Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Cadillac STS Northstar crank and cam signals

2007 Cadillac STS Northstar crank and cam signals

Does anyone know what the crank signal is on these? The cam? I'm gathering info on a swap and I need that info. The ecm is an e67.

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TimC View Post
    Does anyone know what the crank signal is on these? The cam? I'm gathering info on a swap and I need that info. The ecm is an e67.

Thanks

You mean like 24X/1X or 58X/4X ?

E67 is 58X.

Quote Originally Posted by LSX378 View Post
    You mean like 24X/1X or 58X/4X ?

E67 is 58X.
    OK great. I wasn't sure if all the e67 cars were 58x. I'm gathering info on an LS3 swap and I'm about to put the crank in the block so I wanted to make sure the trigger wheel was right.

Do you think the cam signal is 4x?

Advanced Tuner
    OK great. I wasn't sure if all the e67 cars were 58x. I'm gathering info on an LS3 swap and I'm about to put the crank in the block so I wanted to make sure the trigger wheel was right.

Do you think the cam signal is 4x?
    Naw. I know it is.

Naw. I know it is.
    Sweet. This car is a complicated mother so I'm hoping I can just wire in the LS3 crank, cam, and other sensors and go. It's going to be my new DD so everything has to work like stock.

The e67 OS is very different than the 99 and 02 truck OS that I'm used to

Advanced Tuner
    Sweet. This car is a complicated mother so I'm hoping I can just wire in the LS3 crank, cam, and other sensors and go. It's going to be my new DD so everything has to work like stock.

The e67 OS is very different than the 99 and 02 truck OS that I'm used to
    Unlikely it will run with a Northstar tune. You will need either an LS2 tune from a 06/07 CTS-V (for example), or something similar that normally runs a Gen IV 58X engine.

Unlikely it will run with a Northstar tune. You will need either an LS2 tune from a 06/07 CTS-V (for example), or something similar that normally runs a Gen IV 58X engine.
    I'm going to copy tables from an LS3 tune and paste them to get it started. I'll tune from there.

I'll repin the injectors and ignition. I think it will be fine.

Advanced Tuner
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dogn View Post
    how are you ganna past tables you can not see? like the ones that have not been added to the editor?

diddo- Good Luck
    Which tables are those and what trouble might they give me? Why are there tables that are not accessible to me?

Advanced Tuner
    To add to Dogn's comments, there are 100's and 100's and 100's of tables in the ECM's.

A tuning editor like HPT generally exposes the most relevant ones for tuning a particular ECM-vehicle combination plus some. The ones needed to calibrate an ECM for a completely different vehicle may or may not be there. With a Northstar you are looking at an airflow model that is built for 4.4L. Taking it to 6.2 is a big jump/

So........good luck. It may work, it may not. If it doesnt. Put an LS2 tune in from an 06/07 CTS-V. After you have GM put in the right base level software for that car.

I'm a bit confused. Other than repinning the injector and ignition outputs, how is what I'm doing different than what everybody else does when the put a 408 in a 2002 Camaro?

Advanced Tuner
    I'm a bit confused. Other than repinning the injector and ignition outputs, how is what I'm doing different than what everybody else does when the put a 408 in a 2002 Camaro?
    An LS1 PCM is not an E38/E67. An LS1 PCM does not used a pure math based airflow model, and does not support multiple cams, VVT, DOD/AFM, forced induction. (Northstar in a V is a S/C Intercooled, quad cam VVT engine right?)

You are doing some pioneering work here. Go for it.

An LS1 PCM is not an E38/E67. An LS1 PCM does not used a pure math based airflow model, and does not support multiple cams, VVT, DOD/AFM, forced induction. (Northstar in a V is a S/C Intercooled, quad cam VVT engine right?)

You are doing some pioneering work here. Go for it.
    Crap. Pioneering is usually expensive. I'm still going to do it though. My car should be delivered Wednesday. It doesn't currently run so I have to get the Northstar running then pull it and install a new cradle and swap the LS3 in.

I've been reading the A6 thread and my head feels like it is going to explode. My STS has a 6L50 in it currently. I wonder if it will survive the cammed LS3 torque? The rating on the trans is only 332 ft/lbs.

so..

I had one program that worked fine with one set up. took it out and put it in my camaro with the other drive train that ran well in the other.. now it does not run well at all.. only fix.. segment swap.. TY BTW, Bill .

you might have all the tables.. might not.. only the gods with'n know..

just saying good luck
    I just reread this part. Can you be more specific about the trouble you had and what you did to fix it? I've seen the term "segment swap" before but I don't know what it means.

Advanced Tuner
    Thank You to those who take their time to try to help others!
    Yes that is what this is about. Trying to help you Tim.

Pure and simple. On your project, an E67 with an LS2 tune is a proven combination (GMPP controller seems to use an 06 LS2 as a base too). An E67 with Northstar combination, unless someone pipes up and confirms they have done it and it does work, is not proven.

So its whether you want the easy way, or the unknown way. If you're adventurous and have time, why not take the unknown way, it may be just as easy. You will know once you get there.

Segment swapping is not the answer to everything. It works in limited cases, and is popular with LS1 PCM's for using a 4L80E with a PCM that originally supported a 4L60/65E.

Segment swaps work only with like operating systems with the same part number. That is due to the data structure of the segment generally not being the same from one OS to another. And even in the same OS the segments need to be compatible in terms of what options are selected when GM originally compiled them. (how do I know? )

Yes that is what this is about. Trying to help you Tim.

Pure and simple. On your project, an E67 with an LS2 tune is a proven combination (GMPP controller seems to use an 06 LS2 as a base too). An E67 with Northstar combination, unless someone pipes up and confirms they have done it and it does work, is not proven.

So its whether you want the easy way, or the unknown way. If you're adventurous and have time, why not take the unknown way, it may be just as easy. You will know once you get there.

Segment swapping is not the answer to everything. It works in limited cases, and is popular with LS1 PCM's for using a 4L80E with a PCM that originally supported a 4L60/65E.

I guess I've got some pioneering to do I still can't figure out why it wouldn't work.

Segment swaps work only with like operating systems with the same part number. That is due to the data structure of the segment generally not being the same from one OS to another. And even in the same OS the segments need to be compatible in terms of what options are selected when GM originally compiled them. (how do I know? )
    I looked at the 2007 STS tune and the 08 Vette LS3 tune and they are very similar. The main difference I see is the MAF table. The LS3 maf goes further in Hz and goes way past 512g/sec. I'll use the Northstar MAF and see how that goes.

How could I load an LS2 or LS3 engine tune without changing the tranny calibration? My STS has the 6L50, the Vette has the 6L80. The tables are all the same but the numbers in some of them are different.
    1971 Corvette-LS3 swap with custom cam. Stainless headers and sheet metal intake built by the owner. 442rwhp.

2007 STS-V-Billet Precision 67mm turbo swap. 563rwhp@15psi.

1991 Camaro-6.0 swap with LS6 heads and custom cam. Headers and other swap bits fabricated by myself (wife's car)

Advanced Tuner
    I looked at the 2007 STS tune and the 08 Vette LS3 tune and they are very similar. The main difference I see is the MAF table. The LS3 maf goes further in Hz and goes way past 512g/sec. I'll use the Northstar MAF and see how that goes.

How could I load an LS2 or LS3 engine tune without changing the tranny calibration? My STS has the 6L50, the Vette has the 6L80. The tables are all the same but the numbers in some of them are different.
    From memory...the 6L50 has a T43 controller like the 6L80/90. So there is a chance it has a compatible tune in it that will work with the right ECM tune.

If you try it, and it is not compatible then GM or someone that can flash GM software in could reflash to a compatible tune.

You are entering the twilight zone.....

If you try it, and it is not compatible then GM or someone that can flash GM software in could reflash to a compatible tune.
    That's true. I could flash the entire Vette tune and have the dealership reflash the TCU back to a stock STS cal. I just had that done on the last wrecked STS I fixed. I should probably do that right off the batt.

Click your Heals 3 times...

If not you could always ask say Bill, @ support or ECtune or Edwright
    I don't want to get stuck in OZ, that's for sure
    1971 Corvette-LS3 swap with custom cam. Stainless headers and sheet metal intake built by the owner. 442rwhp.

1991 Camaro-6.0 swap with LS6 heads and custom cam. Headers and other swap bits fabricated by myself (wife's car)

To flash an LS3 Vette tune I'd need a license for the STS tune and the Vette tune wouldn't I?

My thinking is to use an LS3 tune since my motor will be closest to that. Is that what you guys would do?

The car is being delivered today