Thread: Lean when put into gear?

Advanced Tuner

Lean when put into gear?

So after figureing out my last issue, I have been tuning my truck according to what seems as a pretty good idle thread I found over on Performance trucks. http://performancetrucks.net/forums/...d.php?t=373848. I didn't do the VE tuning part on the first couple of pages though. So so far I can get my truck to idle really good in park. I don't have my LC-1 hooked up to the Tuner yet, but it idles in park between 14.9 to 15.4. Now when I put it into gear(drive, its a Auto), It hesitates and the wideband reads about 16.4 to 16.9. It idles ok, i'm sure it could be better if I can figure out a way to get it a little richer without messing up my in park AFR. The only other thing is at startup. Right when it starts it doesn't like to stay running unless I give it a little throttle when the truck is cold. It starts a little shaky when hot but not too bad. I posted my current tune and a quick log of when its in park and then to drive. I don't know if it is a good enough log, if not I can get another tomorrow.

Senior Tuner
    I suspect this an error in your VE table, along the MAP axis. On
    my car the higher MAP (from A4 load) runs richer, not leaner,
    but there is a MAP-axis gradient that you have to true up. On
    an automatic there are many points that can't be hit easily, but
    for idle / cruise you can switch gears, turn on accessory loads
    and so on to at least cover the normal envelope.

Advanced Tuner
    I must of not when far enough down on the manifold pressure axis. I just tried a little tweaking from 50 to 75 KPa and it seemed to help, I'll check again tomorrow. As far as the start though it does hunt and seem kind of lean and then finally come down it seems fine. I had to delay the decay because before the AFR would go nuts and then the truck would die. When I switch from Park to Drive, it does go pretty far down in RPM before finding home. Its too late for farther tweaking tonight (open downpipe), lol, so tomorrow's another day.

Advanced Tuner
    Nevermind about the start-up. Its amazing what the search button can do jk thats all I have been doing on 3 forums for the past 3 months lol. My problem is I am going to 2 bar SD, and its the first time tuning, lol. Too many variables right off the bat. So i'll just set OFLA back to the stock, because its all 1's when the ECT is past 158 degree's F anyways so i'm guessing that shouldn't be an issue. Also I seen somewhere on this forum that if you are running a boost/vacuum referenced FPR that the IFR can be the same value across the board. Aren't all stock FPR referenced, mines an Aeromotive and referenced too, though.
    Last edited by ns158sl; 07-22-2009 at 10:20 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Hey so now today I am going to just try tuning the VE with a AFR error histo, but It is always commanding 14.03? I looked through my PE and BE and OFLA tables and can't seem to find why it isn't commanding 14.7. Can anyone explain what it wrong here? Thanks a lot.

Eric

Senior Tuner
    Are your certain you are seeing COMMANDED AFR 14.03? OR are you just seeing that as you logged ACTUAL AFR using your wideband? If its commanded then you simply need to verify your STOICH AFR value in your tune is set to the correct value. It will only COMMAND what your are telling it too...though it may not be able to hit that number which is what you are logging and tuning for.
    Last edited by Cantalope Kid; 07-23-2009 at 01:46 PM.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Advanced Tuner
    No it is my commanded, and I'm in OLSD so my actual is around 15 on my AFR. This is only for idle cause thats what I am still in the process of getting, lol. The other thing is my AFR error histo which i just used from the original ones from HPtuners, it starts the counting in the 15 KPa cells, but truck idles around 50-60 KPa.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ns158sl View Post
    Also I seen somewhere on this forum that if you are running a boost/vacuum referenced FPR that the IFR can be the same value across the board. Aren't all stock FPR referenced, mines an Aeromotive and referenced too, though.

That is correct, if you are running a boost/vacuum referenced FPR, the IFR as well a the injector offset info, should be the same value. The regulators in 99+ ls1 f-bodies are not referenced, they keep a constant pressure(supposedly).
    1999 White T/A M6. 383 LT4 YSi 697RWHP/598RWTQ
    Run your Gen1 or Gen2 SBC with the LS1 ecu
    My mods
    HP Tuners 3 Bar Enhanced OS with RTT, priceless.

Advanced Tuner
    ok well I guess i'll change the IFR value back. The only other thing I can think about is the commanded AFR is 14.03 is because its 10 % ethanol gas?