Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GMPP E67 LS376 / 480 Speedo

GMPP E67 LS376 / 480 Speedo

I have a GMPP E67 LS376 / 480 controller with the hot cam LS3 that i installed in my '85 iroc.

Everything is working well except i can't see any vehicle speed on hptuners.

I have checked the wiring and speed sensor, and i can see on the E67 VSS aux output a speed signal so i think i am getting the signal ok to the controller

Is anyone else using this set-up or a like E67 GMPP and can verify they can see vehicle speed? Did you need to program the Speedo parameters at all to see something... i have set my gear ratio and tire size, pulses per mile, etc but i constantly just see Zero speed

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by alan91z28 View Post
    I have a GMPP E67 LS376 / 480 controller with the hot cam LS3 that i installed in my '85 iroc.

Everything is working well except i can't see any vehicle speed on hptuners.

I have checked the wiring and speed sensor, and i can see on the E67 VSS aux output a speed signal so i think i am getting the signal ok to the controller

Is anyone else using this set-up or a like E67 GMPP and can verify they can see vehicle speed? Did you need to program the Speedo parameters at all to see something... i have set my gear ratio and tire size, pulses per mile, etc but i constantly just see Zero speed
    So you can't see the VSS PID in HPT? But you are seeing some signal out of the Speedo output pin on the E67?

What Manual trans? VSS sensor wired to "VSS in" on the E67 OK? GM VSS sensor?

Check whether "Vehicle Speed Output" source is set to "RepTOS"? Probably is on a GMPP controller.

The VSS PID data may actually be missing (this happens on some OS's), but the speedo output should still work.

May simply be a speedo compatibility challenge. What was your 85 IROC speedo fed by? PCM? VSS direct? BCM? Some earlier GM speedos work easily, some not at all.
    Last edited by LSX378; 07-26-2009 at 02:34 AM. Reason: ...

i have the standard GM VSS sensor in a 6 speed T56... i even bought another new GM sensor just to replace it.

i know i need to do something on the output to get it to drive the Speedo as it is a mech speedo so am using a Cable X box. Don't have that working yet but at least i can see the output.

The problem in hptuners is i do not see any VSS on the gauges, graph, etc within the scanner tool

You are right it is set to RepTOS, not sure what that means. I tried changing it to Serial just to see if it would work in displaying within hptuners but that did not do anything

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    i have the standard GM VSS sensor in a 6 speed T56... i even bought another new GM sensor just to replace it.

i know i need to do something on the output to get it to drive the Speedo as it is a mech speedo so am using a Cable X box. Don't have that working yet but at least i can see the output.

The problem in hptuners is i do not see any VSS on the gauges, graph, etc within the scanner tool

You are right it is set to RepTOS, not sure what that means. I tried changing it to Serial just to see if it would work in displaying within hptuners but that did not do anything

Thanks
    Ok. Got it on the VSS. What do you mean you can "see the output"?

If the GMPP E67 OS doesn't provide VSS PID data, which some dont, you wont see it. There is a PID that identifies whether the speedo output pin is being turned on, but not sure if HPT has this PID/Status Bit ("Vehicle Speed Output Commanded On").

It goes true on VSS not equal to zero even if the VSS PID data is missing. (For some reason the VSS PID disappeared in mid '06 in some models if the BCM is not being used. )

Why did GM do this? To drive retrofitters insane .

RepTOS option enables the VSS "in" pin/s as the VSS source, and the speedo pin as an output.
    Last edited by LSX378; 07-26-2009 at 02:36 AM. Reason: ...

i see the VSS output from the VCM (via an oscilloscope), ie the 4000 ppm signal... i now have this working to drive my speedo in the car by connecting this to a cable-x box with the appropriate seting to 4000ppm.

so my mechanical speedo in the car is being driven by the E67 ECM, but i do not see any vehicle speed data on hptuners

Advanced Tuner
    i see the VSS output from the VCM (via an oscilloscope), ie the 4000 ppm signal... i now have this working to drive my speedo in the car by connecting this to a cable-x box with the appropriate seting to 4000ppm.

so my mechanical speedo in the car is being driven by the E67 ECM, but i do not see any vehicle speed data on hptuners
    Great you got the X speedo running!

mmmmm....looks like the VSS PID data is definately missing in that OS. Only HPT can fix this maybe? It has been raised sometime back as a request, but looks like while the RepTOS option turned up, the VSS PID is still AWOL.
    Last edited by LSX378; 07-26-2009 at 02:36 AM. Reason: ...

Potential Tuner
    So, for the manual shift you set it to RepTOS, that enables the VSS in and the 4k Pulse output.

We are using the 6L90 auto and it is set to Serial. Since there is no seperate VSS I have to assume that the 4k pulse output will not work?

Any chance that the ECU can be set up to output the 4k pulse using the info from the automatic trans?

Thanks

the VSS PID is there for the 19211212 OS as far as i can see. Are you guys able to log Trans Fluid Temp or Trans Output RPM? These should also work. Try deleting the 19211212.os file from your install directory so the scanner will re-poll the available PIDs. If not please send the .os file to support.

The VSS PID is calculated from the trans output RPM so if that is reading zero there is something missing further back in the cal.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisSquier View Post
    So, for the manual shift you set it to RepTOS, that enables the VSS in and the 4k Pulse output.

We are using the 6L90 auto and it is set to Serial. Since there is no seperate VSS I have to assume that the 4k pulse output will not work?

Any chance that the ECU can be set up to output the 4k pulse using the info from the automatic trans?

Thanks
    A manual tune does not natively look for a CAN based VSS signal. It looks for a hardwired VSS signal (even if you can set it to serial, doesnt mean it will work), so you will need to wire the VSS output from the trans, directly to your VSS input on the ECM.

Unless the HPT guru guys know how to work some magic on feeding A6 relevant torque related data to the trans and vice versa on the CAN with that GMPP tune, you will need to get an A6 friendly tune loaded into that E67, unless it was an A6 friendly tune from GM originally.

Chris, do you also see the VSS PID data as being there on a stock G8 ECM tune?
    Last edited by LSX378; 07-26-2009 at 02:37 AM. Reason: ...

Quote Originally Posted by LSX378 View Post
    Chris, do you also see the VSS PID as being there on a stock G8 ECM tune?
    Considering the G8 is a Holden Commodore, the VSS PID works just fine on those.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    Considering the G8 is a Holden Commodore, the VSS PID works just fine on those.

Chris...
    Sorry, should have been more clear. Meant in the same situation as the GMPP E67 controller. Sans BCM for a retrofit. Have found that the VSS PID from the ECM is zero in this situation with G8/VE tunes across all 3 pre 09 OS's, with or without the replicated TOS source being active.
    Last edited by LSX378; 07-15-2009 at 03:16 AM.

i don't know why the BCM would change anything, the VSS is wired to the ECM, it's the ECM that communicates the vehicle speed on the bus for other modules to pickup.
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner
    A manual tune does not natively look for a CAN based VSS signal. It looks for a hardwired VSS signal (even if you can set it to serial, doesnt mean it will work), so you will need to wire the VSS output from the trans, directly to your VSS input on the ECM.
    I guess I just confused everything.

I have a 2008 LS3/6L80 setup with an E38 ECU that is programmed for the 08 Vette.

We are transplanting the setup into a hotrod and want to make the typical 4k pulse output work but have been told that the normal "wired" outputs such as 4k pulse and tachometer signal will not work. I came across this thread that talked about the VSS Input and it looked like, for the manual shift setup, the outputs will work.

What I really need to know is if the ECU can be set up to work properly with the TCM in the tranny AND have those outputs (4k, tach, etc) still function.

Thanks,
    Chris

Advanced Tuner
    i don't know why the BCM would change anything, the VSS is wired to the ECM, it's the ECM that communicates the vehicle speed on the bus for other modules to pickup.
    Agreed its odd, but with no BCM in the picture (retrofit), the VSS PID from the ECM is valid, but equals zero. Get the VSS PID from the TCM, displays correct speed.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisSquier View Post
    I guess I just confused everything.

I have a 2008 LS3/6L80 setup with an E38 ECU that is programmed for the 08 Vette.

We are transplanting the setup into a hotrod and want to make the typical 4k pulse output work but have been told that the normal "wired" outputs such as 4k pulse and tachometer signal will not work. I came across this thread that talked about the VSS Input and it looked like, for the manual shift setup, the outputs will work.

What I really need to know is if the ECU can be set up to work properly with the TCM in the tranny AND have those outputs (4k, tach, etc) still function.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Who told you the normal speedo and tach outputs wont work?

They do in a Corvette . You shouldnt need to touch your setup from current. Unless I am missing something.

Guys I'm curious if the GMPP LS3 / LS376 E67 has the High and Low Maf freq tables vs the LS7 single table.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    High & low.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Agreed its odd, but with no BCM in the picture (retrofit), the VSS PID from the ECM is valid, but equals zero. Get the VSS PID from the TCM, displays correct speed.
    LOL, now i'm confused! SO the scenario in which the VSS PID reads zero is when you have an ECM and TCM, but no BCM?

In that case i would suggest there is some GMLAN related issue going on. But when it's just ECM only something is just missing in the GMPP cal i think.
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    LOL, now i'm confused! SO the scenario in which the VSS PID reads zero is when you have an ECM and TCM, but no BCM?

In that case i would suggest there is some GMLAN related issue going on. But when it's just ECM only something is just missing in the GMPP cal i think.
    Good point . Yes this is confusing LOL. The VSS PID is zero for both the G8/VE auto and manual ECM tunes (auto with TCM), when there is no BCM. With the manual tune, even with the VSS physical signal present from the M6 TOSS and fed into VSS in on the ECM, and a valid speedo out signal to a speedo (4k PPM) from the ECM, the VSS PID is still zero. Glad the weekend is coming . Tracking this logic is creating a headache!

i can now verify that with my setup

GMPP E67 ECM for LS376 / 480
    T56 Transmission
    VSS Output of T56 going to GMPP ECM
    ECM VSS Output going to my Cable X Mech Speedo Box

that the VSS from the T56 is used by the ECM and scaled to 4000 PPM... I have adjusted using HP Tuners my wheel diam, gear ratio, pulses per mile and set my Cable X box to calibration of 4000 PPM. My mechanical speedo reads right on and that works great

Still do not see any speed on HP Tuners Scanner

I will try deleting the .OS file this weekend and see if that changes anything.

My next thought was to try and bring a speed signal into the HP Tuners similar to bring in the wideband o2 so at least i could get speed on the graph, this is kind of a clunky way to do it and hopefully we can figure out how to get the VSS PID turned on

Thanks