Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VE table ??

Tuner in Training

VE table ??

Trying to soak up some info on tuning ve and maf tables. Which ve table/tables get calibrated?

What vehicle? Only the E40 ('05 vette and '05 - '06 GTO) have actual VE tables. After that GM went to virtual VE tables.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner in Training
    07 tbss. There are several ve tables that I'm seeing with the beta ver. Most have either 0's or 100's in them which have not been modified from stock. There was only one I found last night that had different values than that in it but can't remember what it was called. The fuel trims are way off after the head/cam swap and I'm just trying to get it close enough to get it to the tuner. Before anyone says something about vacuum leaks, I've checked, everywhere. No vacuum leaks, no header leaks.

Senior Tuner
    Recommend you disable the VE and run on a MAF only tune.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid View Post
    Recommend you disable the VE and run on a MAF only tune.
    How's this done. I've been reading through threads for a couple days now and get bits and pieces but it's tough to find concrete answers on this forum.

it should be under dynamic airflow/ high rpm disable and low rpm disable. Set both to zero. At least that disables VE on my gto
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

"The goal of tuning is for the tune to run well enough you dont need any corrective mechanisms"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by angrygoat View Post
    it should be under dynamic airflow/ high rpm disable and low rpm disable. Set both to zero. At least that disables VE on my gto
    I only have high rpm disable. Setting this to zero will disable VE? Also I found the table I was referring to. It's also under dynamic airflow. It's VE correction factor. What's this table for? I've tried doing a search for VE tuning but search feature won't recognize VE because it's not enough characters.

Tuner in Training
    It worked! Damn thing started up and idled fine. Hot and cold. Turned VE off, then back on to verify. So what does that tell me. VE tables are way off and if so which table? The VE correction table or should I just leave it off? MAF still needs some work but it's a mile from where I was at. Thanks...

Tuner
    I like SD much better than MAF in the lower RPM. There are just two many different combinations of RPM and MAP that show up on the same Hz on the MAF only scan. Seems like in low RPM MAF, getting on and off the gas in traffic pulls more AFR error than a good tuned VE table ever will. Especially when you have a big cam and need more airflow to maintain idle, while at the same time the motor is not burning as efficiently. If you dial in the idle with MAF only, then the low load cruise will not be ideal AFR since you can hit the same Hz as you get on and off the throttle in traffic. It seems like once the VE really gets dialed in, the throttle control down low is great.

Who cares if the tables went virtual. Once you get your head around it, they are just as easy to tune as the old tables. Just takes more time.

Of course I like MAF up top, since it is too hard to get enough cell hits in the upper RPM ranges to really get VE dialed in up there. I solved this by writing a program that takes standard deviation, cell hit counts, and acceleration vs deceleration to adjust what the average AFR adjustment should be for each cell. This allowed the VE to be dialed in much faster.

Give up VE if you want, but at least try and tune it in first. You might really end up liking it.
    Last edited by Amric; 07-29-2009 at 10:22 PM.

Tuner
    In Engine->Airflow->DynamicAirflow do you have "Zone RPM Boundaries" and "Zone MAP Boundaries". If you do, then get the program called "EQ_VE" to get you started, and do a search on how to use it. It is really easy, and will get you close.

Once your close, you can get much closer by modifying the equations manually, using more analysis on the scans than the simple "averages", or "> x count" stuff.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Amric View Post
    I like SD much better than MAF in the lower RPM. There are just two many different combinations of RPM and MAP that show up on the same Hz on the MAF only scan. Seems like in low RPM MAF, getting on and off the gas in traffic pulls more AFR error than a good tuned VE table ever will. Especially when you have a big cam and need more airflow to maintain idle, while at the same time the motor is not burning as efficiently. If you dial in the idle with MAF only, then the low load cruise will not be ideal AFR since you can hit the same Hz as you get on and off the throttle in traffic. It seems like once the VE really gets dialed in, the throttle control down low is great.

Who cares if the tables went virtual. Once you get your head around it, they are just as easy to tune as the old tables. Just takes more time.

Of course I like MAF up top, since it is too hard to get enough cell hits in the upper RPM ranges to really get VE dialed in up there. I solved this by writing a program that takes standard deviation, cell hit counts, and acceleration vs deceleration to adjust what the average AFR adjustment should be for each cell. This allowed the VE to be dialed in much faster.

Give up VE if you want, but at least try and tune it in first. You might really end up liking it.
    I'm just trying to get it to the tuner. Won't idle with the VE enabled and the fuel trims are out of sight. It was like night and day and once again i dont know which ve tables need work. Been hotrodding for a long time but am totally new to the computer controlled stuff. I'll put it this way, utilizing the histo's finally starting sinking in today when I was working on it...

Senior Tuner
    Your tuner isn't going to tune the VE table anyway (I can bet you a billion bucks), because he won't understand that specific style of VE tuning, and even if he did he's going to charge you double or triple to tune for VE, just due to the amount of actual time that is needed for VE tuning, especially in your case. That's why it is recommended to tune in MAF only mode. I can assure you that your vehicle will run 100% perfect in MAF only mode.

And, FWIW, you do have a "High RPM Disable" and "High RPM Re-Enable". Set both to 0, or 100/0, or 50/0, or 1/0 (as long as it's well enough below idle).
    Last edited by RWTD; 07-30-2009 at 08:42 PM.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Tuner in Training
    High rpm disable set at 0. Don't remember seeing a re-enable table. At work now, have to look when get home. It's really close enough to get to him so he can get it right. Thanks for all the help!

Senior Tuner
    If you don't see it, then you need to upgrade your software.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    I've got the latest beta. I prob overlooked it. Once i set the disable table to 0 i didnt mess with the airflow anymore. I'll look when i get home. thanks

Tuner in Training
    Will disabling the ve hurt anything on a 06 gto?
    02 EB Mod Red, Forged 402, Ported Fast 90 & Ported 90 TB, CNC Heads, Built MN6 trans, Built Diff, DTE, Pfadt Trans Brace, Pfadt Motor Mounts, STS TT (Garrett GT32 turbos) @ 11lbs, STS air bridge, Tial BOV, Tial ext wastegate, FMIC, HP Tuners, K&N, B&M shifter, boost gauge on A-pillar panel, 60lb injectors, Racetronix fuel pump and Boost-A-Pump

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoody66 View Post
    Will disabling the ve hurt anything on a 06 gto?
    No.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    Haha, it was right below the disable. Thanks...

Advanced Tuner
    so u guys have seen any affects rather than easier tuning from running MAF only and disabling VE?
    https://www.facebook.com/tuningbyshanehinds
    [email protected]
    2009 G8 GT [email protected] 1.60 - Sold
    2008 A6 LS3 C6 Cammed [email protected] 1.44 Sold
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Quote Originally Posted by 04blackgmc View Post
    so u guys have seen any affects rather than easier tuning from running MAF only and disabling VE?
    I picked up an honest 2 mpg's.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

2020 Ford F150 King Ranch 5.0