Thread: ECM for an Ecotec 2.2

ECM for an Ecotec 2.2

Hi folks.

Need your help please: My cousin does engine swaps. We've been very successful with LT1's and L98's and now it is time for an Ecotec. The car is a Triumph TR4. The engine is a 2007 Ecotec 2.2 from a Cobalt. The engine was bought without a gearbox, however it was bought with the 2 prong ECM and engine harness.

A bellhousing has been sourced and a Tremec T5 has been hooked up to it. In other words the engine has been converted to RWD. We have ran into some issues with the ECM and I am hoping you all could give me some info. We have a full collection of GM manuals and we have been able to conclude the 3 prong ECM is the way to go.

Questions please:

1) Is it true that ANY 3 prong ECM will run the Ecotec? I have been told the LSx ECM's will run an ECOTEC. Ditto for the ECM powering late model Impalas. Is this a true statement? In other words, will the V8 or V6 ECM's also run the 4 cylinder ECOTEC?

2) I realize the wiring harness has to be modified. No problems there - we have factory manuals with all the pin-out's. Suppose we figure out the wiring harness, what ECM will run this engine?

3) I will be buying a copy of HPT. I just want to make sure I have the right ECM that will interface with HPT and also be able to run the 2.2 ECOTEC.

Folks, any information would be highly appreciated. The engine is mounted and installed. I have many more questions and was hoping somebody here might be willing to help me with this.

regards,
    joe

I wanted to also show you what the current setup looks like. The engine is mounted in a 64 TR4. Here is what it looks like:

The aluminum frame you see is the backside of the custom aluminum hood that has been made for this car. The idea is to make it as light as possible.

Well, any help would be highly appreciated.

thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    nice looking project! unfortunately HPT does NOT support 2.2 ecotec cobalt ECM. Your options are to get an ECM from a 2002-2005 Jbody (cavalier/sunfire ecotec) if your set on HPT, or a custom option like you described above.

I would say if the car is a "just for fun" swap, grab the jbody ECM. If you're going for big power (say in the 400+ range), get something else like megasquirt or spectre EMS. I'm interested in this theory of an LSx ECM running the eco...
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
    Your options are to get an ECM from a 2002-2005 Jbody (cavalier/sunfire ecotec) if your set on HPT, or a custom option like you described above.

I would say if the car is a "just for fun" swap, grab the jbody ECM. If you're going for big power (say in the 400+ range), get something else like megasquirt or spectre EMS. I'm interested in this theory of an LSx ECM running the eco...
    The Jbody sounds like the plan. My cousin has been told the LSx ECM will run the Ecotec. For the life of me I don't understand how a V8 ECM could run the 4 cylinder Ecotec - that is why I was asking. Maybe someone knows.

I think the 400hp would be nice (hell yeah!) but a more conservative figure would be much more appropriate. Thanks for the info.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the*informative*posts.