Thread: Agressive Shifting on an Auto.

Aggressive Shifting on an Auto.

What tables would need to be modified to have aggressive shifting on a 2005+ Mustang GT Automatic. A friend of mine has a diablo handheld and his shifting on his auto tranny is very firm with diablo can tunes, no where near what mine does at WOT. I took out all TM and adjusted shift time but not close. I would just like to know what tables would allow for that kind of shifting at WOT.

Thanks.
    Last edited by mustangjonGT; 07-31-2009 at 01:47 PM.

Ok I found some tables called Base Rate for Upshift for each gear that seems to do the trick. The only thing is I don't think HP Tuners has these tables available, unless they are called something else.

I only change the clutch timings. Shorten the clutch timing and it shifts firmer per gear. Not sure what the HPT file is for doing so, I use a different software for Ford's. HPT for GM.

"Live Young, Die Hard, and be a Good Looking Corpse"

1999 Ford Lightning, Built Motor, Manly Rods/Pistons
    Forged Crank, Howard Cams, Port Polished Heads
    Built 4R100 Trans, Ford Locker Differential
    Long Tube Headers, High Flow Cats (if any)
    150 - Two Stage Nitrous Intake Injected
    Eaton Supercharger with 2 lb upper, 10 lb lower
    20 lbs boost, 55 psi fuel pressure, all tuned to 14.7.
    WOT 11.8, NGK 4177 Plugs at .031
    100 Added Lbs in Rear of Bed

There are 100% missing tables in compare what you can do with sct.
    No matter what you do in hpt, you will not get firm shifting as with sct.
    I sent about year ago exact test files to support to show what is missing, but it's not added yet.

I did test with sct tune, readed one, rewritten all parameters to stock, flash and there is no firm shifting.
    I can resend it to support, maybe they forgot about?

Maybe in hpt is different way to do so, but i couldnt find it. Maybe someone found howto?

Thats why if someone wants that real kick, i use sct.
    Eastern and Central Europe American Muscle and Harley-Davidson tuning
    www.hd-customs.pl
    http://www.facebook.com/hdcustomspl

Tuner

tunning the 5r55

i have spended big time trying to make them shift hard i figured it out but still need to learn to lower the 2-3 shift flare they all have its mostly a timing issue
    ok here i go

- Disable trans torque management by setting to 1 or 2
    the torque reduction tables for shifts

- Under torque management general, set master and shift to DISABLED

- Truncation disabled

- Under shift properties multiply the following boost pressures
    * Coast clutch by 1.2
    * Direct clutch by 1.2
    * High clutch by 1.2
    * Intermediate band wich is the one that aplyes in 3rd gear by 1.3
    * overdrive wich is the band that aplyes in 2nd gear by 1.5
    * do not modify reverse or low reverse

- Stroke pressure only intermediate band and overdrive
    stroke pressure.PNGstrokes.PNGslopes.PNG

the slopes are the major servo and acummulator controllers they directly affect the shit agression when increased but you have to time the aplly and release of the bands test these settings and let me know

clutch fill times can be lowered to improve the shift speed also calibrate your shifts by speed not rpm and it woul lower the manual shift delays
    hope it helps you guys

From what I know, the following tables are missing in Hp Tuners to tune the 5R55. So far I've been unsuccessful in firming up the shifts on this transmission with Hp Tuners. And I did send this info to support in May, and was told that it will be added to their to do list.

1. Desired torque transfer time.

2. Rate to use for inertia torque for 1-2 upshift, 2-3 upshift, 3-4 upshift, 4-5 upshift.

3. Shift firmer.

4. Speed to overide O/D cancel input.

5. Trans shift schedule 1-2, 2-1, 2-3, 3-2, 3-4, 4-3, 4-5 , 5-4.

If they know what's exactly missing and they have compare file, they should easy add this, hope soon.
    www.hd-customs.pl

Tuner
    you can test my settings they do firm the shifts using hptuners we may be missing a bunch of tables but you can firm the shifts the way i posted it also chirps the tires very nice

Tuner
    sometimes you have to learn to do stuff with what you have available on time i do hope support adds the stuff we need

I'll test this when i get next auto.
    www.hd-customs.pl

Quote Originally Posted by witchertorque View Post
    i have spended big time trying to make them shift hard i figured it out but still need to learn to lower the 2-3 shift flare they all have its mostly a timing issue
    Any idea why there is still a 2-3 flare? As for the clutch fill times, I lowered them to almost 0 without any change to the shift firmness. Maybe they need to be raised to firm the shifts. I just ran out of time on the last 5R55 Mustang trans.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    I MEAN STOCK 2-3 FLARE it can be lowered if you fine tune the relation between overdrive band release and intermediate band apply these would help you explain
    Capture.PNG

the flare is a timing issue from the moment you release the overdrive band wich apllyes to engage 2nd gear to the moment yo release it to apply the intermediate band to engage 3rd gear

the clutch fill time works when you play with the other parameters i posted wich really makes it chirp tires wich is stroke and slopes slopes are the rate at wich pcm controlls the pressure to push the acummulator to make the gear shift so the higher the slopes the more violent the pressure transition test my stroke and slope settings

In last verision there are missing tables, what makes firmness is the inertia torque tables (most important in this).
    Yesterday I did some tests and finally it's runing close to what I want. My goal was make this tranny shifting as fast as possible but without burning tires at every shift, no clutch sleep before and and after shift. I found if shifting is more firm, it takes more time before tranny prepare shift, so in result final shifting is slower, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by caniggia; 10-29-2013 at 05:15 AM.
    www.hd-customs.pl

Tuner in Training
    I played around with the tables you changed and holy $h!t!!!! what a difference!!! mustang is so much more responsive now!!!! I have the hot rod cams, frpp intake, lt headers, catted H, mac exhaust, UDP and accel coils, 3:73 gears and 20" rims with falken tires that are being burned up rapidly now!

This isn't going to fry my auto trans hopefully! but kudos Witch on the bad ass configuration!

Quote Originally Posted by witchertorque View Post
    you can test my settings they do firm the shifts using hptuners we may be missing a bunch of tables but you can firm the shifts the way i posted it also chirps the tires very nice