This is my first posting here so forgive newbie mistakes... I have a 98 dodge diesel and I have the basic blueprint for communicationg with a elmscan interface. what I need to know is does the diesel unit have two engine control computer. every refrence I have point to a pcm and a ecm.

1- is it possible to read codes from the ecm thru the pcm or do I have to connect directly to the ecm .

2- I am having problems with the transmission computer in this unit also. it has a tendency to get a little flaky around lockup time. I have installed an after market lock up controller to save the transmission. can I hook up to this computer and reprogram the transmission computer from the diagnostic connector or do I have to pull the chip and download it, crack it and the reprogram it and replace it.

3- anyone know of any good and cheap or free refrence material on programming iso computer. I am just getting back into build and programming rom, ram and the such... Also who has the best cracking program and burns these day... it been 8 years since I burnt a chip

Thank you for all and any pending help
???