Thread: First config

Tuner in Training

First config

I'm getting ready to start tuning. I set my scanner up with an Afx through my egr. Just curious if anyone can check out my config and see if i'm on the right track. I tried to setup a ve and maf histogram as well. Anyway let me know what i'm missing. Or how far off base I am.

Wanted to add. It's for a 98 Trans Am. So I know the bits are lower than the newer models as well.

Thanks
    Last edited by Whiterhino; 08-23-2009 at 03:03 AM. Reason: more info

Took a quick look. I would add (or replace) the MAF g/s with MAF Hz and add the histogram to plot AFR % error and Hz so you can tune the MAF. Without a wideband you would Histo LTFT + STFT vs. MAF Hz.

When tuning the VE, fail the MAF (kick into Speed Density) and set P0103 fail to first event, disable LTFT (reset to 0 via VCM) and when tuning the MAF, lower the > Dynamic Air Flow > High RPM disable to 0 to enable MAF across the board and preclude VE/MAF mixing.

Make sure also that you have all the sensor inputs needed for the Calculate VE. Didn't have time to check. By the way I use that one as well.

In the Histograms for MAF and VE tuning, add this filter [SENS.121] >14.6 to protect against logging PE data. Also use a cell count of 5-10.

To reduce scan items (and increase resolution) I split up my Idle, MAF, VE and Timing evaluations into seperate cfg's.

Have fun

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Right on, thanks. I've been reading for over a year on here. I have the tuning concepts down. I just get nervous making sure I get the right histo's and filters. I know once I start using the scanner more i'll pick it up. Plus i'm going to have Greg's dvd shortly.

Potential Tuner
    too much crap, you only need the basics for what your doing. when doing sd i use afr commanded lo res, afr actual, iat, ect, map, knock retard, engine rpm and vehicle speed. the less you use the better your data. just make some seperate configs like one for idle, one for sd tunning, and one for maf tunning.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sroach23 View Post
    too much crap, you only need the basics for what your doing. when doing sd i use afr commanded lo res, afr actual, iat, ect, map, knock retard, engine rpm and vehicle speed. the less you use the better your data. just make some seperate configs like one for idle, one for sd tunning, and one for maf tunning.

I'm doing some changes to it now. I don't think I can use the predefined ones, like afr cmd lo res. My wb is thru the egr, so I have to use user defined. Is that correct? If so I have those made from looking at some of 5 liters posts.

I added a new config.

Sorry I keep editing, My 9 and 10 histo's should be set up for ve and maf afr error. So if those are right I should be set up to tune my ve and maf with my wideband through egr. I hope!
    Last edited by Whiterhino; 08-23-2009 at 10:27 PM.