shift times. Tq man is down to 0 in all tables.

Now that the history is out of the way, we are having problems with the car shifting into 4th on the strip. It will shift, only when we let off the gas for a split second, and this is killing our time.

So, I dont really know where to start. First, I think I need to up the TCC pressures, but I am not sure how high I should go. Any recommendations? Second, I lowered the shift times to .101 sec, to help firm them up. Should I raise the base line pressure as well?

I will take all help offered, I am here to learn, and REALLY need to get this trans to shift so we can hit 11's (on street tires... Fk yeah!). If anyone has a similar setup, and wouldn't mind tossing a tune my way I would be eternally grateful!

Thanks guys!
    Matt

Advanced Tuner
    Post up your tune so people can see it.

Advanced Tuner
    I really have nothing to show right now, all the trans parts of the tune are stock. I am going to use 04 black's tune I found a few pages back, and work from there, I guess.

a lot of good info in here. Just picked up HP and looking to start digging into the tune.

Tuner in Training
    Hey guys I am trying to set up a track trans tune file and a street tune file. Obviously I want the track tune to shift as quickly as possible. On the street I dont want a dog but I would like the shifting to be pretty smooth.

Any help is appreciated

Tuner in Training
    So, when increasing shift times, is it required to also increase pressure? I'd like my "normal" to shift fast, but not hard. Would it only shift fast with increased pressure?
    '09 MGM G8 GT

Don't you mean decreasing? I don't think there's any requirement...its a good bit art mixed in with the science.
    2017 Chevrolet SS, Orange Blast Metallic, Rotofab CAI. Headers coming soon. Stock Tune for now
    Previous Rides: 2008 G8 GT, 2004 GTO, 2004 GTP, 2002 TA

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    Don't you mean decreasing? I don't think there's any requirement...its a good bit art mixed in with the science.
    Yeah, I suppose I do.
    '09 MGM G8 GT

Tuner in Training
    Read through this whole thread...AGAIN!
    '09 MGM G8 GT

Tuner
    I'm dragging this one back from the dead but it has a ton of useful info in it
    15 C7Z M7

I'm glad you did, I have to come in hear and reread some things trying to fix little issues here and there. I'm trying to soften the part throttle shift without sacrificing the WOT shift. I have a fine line in the pat throttle table were it shifts butter smooth, but if it gets just a couple hundred rpm too high it barks the tires like WOT. So, I come back in here and reread to remember what values should be changed.
    2009 G8 GT
    Custom cam, CF intake, LTs, Forgeline wheels, and Eibachs

Any updates? need I need to get back into this.

hmmm

any you guys have 6-2 flare ////// lotta rpm bang then into second !

Potential Tuner
    Digging this one back up. Just wondering what differences or observations have been made in last couple years. Use to have g8 and tuned off some of the info gathered in here. Now have a 2010 sierra 5.3 with same trans. Because of the weight and not racing it ever I'm not looking for something aggressive but just want to get rid of the sloppy shifts. I'm going to slowly start working on it but was just curious if you are all still using similar setups. Alos have a friend with 2013 gs vette and after downloading his "stock" file we realized his trans settings are all over the place. I know there are some knowledgeable guys in here and was hoping someone would look at it for us. Thanks Btw this is not really my first post but cant get into my old account

I just wanted to say thanks, I took 04blackGMC's trans tune for my 08 G8 and it is working well, accept 1 thing, on the 2-3 shift it holds for a sec and shifts horribly.On the log it drops all the timing, then I pick up KR shortly after. I attached the log and current tune, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks James
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ignitionorange08; 05-23-2014 at 03:52 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Give this a try. Zero out your adder table. Probably need to desensitize your knock sensors a tad too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 8850; 05-23-2014 at 04:25 PM.

Alright I'll give that a whirl, 1-2 and 3-4 were good would it hurt to just change the 2-3 to .75? or is it good to change them all? if that fix's it is there a way to keep the TM and then up values in a different table to compensate? I don't want to risk blowing the trans due if I take to much TM off
    Last edited by ignitionorange08; 05-23-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Senior Tuner
    You can try changing just the 2-3. It had all mine the same. .5 does not take away all TM. .75 even less. There are other tables that you might have to change but try this first and see if you like it.

Potential Tuner

insight please

Ok Ive read this entire post. Though it seems overwhelming it starts to sink in, Just alot to look at. I have a trans tune done by someone I trust but with the new power Ive added it feels horrible even retuning. If anyone could just take a glance at this file Id appreciate it. This is my daily driver so making crazy changes or hitting hard all the time isnt what I want. I can tell you 2-3 is flaring at wot. The downshifts hit instantly and afraid its going to kill the trans. Any help is a plus.
    Attached Files Attached Files