Thread: A6 Torque Management Tutorial - suggestions welcome from the experts (Russ K, etc.)

Tuner in Training

A6 Torque Management Tutorial - suggestions welcome from the experts (Russ K, etc.)

Being that most of us are self taught on a lot of this A6 tuning thing, I thought it might help to document some of what I "think" I have learned or figured out.

Initially it seemed that we only had the ability to enable/disable the TM on the A6's, whereas on the A4's we had a simple little table that would let us tune TM for each gear change @ various TPS's. I tried the master TM enable/disable switch on my Denali and ended up with some insanely harsh Skip-down shifts that I'm pretty sure would have lead to failure. I figured there had to be a better way, or we had to wait for a software improvement to give us back that nice little table!

I happened to spend about 1/2 an hour this weekend talking with a transmission calibrator from GM about the issue which helped a lot. I then found a post which said that adjusting the Shift Torque settings is in turn adjusting the amount of timing that is pulled during the shift. Maybe we have been given that nice little table, but just haven't figured it all out yet. So, I wrote this little tutorial to help myself understand.

I'm still trying to work out how the Tip-In, Flare, and Limit TqMgt sections fit into the picture. I have an idea, but there are some holes in it yet so I didn't publish that part. Ideas are welcome.

Please comment, correct, shoot holes, add to it and re-post, etc. If we can make this good enough maybe it can be a sticky.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Braemerz28; 07-14-2009 at 12:54 PM.
    Scott Braemer
    2000 NHRA Trans Am - LS1
    2006 Trailblazer SS - LS2
    2008 GMC Sierra Denali - L92

Advanced Tuner
    yea i really havent messed with the modifers and multifiers..
    but i will say the shift torque factor relates directly to timing pulled during shifts..
    factory is 1.0 i noticed the more i dropped it(less TM) the less the timing would be pulling in shifts..

i have mine disabled after i went to .30 or so. no bad affect.. if you are gonna disbled TM u need to raise the pressure's and max adapt volume to help..
    https://www.facebook.com/tuningbyshanehinds
    [email protected]
    2009 G8 GT [email protected] 1.60 - Sold
    2008 A6 LS3 C6 Cammed [email protected] 1.44 Sold
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Braemerz28 View Post
    Being that most of us are self taught on a lot of this A6 tuning thing, I thought it might help to document some of what I "think" I have learned or figured out.

Initially it seemed that we only had the ability to enable/disable the TM on the A6's, whereas on the A4's we had a simple little table that would let us tune TM for each gear change @ various TPS's. I tried the master TM enable/disable switch on my Denali and ended up with some insanely harsh Skip-down shifts that I'm pretty sure would have lead to failure. I figured there had to be a better way, or we had to wait for a software improvement to give us back that nice little table!

I happened to spend about 1/2 an hour this weekend talking with a transmission calibrator from GM about the issue which helped a lot. I then found a post which said that adjusting the Shift Torque settings is in turn adjusting the amount of timing that is pulled during the shift. Maybe we have been given that nice little table, but just haven't figured it all out yet. So, I wrote this little tutorial to help myself understand.

I'm still trying to work out how the Tip-In, Flare, and Limit TqMgt sections fit into the picture. I have an idea, but there are some holes in it yet so I didn't publish that part. Ideas are welcome.

Please comment, correct, shoot holes, add to it and re-post, etc. If we can make this good enough maybe it can be a sticky.

Thanks,
    Great start there! Did the GM calibrator mention why STF's are mostly always set at "1"?

Advanced Tuner
    I Know Turning Garage Shift Off Will Cause Some Nice And Brutal Downshifts When You Go Wot, It Will Make The Car Bark The Tires On The Downshift And On The Upshift.

I'd be really interested in what "1" represents. Maybe you could ask your GM friend about that too?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bluessv View Post
    I'd be really interested in what "1" represents. Maybe you could ask your GM friend about that too?
    I believe that the "1" is just a factor so there are no units (psi, degrees, etc) to it or anything like that. It's just another number that can be adjusted to provide a desired result from the equation.

It is strange that there is a factor for each gear, but they set them all the same. My guess is that they might use the flexability in other applications.
    Scott Braemer
    2000 NHRA Trans Am - LS1
    2006 Trailblazer SS - LS2
    2008 GMC Sierra Denali - L92

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bluessv View Post
    Like Braemer says, its a factor. Simply speaking "1" could mean no change, all underlying values multiplied by one. 0.5 being half values, 0.1 1/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Braemerz28 View Post
    I believe that the "1" is just a factor so there are no units (psi, degrees, etc) to it or anything like that. It's just another number that can be adjusted to provide a desired result from the equation.

It is strange that there is a factor for each gear, but they set them all the same. My guess is that they might use the flexability in other applications.
    Have looked at a lot of factory trans tunes across 3 years of models and so far the STF is always 1. Though have seen the STF adder at 1 in lieu of zero in at least one.

It would be interesting to get some insight into the underlying math that arrives at the degree of timing pulled, what defines the shape of the timing pull curve, that we dont seem to have any access to, as logging the timing pulls and torque reduction does not seem to show much consistency in some shift scenarios.