Thread: Brand new to tuning need help

Arrow Brand new to tuning need help

Hello any help would be great I am brand new to tuning I just got my hp tuners program and needed to know what I needed to do to tune my car. Here is a list of mods on my car. Anything not on this list is stock so please help me with this.

comp cam=232-234 lobe=112 valve lift 595.598
    spark plugs=tr55
    melling high volume oil pump part #=10295
    adjustable rocker arms
    lunati performance valve springs
    bbk full length headers + y-pipe
    new timing gear and chain set

All of this I will be installing next weekend but I just need to know how to tune with hptuners for this so please help thank you for your time.

You can't jus ask "what should I do". You need to read a lot to get the fundamentals of tuning then ask specific questions...recommend the following to get started.....

1) Stickies in this forum as well as threads (use search mode)
    2) http://ls1tuningguide.com/tuninghelpfiles.php
    3) Greg Banish books and dvd's
    4) Help files and demo's in HPtuners software

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 07-31-2011 at 08:45 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Senior Tuner
    Go straight to the stickies in your v-8 section like mowton is asking you. Spend the week mulling it over so you have a good idea what is going on before the parts go in. You hit on something that has you going "WTF was that!", post up the questions man
    Good luck and welcome to the world of tuning.... MUhahahhahaa
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    You can't jus ask "what should I do". You need to read a lot to get the fundamentals of tuning then ask specific questions...recommend the following to get started.....

1) Stickies in this forum as well as threads (use search mode)
    2) http://ls1tuningguide.com/tuninghelpfiles.php
    3) Greg Banish books and dvd's
    4) Help files and demo's in HPtuners software

Ed M
    Yep.. i agree 100%. OP; I've been lurking on here for a year and I'm FINALLY getting to a comfort level where I think I'm ready to make a couple changes to a STOCK vehicle. If you are going to try and tune a fully modified car, you're going to have a very steep learning curve. And Greg's DVD's were a tremendous help!

My advice; Read up on as much of the "Getting Started" threads and stickies as you can stomach.

I can give you a rundown of what I've learned and what to start on, but that will take a while.
    2002 Z06 corvette. Heads cam. The usual.

... and fill out your profile to show your location. Someone nearby may well have HPT and be willing to help you.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

Go to "calibratedsuccess.com" Greg will teach you how to properly tune your car.

buy a wideband, then install it.
    04 6.0 silvy china turbo
    87 gn
    03 stroker evo ww
    00 ss camaro

I would be very happy if you could thank you

Arrow

so here is my first question I bought this car used about 3 years ago I always had a problem with the idle and it burning rich I have changed the idle air control valve, tps sensor, mass air flow sensor and the egr valve along with replacing all 4 o2 sensors and nothing worked now I hooked up the hp tuners just to pull the pid of the computer and was looking at it today something looked wrong went to hp tuners website got a 01 ta ws6 stock pid to match up with to see if it was changed but the ws6 pid looked different turned out that my car has a 99 ta pid but my car is a 2001 trans am ws6 any ideas on how to fix this? I think I will take this one step at a time and putting it back to stock will be my first project so that way I will not work around trying to fix someones mistake. I traded with max1 for the greg tuning dvd so I hope that will help. but please any help I would greatly appreciate. if anyone would like to take a look at my pid I can email it to them once again thank you in advance