Thread: I'm a newb and I could use some advice tuning an LS2

I'm a newb and I could use some advice tuning an LS2

I went to the in-person Tuning School Beginner's class a month or so back and I have the at-home materials with me now. I've been trying to tune my 2006 Corvette LS2 after a cam and header swap. I'm a little stuck and need advice from more experienced people.

The cam is a Comp Cams stock grind XR275HR 222/224 .566/.568 lift w/ 112 LSA. I have Kooks long tube headers and x-pipe with Corsa Sport mufflers. Everything else is stock LS2 stuff.

I've done my best to follow the basic idle setup stuff from the tuning school material. I'm attaching my base config, my latest config, and a couple of scans. The first scan is just of a warm startup, some blips of the throttle, and gear changes from park to reverse, reverse to neutral, neutral to drive, then back to park. The second scan is of my drive home from work today.

My concerns are that the WB shows the AFR very lean. I have the NGK AFX wideband and the display shows about .25 higher than what HP tuners shows; I haven't adjusted it yet in HPT. I've read that the WB reading may not be right but I'm trying to understand why and confirm that is the case.

My second concern is that after dropping into gear, the timing drops and the car seems to hunt for the right timing for a few seconds. It also does this right after blipping the throttle in park and it does it when coming to a stop while driving. I thought it got a little better after I tinkered with the idle coastdown table but now I'm not sure. Nothing from the Tuning School said to touch the idle coastdown so I may have done the wrong thing.

I'm just trying to get my head around what seems to be a gap in knowledge between the Tuning School material and what it takes to actually tune this thing. I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction so I can learn what I'm missing.

Thanks in advance.

Advanced Tuner
    That cam should be fairly easy to tune.

Put back your stock RAF and startup airflow, you don't need to touch the last if you're not having cold or hot starts issues.

Put back the stock timing in the base idle spark table, leave your coastdown settings stock as well for now.

Disable your dynamic airflow, setting high rpm disable and enable to 100 and 0, later if you want to tune VE, you can use the virtual calc around here to do so.

Disable your LTFT's.

Use a histogram that plots MAF airflow Vs Output frequency against STFT's.
    This way you can tune your MAF from 3100hz to 7800hz.

At this point, you'll know if you need to modify the RAF and Startup Airflow, probably, 1-2g/sec more on the 600-800 and 1000rpm for the raf. you can Use 5_liter procedure to dial the RAF if you need to, don't go above 1200rpm if following this procedure, it won't be needed. use the search function to find his post about dialing the idle, don't worry about adding timing to your base spark, it's not needed with yor cam.

Set your PE to 12.5 flat to be on the safe side, set OL-MAF, then tune the rest of the MAF table with your WB, adjust timing, then adjust MAF.

Go back to CL-MAF, leave your LTFT's and Dynamic Airflow disabled, and enjoy.

There is also some other things you can do, but this should get you started.

Have fun.
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 08-12-2009 at 08:26 PM.