Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car going pig rich on nitrous

Tuner

Car going pig rich on nitrous

Got a question for you all and im trying to figure out if its my tune or not. I tuned it SD. I am running a 125 shot when I launch the car & halfway through 1st gear my a/f is around ~11.8-11.9. Once the car gets into 2nd gear it goes pig rich 10.7-10.8. On motor my tune is perfect 12.6-12.7 through the rpm's and up top around 12.9. Part of me wants to think the wideband is off (I recalibrated it) but its showing to read right when its not on the bottle. Also there was never a problem with the a/f on nitrous up untill a couple weeks ago like somthing changed the car. I mix some 116 in with pump gas for extra insurance. I have changed the fueling accordingly for w/ running the good gas in there. I'm out of ideas to look for. Any clues?
    Last edited by Silver2002ta; 06-15-2009 at 06:17 AM.
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am - 1000+ rwhp street car

post your tune file
    Free HP Tuners Beginners Tuning Guide

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

1969 Firebird: 11.67@114 [email protected] 1/8 1.70 60 ft. EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me

Tuner in Training
    do you always log ur nitrous runs with the wideband. Do u have previous logs. Im wondering if this is normal since a wet kit always runs fat specially during the lower rpm gear shift when the engine is not utilizing as much fuel.

Tuner
    Here is a log where it is crazy rich on spray. Part of me wonders if the wideband is jacked. I watch it while I am racing and never see some of the #'s it shows datalogging like the 18.9 afr otherwise id get out of it. I also have a ton of timing out for safety. And also remember at one point in time not too long ago the afr's on spray were all in the mid to high 11's up top but somthing made it start going fat up top and I am not sure what. Thanks

Senior Tuner
    Ve table needs some smoothing down low. I say its all in your nitrous fuel. Jet down.
    Last edited by Cantalope Kid; 06-14-2009 at 06:34 PM.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

I am also SD open loop. I run my VE table the same for each row 95 thru 105 KPA. I also always want my VE - AFR error to read -9 so u might not be super rich. Thanks Mike (WS6FirebirdTA00) for that one! Need to make me a new histogram so its will be 0s for 12.0 AFR. Its not going to be zero's because that would be the PE command # u had without bottle. I try to get about 11.8 to 12.2 with the hose. Looks like in ur histogram u are alittle lean in some area's like I think u had some -2s. Of coarse this is if ur wideband is spot on.

I would make sure ur jets are picked correctly. Might even check to see if filter is stopped up on NOS side. I have had that happen once myself. Looks like u are logging to many pids I would lower them & u should get more frames per sec.
    Last edited by Dragman; 06-16-2009 at 04:16 PM.

Fastest A4 Coupe Bolt On's
    11.33 @ 119.84 mph OLSD Tune

Tuning done by www.GearsAreUs.com

Another question does AFR wideband match what HP Tuner scanner says??

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I am also SD open loop. I run my VE table the same for each row 95 thru 105 KPA. I also always want my VE - AFR error to read -9 so u might not be super rich. Thanks Mike (WS6FirebirdTA00) for that one! Need to make me a new histogram so its will be 0s for 12.0 AFR. Its not going to be zero's because that would be the PE command # u had without bottle. I try to get about 11.8 to 12.2 with the hose. Looks like in ur histogram u are alittle lean in some area's like I think u had some -2s. Of coarse this is if ur wideband is spot on.

I would make sure my jets are picked correctly. Might even check to see if filter is stopped up on NOS side. I have had that happen once myself. Looks like u are logging to many pids I would lower them & u should get more frames per sec.
    You know a friend mentioned this also said somthing might be going on with the solenoid like debris or somthing. Heres another thought I am trying to keep the car safe as possible I have a TR8 in there. I did go from 7's to 8's is it possible the plug is too cold? The guy that is doing my jetting is a long time friend of mine that works at Nano Nitrous if any of you have heard about them. Their business is about 10 mins from me. He did my jetting for 75/100/125 and the afr was all where it needed to be untill just not too long ago. I will check this solenoid out
    Last edited by Silver2002ta; 06-15-2009 at 05:47 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Another question does AFR wideband match what HP Tuner scanner says??
    Yes. But when I am watching it I never see the ones that say like 18+ afr otherwise i'd kill it. I dont know if its false or what I think in that log it only had that count once. I'm just confused how the afr is where I want it through 1st gear then just goes rich rest of the way

Quote Originally Posted by Silver2002ta View Post
    Yes. But when I am watching it I never see the ones that say like 18+ afr otherwise i'd kill it. I dont know if its false or what I think in that log it only had that count once. I'm just confused how the afr is where I want it through 1st gear then just goes rich rest of the way
    I would think the 18 AFR is either false or a spike in data as it is only 1 frame count. Would guess u need to tune VE closer on NOS maybe because u change to higher octane fuel.

U can PM me we can talk or compare notes!

Did u get to try out car yet??

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver2002ta View Post
    You know a friend mentioned this also said somthing might be going on with the solenoid like debris or somthing. Heres another thought I am trying to keep the car safe as possible I have a TR8 in there. I did go from 7's to 8's is it possible the plug is too cold? The guy that is doing my jetting is a long time friend of mine that works at Nano Nitrous if any of you have heard about them. Their business is about 10 mins from me. He did my jetting for 75/100/125 and the afr was all where it needed to be untill just not too long ago. I will check this solenoid out

Your plugs will not cause this. I would check out your system 1st. BTW I would get those projected tip plugs out of there for nitrous

what was your bottle pressure befor and after the runs?

Last edited by gold98Z28; 06-19-2009 at 01:55 AM.
    98 Z28m6,ramVDS,lakewood LCA,sphon SFC,NOS 125shot,HPtuned LQ4.045milled heads,224/228 581/588 comp cam,fast toys lid,ported 85maf,ls6 intake,long tubes with custom exhaust

Senior Tuner
    I recommend TR6's. My shop recommends TR6's for an entry level shot like yours (i.e. +125hp). TR8's are overkill in my opinion.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Cell 210-954-4985

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

TR6's are a step colder, but they're still a projected tip plug---not a very good idea with nitrous. Just because lots of people run them on smaller shots doesn't make it right. Nothing wrong with a -8 plug in this app, they'll just foul quicker. No such thing as "too cold" of a plug with nitrous.

OP: Gold98 asked a good question, what are your bottle pressures before/after the run? Most importantly, have you pulled any plugs after a run? Your plugs are going to tell you a more accurate story than your wideband. Pull a few and see what the fuel ring looks like, I'm betting you need to jet down a bit on the fuel side. Also if you don't already have a nitrous filter, get one.
    Last edited by jmm98LS1; 06-19-2009 at 10:42 AM.
    '98 Z28 M6: 370ci | twin 6165 | E85

I also use TR6s with no issues. Sure is alot of LS1 car's using them with nos.

Advanced Tuner
    if you are running a 125 shot only then I would get TR6 plugs,you are running way to cold a plug for that shot.
    The lean spike is when the nitrous hit,there are tables in the PCM to get rid of that lean spike on the initial hit!!

Senior Tuner
    Tr-6 is "THE" plug of choice over on Ls1tech.com nitrous section. Not sure why it was over looked or shunned in this instance. Figure their (Threads: 986,921, Posts: 10,464,410, Members: 149,669) could be wrong?
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Cell 210-954-4985

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by vortec View Post
    if you are running a 125 shot only then I would get TR6 plugs,you are running way to cold a plug for that shot.
    The lean spike is when the nitrous hit,there are tables in the PCM to get rid of that lean spike on the initial hit!!
    Could be spike if that when he hit the jug but real hard to get a real handle on what happen when he is only getting 4 to 5 frames per sec. If it is spiking like that he better get a longer NOS line or shorter fuel lines. I agree with TR8s being to cold. He needs to make some adjustments and see if wideband is correct. Then give some more feedback.

I sent him some changes to make to VE table now he said has a Rocket Ship!