Thread: new e38 emc, need some help here.

Potential Tuner

new e38 emc, need some help here.

quick backstory, I was having issues with my fans not turning on, after countless hours chasing ground wires and doing everything possible to not replace the ecm, I ended up buying a new ecm. I put my tune on the new ecm, the car fired up and after doing a crack relearn things seemed to be going in the right direction.

Here is my issue now. When traction control is on I can drive the car normally, however as soon as I turn it off and try to give it even 30% throttle it goes into reduced engine power and its throwing code p0606. I can clear the code and all seems fine again. So I guess my question is do I have to do anything else besides putting my tune back on and the crack relearn after putting in a new ecm?

2006 ls2, ecs, meth, cam, headers

thank you in advance, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Did you write your old file back into that new computer?

If so, I wouldn't have done that. I would have made a whole new tune with the file pulled from that computer. Nothing some copy/paste couldn't have taken care of.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I got my tune from my tuner and did a write entire. The new ecm had some default tune on it already, I took the newest tune for my car(same one that was on my bad ecm) and wrote that to the new ecm.

I kinda figured as much, I wouldn't do that. If something between those two computers doesn't jive, then it's possible that is why you are getting the P0606 code.

If possible I would write entire the original file you pulled from that computer back in. Then take that file and re-make your old tune with the other file. You can copy/paste all your changes over to that file to make it the same.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    The tune that was on the new ecm was not even for a corvette. That's why I wrote it over the way I did.

Ah I see. I also think that is part of your problem. A write entire with HP Tuners does not cover all segments within the calibration. So if say it was for a truck or something, flashing it with HP Tuners to a Corvette file doesn't make it a true corvette file because it's missing two segments still.

With used computer it's always best to have it flashed with your vehicle VIN using a GM tool so that all parts of that file match the vehicle it's being used on.

Potential Tuner
    So at this point what are my best options? Also I was told to do it this way. Im really new at all of this so I just followed my tuners instructions.

So now you know that your tuner doesn't know how GM Gen4 ECMs work, so that's neat.

Gen3s with electronic throttle have an external TAC box. On those, you CAN change one platform to another with a write-entire, because the TAC is independent of both the PCM hardware and the tune file/calibration.

Gen4s have that box built-in to the ECM, but the software in that built-in TAC isn't read or written by HP Tuners - there are 8 segments, HPT only reads/writes 6 of them. If your 6 Corvette segments and the leftover 2 segments from the Malibu (or whatever) don't know how to talk to each other, or the Malibu TAC segments don't know how to talk to a Corvette pedal and throttle body, you get weird REP issues and/or P0606.

screenshot.06-02-2019 19.53.32 numbered.png

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by beefy696969 View Post
    So at this point what are my best options? Also I was told to do it this way. Im really new at all of this so I just followed my tuners instructions.
    Flash the new PCM with a corvette appropriate oem file with tech2.

Then read that file. Modify this file and then write the calibration.

Tuner in Training
    I am trying to get a one working, if you look at what has been done here any suggestions where I go from here? https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ighlight=p0606