Thread: Truck/Van 5.7 swap into 2nd Gen Camaro.

Truck/Van 5.7 swap into 2nd Gen Camaro.

I got a 5.7 Vortec cast iron block that I was considering building up for my Camaro. The block came out of a 99 Express Van and was trying to decide if I just go with a carb and run it, or go with something I can tune with HPtuners. This Van came with the Electo/Mechanical injector spider, that I dont think will lend itself well to any performance mods. I was wondering if anyone knew if the trucks all had the same injector set up, or if they had injectors I could change.

Tuner in Training
    Out of my mind, be back in five minutes...
    Trickflow has 14.5 ohm high resistance injectors up to 36 PPH. Im using them with my vortec setup. If you wanted to use the original PCM and wire harness those along with a good aftermarket EFI intake manifold will work with the stock PCM. If you use a later '411 based PCM (2000-2001 vortec trucks), any high resistance injector can be used as they have larger, heat sinked injector driver transisters.

GM also has replacement spider assemblies that fit within the vortec manifold that have actual injectors instead of the crappy poppets. Theyre ~ $400 dollars or so. The only drawback is taht they only flow around 23 PPH per injector.

From my experience with the SFI swap, the only potential issue is cold drivability. With the poppet vortec spider assy and plastic intake, there wasn't much need for adding additional fuel when the engine load changes. If you use an aluminum intake like TPI with a vortec base or an aftermarket EFI intake, you will have fuel puddling on cold startups. Just like a carb, the gas will settle out in the intake when its cold and the engine load suddenly increases. This causes MASSIVE hesitation issues. Im not sure if the later '411 vortec PCMs have provisions for compensating for it. If they do, then that would be the PCM to use. Either way, I would say its worthwhile exploring the possibility of using the SFI instead of a carb. Tuned properly, it will run much better.
    Last edited by dimented24x7; 08-23-2009 at 06:30 AM.
    Old rusty 88 Camaro
    350 w/ Edelbrock victor EFI intake + 1000 CFM TB
    '279 PCM with a custom tune and code patches by me
    TKO 500, 1LE performance package, etc...

dimented24x7 thank you so much. Found a Weiand manifold that looks like it will work. Thanks Again.