Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not getting cmd advance.

not getting cmd advance.

any one ever ran into this before?

the other week i started to really work on my 15psi pump gas tune, so i can DD the car a bit more often, however since i've swapped to the current 2.2X beta i end up with a chunk of timing missing.

I'm commanding 20deg and getting 12-13deg.

not only is this spikeing EGT's but the feel of the car is gone. not nearly as much "shit-n-rip" as she used to.

i fired of an e-mail to support as it might be a possible beta issue, but i figured i'd ask and see if this has been solved in the past.

screen shot of a log.

no KR, ait's are in check. MAF and injectors are maxed, but thats never been an issue in the past.

that is some weird shit, but at least you don't have coolant coming out of your exhaust
    2006 cobalt (no more turbo)
    m62 2.7 pulley, E85, 79lb/hr injectors, 4-2-1 longtube header, airbox mod, stock catback

1998 Trans am 5.3 iron block 317 heads 88mm turbo e85 105lb/hr injectors, twin 255's.... build in progress

2014 wrx mild tune 18psi pump gas

Your timing advance went down proportionately as your injector duty cycle went up and commander AFK hit 11:1. Whatever the problem is, look there.
    2011 Camaro SS. LS3/630rwhp n/a

while the maf does need another re-cal, i've never seen an AFR error cause a reduction in advance.

i going to have to jump the maf into a 3.25/3.5in pipe as to bring things back on the table once the boost goes north of 15 again.

for a short while, i ran the car at ~25psi and race gas (used the octane to supplement the missing fuel as AFR's were a bit high) and got the 24-26deg i was commanding

this is still an odd, open ended issue in my eyes....

welp, finally had another run with the car today.

went back to the current 2.22 release and re-flashed the car, first pull was just about dead on, but the 2nd pull things dropped again.

commanding 18deg.

1st pull.

2nd pull, just moments after the first.

fuck.

any ideas?

My timing is set to about 12*

MY guess is the car is getting hot and pulling timing in the IAT spark table. Why don't you post up a tune and a log so we can see what you are screwing up. Screen shots don't help do aything but make us wonder what you did wrong.
    RSG Offroad
    Jeeps. Jeeps. And more Jeeps. Oh and Jeeps too.

Quote Originally Posted by dont_blink View Post
    MY guess is the car is getting hot and pulling timing in the IAT spark table. Why don't you post up a tune and a log so we can see what you are screwing up. Screen shots don't help do aything but make us wonder what you did wrong.
    I can assure you that the AIT tables are set just as i want them. zero's on the low side, not pulling until 140*

as you can see from the screen shots, AIT's that arnt exceeding 100* wouldn't even lead to pulled timeing in a stock car, in fact i would be up 3-5deg.
    Last edited by 06black; 07-27-2009 at 08:08 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06black View Post
    I can assure you that the AIT tables are set just as i want them. zero's on the low side, not pulling until 140*

as you can see from the screen shots, AIT's that arnt exceeding 100* wouldn't even lead to pulled timeing in a stock car, in fact i would be up 3-5deg.
    Are your high and low octane spark tables both commanding the same amount of timing? Make sure you check your histograms for total KR and KR because the beta scanner graph is not always the best at detecting KR.

HO/LO are matched.

histogram shows nothing during WOT.

i've ran this over again and again in my head and i cant find an issue.....

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06black View Post
    HO/LO are matched.

histogram shows nothing during WOT.

i've ran this over again and again in my head and i cant find an issue.....
    You got me there. Possible bug with the scannner maybe? Try scanning it with the regular software. Bad spark plugs maybe? Any misfires?

i log misfires, its a big ole "0" (see table4)

even my interceptor confirms this lack of advance.

Set up a config that logs all the possible types of retard (Burst, cat lightoff, piston slap). Also log the advances (coolant, cranking, egr, iat, flex fuel, pe/cot, launch, TM).

Look for any positive numbers in the retard PIDs and negative numbers in the advance PIDs.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    Set up a config that logs all the possible types of retard (Burst, cat lightoff, piston slap). Also log the advances (coolant, cranking, egr, iat, flex fuel, pe/cot, launch, TM).

Look for any positive numbers in the retard PIDs and negative numbers in the advance PIDs.
    That is what I am thinking too. You were logging 18* of advance on the first log and it suddenly dropped to 15 so either there is spark retard of some kind going on or there is a table somewhere that is commanding les timing during the 2nd senario.

that i will do.

thanks 5LE

Senior Tuner
    there is something happening in the background at wot. part throttle it does not do it. it's not heat related either. this has happened 4 times this week to myself on various setups in the lsj world. so it is not just the extreme air flow cases that this applies. mine cmd vs actual is not as far off as 06's. however, it is annoying none the less.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    stop using your interceptor to gauge everything if you are trying to use it to confirm a bad ecm output or input then its not going to help you. the interceptors get all their information from the computer over the obd2 can system. thus it will always read the same as the ecm.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    stop using your interceptor to gauge everything if you are trying to use it to confirm a bad ecm output or input then its not going to help you. the interceptors get all their information from the computer over the obd2 can system. thus it will always read the same as the ecm.
    huh?

who the hell said anything about useing an interceptor?

any who, issue solved.

with the LSJ platform lacking the ability to log anything besides total spark retard, looking into burst, ECT, AIT, ect KR is not attainable.

none the less, this is another case of things going on in the background that we cant yet see via HPT.

even with the tables set to "0" the car was still not fallowing the table(s) so i went back thru and set the multiplier down from "1.0" to "0" and the car now does what i'm after.

some more slight tweaking Vs. RPM and i was able to dial back in some AIT based reduction.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    haha probably was a different thread since i tend to look at multiples for a short time and then go again. but its true so many people are like but my interceptor is right....but its the same as the computer due to can supplied info hahaha.

oh well
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman