Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep getting "Preparing VCM: Failed"

Tuner in Training

Keep getting "Preparing VCM: Failed"

I cannot download or upload any tunes to my car as I keep getting "Failed" when Preparing VCM. I also keep getting an ABS error whenever the failed comes up.

Any suggestions?
    This is what I am seeing:

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Battery or wiring issue is the most common reason for a bootloader time out error.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    I have a brand new optima red top and no funky wiring.

Aftermarket stereo? Might need to pull the fuse or disconnect.
    Steve

2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 | 3.7 I5-Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | AMSoil fluids

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jackedupcanyon View Post
    Aftermarket stereo? Might need to pull the fuse or disconnect.
    Nope. And I turned my stock one off.

Although, I'll take out the fuse and see if that works, however that shouldn't be a problem. All my electric stuff is stock.

Tuner in Training
    Didn't work.

Weird. You try the easy stuff like rebooting? Also might want to close all your other programs. I have had the scanner cause the editor trouble when trying to load a tune with the scanner open.
    Steve

2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 | 3.7 I5-Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | AMSoil fluids

Tuner in Training
    Yea I only had up VCM Editor. Rebooted computer, tried like a hundred times.
    The ABS fault is weird.

Tuner in Training
    What worked for my is " Get VCM Suite info " (! bubble) first. Also I could not use an inverter with my laptop, would not connect at all.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by R/T Slayer View Post
    What worked for my is " Get VCM Suite info " (! bubble) first. Also I could not use an inverter with my laptop, would not connect at all.
    Are you talking about the kind you use to plug into cars so you can plug your laptop into it?

Support told me it was a wiring issue, although all my wiring is stock. They haven't offered up anything else.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatbum View Post
    Are you talking about the kind you use to plug into cars so you can plug your laptop into it?

Support told me it was a wiring issue, although all my wiring is stock. They haven't offered up anything else.
    Do you have an inverter? Is it stock? If not then THAT in itself is a wiring issue.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Do you have an inverter? Is it stock? If not then THAT in itself is a wiring issue.
    All my wiring is stock.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I'm not going to argue the point any more than I already have, if you have an inverter remove it & try again.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    I'm not going to argue the point any more than I already have, if you have an inverter remove it & try again.
    What are you talking about? Who was arguing about what?

Tuner
    This happens to me also, I have a brand new yellow top optima, I don't use any inverter what so ever. The only way its letting me reflash my ecu is by reading the entire vcm beforehand. Not per "session" either, EACH time I want to flash the ecu I have READ the entire vcm beforehand.

I figure if the battery or wiring was bad, it wouldn't let me read/flash at all?
    Last edited by dom1013; 08-06-2009 at 05:26 PM.
    04' Ion Redline - Intense Racing Stage 5 kit - Snow Performance Water/Meth kit - ZZP S3 H/E - Newly Built forged Internal Engine....Being KEPT alive this time via HPTUNERS.

Tuner
    Damn, stuck on the side road @ midnight because couldn't flash the pcm within the 10min battery life window the laptop had and car won't start, can someone PLEASE point me in a direction to fix this issue, this fuckin sucks
    04' Ion Redline - Intense Racing Stage 5 kit - Snow Performance Water/Meth kit - ZZP S3 H/E - Newly Built forged Internal Engine....Being KEPT alive this time via HPTUNERS.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Reflash the pcm using the same file.

Tuner in Training
    I have the same problem. It wont read or wright. I had no problem a month ago. I have rebooted, unhooked car battery and reconnected. I have tryed everything listed above and have refreshed my app. key any ideas??

6.2L L92 (525 HP) ARP Bolts, Comp Cam 224/230 cam and push rods, Patriot Gold Springs, E-Fans, 175 HP shot NOS, Percision 3200 mult-disc, and RPM Transmissions Lv 5.
    Best E.T. So Far:
    1.734 60 FT. Spinning off the line!!!
    11.72 @ 116.09

Tuner
    - Good battery *check*
    - Aftermarket H/U powered down *check*
    - Looks around for any type of Inverter *check*
    - Make sure all accessories are off *check*

-Try a high speed flash........
    -Then try a low speed flash.......
    -Restarts laptop tries again.......

Reads entire VCM, sits in hot car for 15mins b/c u dont wanna move......*voila!*

Attempts to flash the tune w/TINY tweaks you need to input from the logging....*voila!*

Now, more logging to do because MAF tuning just aint done on 1 log...*15 mins later*

Let's try to flash this thing again.............

Starts entire cycle all over again....WHHHHHHYYYY??? lol What kinda "wiring issue" do I need to look for? Why will it only let me flash the car AFTER I read ENTIRE.

Yes, sometime I AM able to quickly flash the car, ONCE IN a blue moon. YES, it will SOMETIMES work if I flash ENTIRE, still takes forever though. Sometimes after I try to write the entire tune then quickly enable high speed then try again, it WILL flash it right, SOMETIMES.

Could it be a software issue?
    Last edited by dom1013; 08-10-2009 at 08:10 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom1013 View Post
    - Good battery *check*
    - Aftermarket H/U powered down *check*
    - Looks around for any type of Inverter *check*
    - Make sure all accessories are off *check*

-Try a high speed flash........
    -Then try a low speed flash.......
    -Restarts laptop tries again.......

Reads entire VCM, sits in hot car for 15mins b/c u dont wanna move......*voila!*

Attempts to flash the tune w/TINY tweaks you need to input from the logging....*voila!*

Now, more logging to do because MAF tuning just aint done on 1 log...*15 mins later*

Let's try to flash this thing again.............

Starts entire cycle all over again....WHHHHHHYYYY??? lol What kinda "wiring issue" do I need to look for? Why will it only let me flash the car AFTER I read ENTIRE.

Yes, sometime I AM able to quickly flash the car, ONCE IN a blue moon. YES, it will SOMETIMES work if I flash ENTIRE, still takes forever though. Sometimes after I try to write the entire tune then quickly enable high speed then try again, it WILL flash it right, SOMETIMES.

Could it be a software issue?
    No idea, never run across this.