Thread: AC help

Potential Tuner

AC help

I have a 2000 Silverado that had a 5.3 and I put a stroked LS1 in.....My question is about the A/C....At idol when i turn it on the clutch will engage for a split sec....then go off and it conunes to try to come on. Once I take off and drive its fine....There is no leak or anything I am 99% sure its some were in the computer tune....can anyone help...

Advanced Tuner
    That usually means that the A/C pressure is just a little bit low. It gets low enough shortly after coming on that it kicks itself back off. Once you get some RPMs (trucks have a really low 500ish rpm idle) it is better.

Potential Tuner
    I have vac and recharged 3 times to factory spec. I know it works I used it the day before the swap. I know that there is a section in hp tuners that you can adjust ac step in, step out, ect.

Tuner
    Do you have clutch cooling fan or electric?

Potential Tuner
    Electric

Senior Tuner
    I am vaguely recalling having some trouble with A/C
    and idle, like if the idle is too unstable it will quit the
    A/C clutch. I never did fix it, per se, just got to where
    the idle was clean enough that it quit bugging.

Potential Tuner
    Zero out the stall saver settings to correct problem.

Tuner
    Just throwing it out there.

When i first put electric fans on my truck i didnt have the fans come on with compressor clutch. I set it up for just temp. Well when i tried to run the ac it high pressured instantly and killed clutch. About the third time it tried it blew manual pop off valve on back or compressor. So i wired the fans to come on with ac clutch and that worked,but fans would cycle with ac clutch all the time and that sucked and isnt good for fans. Hpt gave me beta with ac fan controls and now all is great fans come on with clutch when not moving and stay on with delay so no stop start with ac clutch.

Home this helps not really sure if you fans come on instantly already.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ss295hp View Post
    Just throwing it out there.

When i first put electric fans on my truck i didnt have the fans come on with compressor clutch. I set it up for just temp. Well when i tried to run the ac it high pressured instantly and killed clutch. About the third time it tried it blew manual pop off valve on back or compressor. So i wired the fans to come on with ac clutch and that worked,but fans would cycle with ac clutch all the time and that sucked and isnt good for fans. Hpt gave me beta with ac fan controls and now all is great fans come on with clutch when not moving and stay on with delay so no stop start with ac clutch.

Home this helps not really sure if you fans come on instantly already.
    Going to have to keep this in mind i plan on putting e-fan's on in the near future.

Senior Tuner
    Take a look at that Stall Saver stuff, I remember at
    least trying that out (though not whether I stuck
    with it). I think killing A/C is part of the SS strategy.
    Easy enough to try, anyway.

But also open up the Status Bits display, there is a
    line for A/C pressure status and if you have a charge
    or an operational impairment (incl overpressure /
    undercooling at the condenser) this bit will be red
    showing you that the compressor is held of by that.
    If it's white or green then it's not bothered by the
    system pressure. When I was held off by a pressure
    sensor wiring fault, that bit went red.

Are you using the LS1 ac pressure sensor and clutch relay wiring? The silvy uses a pressure switch, LS1 uses a sensor. Also, the LS1 PCM requires an AC clutch status monitor circuit. Did you build that back into the harness?