Thread: Meth injection and IAT2

Advanced Tuner

Meth injection and IAT2

I just installed a kit on my solstice GXP today. It has a 3gph nozzle mounted on the cold side IC pipe about 12-16 inches before the Tmap (IAT2). I'm running 75% methanol/water.

I took it for a shakedown run with the onset at 10PSI claimed from the vendor. It seemed to pull hard, but my IAT2 was not impressively cooler, only a couple degrees cooler than ambient. In addition I was still logging some KR in boost at low RPM. After the run, i felt the IC pipe - it was VERY cold to the touch. So my qustion is why isn't the IAT2 showing the temperature drop when the meth injects? Ambient today = ~80*, lowest IAT2 = 74*. The pipe felt MUCH cooler than that, kind of like a nice cold beer out of the fridge.

I tried another run by turning down that boost onset, but that led to horrible misfire. I probably went too low and was getting quenching, which i understand is when the meth/water mixture extinguishes the flame in the combustion chamber. I hope that doesn't damage anything. Since i only have a screw for adjustment, ill have to wait until tomorrow to contact the vendor and figure out how to adjust it back to ~10PSI. Since lowering the boost onset isn't the answer, is it possible i need a larger nozzle to achieve full benefits?
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

i run a sc car...dont think it makes a differance... but 3gph seems small. with my lsj and tvs i have a 5gph on, and getting ready to try a 7gph... not sure if this is your problem at all but maybe might lead to other gains?

just trying to help lol still learning all myself

also.. possible try a greater water mix... maybe 50.50, which is also said to help iat2 numbers...

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you for the suggestions. I guess my issue is more that the charge IS cooler, i can feel that the pipe is acutally quite cold. However the tmap is not getting it.

So will a greater percentage of water lead to lower IAT2 actual readings?

Check out the log, where IAT2s are only about five degrees below ambient, but like said the charge pipe reminds me of a cold beer
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

Tuner
    A higher water mixture will help with iat's. A higher methanol mixture will yield more octane, so more timing.

I haven't noticed a significant change in my iat's in my Cavalier, but the octane difference is definitely there.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Jedi View Post
    A higher water mixture will help with iat's. A higher methanol mixture will yield more octane, so more timing.

I haven't noticed a significant change in my iat's in my Cavalier, but the octane difference is definitely there.
    Are you injecting before the iat sensor? Its just weird that the pipe itself gets that cold, but the sensor isnt seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions. I guess my issue is more that the charge IS cooler, i can feel that the pipe is acutally quite cold. However the tmap is not getting it.

So will a greater percentage of water lead to lower IAT2 actual readings?

Check out the log, where IAT2s are only about five degrees below ambient, but like said the charge pipe reminds me of a cold beer
    i wish i could help more... my water to air setup will never show 5 degrees below ambiant lol much more heat... but with my experience while spraying meth it keeps the iat2 down... but with below ambiant numbers... not to sure... sorry for not much help but good luck

Tuner
    Question, what sort of temps were you getting before you added injection?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EaglePerformance View Post
    Question, what sort of temps were you getting before you added injection?
    on an 80* day I was seeing as high as 95 or so during WOT pulls.

Like I said, the pipe feels very cold, much colder than 75*

Tuner
    Do you have an infrared gun, just to see exactly what the temp is? It would seem to me that the sensor should react immediately, I don't know how quickly they react.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EaglePerformance View Post
    Do you have an infrared gun, just to see exactly what the temp is? It would seem to me that the sensor should react immediately, I don't know how quickly they react.
    Lol no i do not have an infrared gun. I agree that the sensor should react quickly, but it does not seem to be. Unless I really do need a larger nozzle?