Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programing history

Programing history

is there such things on 08 Z06's?
    it is claimed that even though the CVN would be the same if a stock tuned is put back on, the "programing hisotry" would be off...or is it just for Duramax?

If they suspect your car has been messed with and it led to a warranty failure they can see how many times the ECM has been programmed. They can check VIS for warranty history to see what has been done at their dealer or another dealer. If they don't match pay the man at the door.

Get to be buddies with a tech or service manager if you want to play and don't throw a fit if a claim gets bounced back or declined. You have to pay to play sometimes.
    Free HP Tuners Beginners Tuning Guide

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

1969 Firebird: 11.67@114 [email protected] 1/8 1.70 60 ft. EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me

Quote Originally Posted by 69lt1bird View Post
    If they suspect your car has been messed with and it led to a warranty failure they can see how many times the ECM has been programmed. They can check VIS for warranty history to see what has been done at their dealer or another dealer. If they don't match pay the man at the door.

Get to be buddies with a tech or service manager if you want to play and don't throw a fit if a claim gets bounced back or declined. You have to pay to play sometimes.
    Actually, its not for me nor my car, but over at the CF forum, there's a member that bought a used 08, looked all stock, and was told by the dealer it was stock and still under warranty. Well for some reason it droped a valve, and the dealer he took it too said it had been re-programmed, despite the CVN number matching, they said the history didn't match.

So really, the concern is for all futur buyer of used cars, wethere it be from private or dealer sale that will have to check for the ECM history.

I was wondering if that was a big BS claim, or if there's a way for a buyer to check either using HPT or, having a dealer check it out.

So if the CVN is fine, where is the history number? People on this forum said there was no such "counter" which seems to me by your statment that there is.

It would be a good thing for people to be made aware of, especially for those in the market of a user hi perf sports car (G8, GTO, Corvette etc). I know I would have never thought of checking for that, and neither that CF member, and now he is stuck with a 20k repair bill on a used 08 Z06. He baught it with 1500 miles, and 10k miles later it poped -sounds like a broken spring that droped a valve!
    Last edited by mirage2991; 07-28-2009 at 06:21 PM.

so anyone has any information?

Tuner in Training
    this is always a hot debate topic on Corvette Forum.....wish i knew for sure

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mirage2991 View Post
    is there such things on 08 Z06's?
    it is claimed that even though the CVN would be the same if a stock tuned is put back on, the "programing hisotry" would be off...or is it just for Duramax?
    If you restore the factory tune using HPT, or a Tech2, ALL the factory CVNs go back, and even if they check it with a Tech2, it will show them absolutely nothing different than when your vehicle rolled off the showroom floor. It's also possible to modify certain parameters in a certain way that will produce the same CVN data as factory.

Quote Originally Posted by 69lt1bird View Post
    If they suspect your car has been messed with and it led to a warranty failure they can see how many times the ECM has been programmed.
    Actually, not on this particular pcm. They are unable to determine how many times it has been flashed, as there is not a flash counter. There's only a select few, and I believe it's currently only the Duramax trucks. There may be another or two, but nothing common like we tune.

Quote Originally Posted by da vette guy View Post
    this is always a hot debate topic on Corvette Forum.....wish i knew for sure
    Now you do!
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    If you restore the factory tune using HPT, or a Tech2, ALL the factory CVNs go back, and even if they check it with a Tech2, it will show them absolutely nothing different than when your vehicle rolled off the showroom floor. It's also possible to modify certain parameters in a certain way that will produce the same CVN data as factory.

Actually, not on this particular pcm. They are unable to determine how many times it has been flashed, as there is not a flash counter. There's only a select few, and I believe it's currently only the Duramax trucks. There may be another or two, but nothing common like we tune.

Now you do!
    thanks...i was wondering the same over the cf forum too... i knew if u put ur factory tune back it should generate the same CVN ...but was not sure about the history counter ...thanks

I'd like to verify this as fact. I was actually discussing this exact issue with one of the guys at the local dealership. We discussed the procedure for taking a picture of the TECHII, and sending GM a digital picture of the CVN's.

Allegedly they had a vehicle that had been programmed, the owner had "put it back to stock". A scan by the Tech II showed the CVN's didn't match up so GM denied the warranty on the vehicle.

So, I just wanted to confirm that if you re-install the factory calibration that the CVN should match what GM is expecting to see. The only thing that should show is the number of times the ECM has been flashed. Or is it still agreed that only certian vehicles (like the Dmax have a flash counter).

Is this correct?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
    I'd like to verify this as fact. I was actually discussing this exact issue with one of the guys at the local dealership. We discussed the procedure for taking a picture of the TECHII, and sending GM a digital picture of the CVN's.

Allegedly they had a vehicle that had been programmed, the owner had "put it back to stock". A scan by the Tech II showed the CVN's didn't match up so GM denied the warranty on the vehicle.

So, I just wanted to confirm that if you re-install the factory calibration that the CVN should match what GM is expecting to see. The only thing that should show is the number of times the ECM has been flashed. Or is it still agreed that only certian vehicles (like the Dmax have a flash counter).

Is this correct?
    Maybe the owner did not return it to the "stock" tune too well. Have seen GM with two different CVN's for the stock tune with the same OS though. That's why the dealer needs to take a pic and send it to GM for checking.

Did the dealer show you a flash counter? Or talk about one?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post

Is this correct?
    IF you are using HPT, and you reload the factory backup file, ALL the CVNs will matchup to what the factory CVNs were. Yes, only certain vehicles have a flash counter, such as the Duramax. I am not aware of any other GM vehicles, tho I am sure there are some obscure ones. The LSx based vehicles are not one of them.

Furthermore, how do we even know the guy at the dealership had his story right? The dealership is basically where all the BS and rumors have come from over the years on this subject. There's always some new "puff the magic dragon" method of figuring it out for them, LOL (no knock against the techs who are "in the know").
    Formerly known as RWTD

The person I spoke with has always been very helpful to me. He in fact did not want to void the guys warranty. But, he followed the GM procedure, and sent in a picture. My guess is the guy did not return the vehicle to the stock program and the CVN did not match up despite his assurances he had put the truck "back to stock".

I understand the idea of a checksum, and completely get the checksum matching if the tune is stock. In fact I can see playing with the values enough to get the checksum to match on a non-stock tune. But I suspect that might be a pain to actually do.

I may go by and play with it to see what I see on the latest and greatest gear and see what shows up.

Advanced Tuner
    IF you are using HPT, and you reload the factory backup file, ALL the CVNs will matchup to what the factory CVNs were. Yes, only certain vehicles have a flash counter, such as the Duramax. I am not aware of any other GM vehicles, tho I am sure there are some obscure ones. The LSx based vehicles are not one of them.

Furthermore, how do we even know the guy at the dealership had his story right? The dealership is basically where all the BS and rumors have come from over the years on this subject. There's always some new "puff the magic dragon" method of figuring it out for them, LOL (no knock against the techs who are "in the know").
    Can CVN's be viewed in HPT?

Senior Tuner
    Yes, in the latest beta.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, in the latest beta.
    I have last weeks cut...where?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSX378 View Post
    I have last weeks cut...where?
    I may be wrong, but I swear they were in there, or at least were at one time. Maybe you have to do a VCM Suite info?
    Formerly known as RWTD

Advanced Tuner
    I may be wrong, but I swear they were in there, or at least were at one time. Maybe you have to do a VCM Suite info?
    Last time I looked at an "info" there were no CVN's there either.

Bill @ HPT? Any feedback?

Senior Tuner
    Nevermind, I was looking at the Segment details.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Advanced Tuner
    At least I am not going blind. They are available in the competition though.

Tuner
    There was just a recent update on the TechII about three weeks ago that as soon as it is plugged in now it takes a picture of it and compares what should be there. From what I read in the report the TechII does it all. They have also implemented a new aftermarket parts program, if they see them, which they will, it is automatic warranty drop. Specific cars like the Coby SS,Camaro and Duramax trucks the dealer can't do anything drivetrain warranty related without a GM rep coming to authorize it. GM was burned a lot over the last few years with the Dmax trucks and the Coby SS. Talking with my dad (Service Manager) he said air intakes and catbacks most likely won't cause a drop, more advanced stuff like tuners, headers, heads, cams, etc. will be closely looked at. Two years ago I had the sail panel on my TA warranted, took some sweet talking, but GM came and looked at the car with three guys, looked at tires (which were original with 26k miles), drivetrain slop, exhaust system, mileage etc. and said ok. It had a lid, y pipe and catback, they had no issues.

I was going to tune my cousins TC/SS coby this weekend so i'll grab the techII and see what happens.
    98 Buick GSX IS3 Heads/GenVblower/cammed/intercooled and stalled
    02 Collector Edition Trans Am WS6
    94 S-10 with Rancho 3" lift on 33's
    93 Typhoon
    07 Tahoe

Senior Tuner
    Odd, we haven't received that update to our Tech2. Hmmm!
    Formerly known as RWTD