Thread: Will Altitude Effect My Tune?

Question Will Altitude Effect My Tune?

I just moved from Colorado Springs to Kentucky where the altitude is 6000 FT above sea level in Colorado. When I start the car, it hunts idle for about 8-10 seconds and then it idles correctly. Cold start is fine its just the warm starts. I thought the MAF should adjust for the altitude change. Maybe I need to put some miles on it so the PCM can relearn the new altitude. Any inputs from the tuning pros would be greatful. Its on the 2000 Trans Am.
    2000 Trans Am WS6, 383 RWHP 344 RWTQ
    2006 GTO, LS2, Cyclone Gray, M6, 1 of 475
    2009 Chevy Silverado

Yes it will change it, I'd retune personally. The differences are pretty significant from CO to KY. I know a guy with a supercharged 4cyl whom is able to run 42# injectors with a 2.8 pulley because of living in CO when others would be more than maxing their injectors.
    I take it that you're N/A. Which means you have some more power to unlock now that you're lower. Might as well do it if you can.
    Last edited by daythecountrydied21; 06-10-2009 at 08:14 AM.

Senior Tuner
    If you have a custom tune and running Hybrid (Maf/VE) as from the factory your VE table should have been adjusted by the previous tuner for that altitude. You will need to verify the VE table is correct. Realize also that your STFT's/LTFT's will make corrections if you don't to get things where they need to be efficient on their own to a point.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ws6ick View Post
    ...it hunts idle for about 8-10 seconds and then it idles correctly.
    Since I know my tune runs Open Loop for the frist 10 seconds after start up I would suspect yours is similiar. If it is off while in open loop that could indicate that the MAF/VE are off. Like the others have said, take some time and dial it back in.

You should see a noticable difference in power at the lower attitude. I saw my truck running -20% fuel trims while in the 8,000' range compared to Michigan.
    07 Avalanche Exhaust & CAI

Try increasing the base running airflow table by 5% in the warm ECT spots and increasing the startup and friction airflow tables by 5% as well and see if it helps your warm starts. You may try another 5% if it starts getting you where you want to be on warm starts.
    From 6000ft to sea level is the equivalent of adding 2.9psi boost. It's .03388 bar or 1" mercury for each 1000ft elevation. Increasing pressure toward sea level and decreasing pressure when going up in elevation. (inversely proportional).
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Quote Originally Posted by blownbluez06 View Post
    Try increasing the base running airflow table by 5% in the warm ECT spots and increasing the startup and friction airflow tables by 5% as well and see if it helps your warm starts. You may try another 5% if it starts getting you where you want to be on warm starts.
    From 6000ft to sea level is the equivalent of adding 2.9psi boost. It's .03388 bar or 1" mercury for each 1000ft elevation. Increasing pressure toward sea level and decreasing pressure when going up in elevation. (inversely proportional).
    Ok, I will try this. I'm brain farting now, how do I add 5% to these tables?
    Last edited by ws6ick; 06-10-2009 at 12:04 PM.
    2009 Chevy Silverado

highlight the areas you want to increase by 5% and go to the top, enter a value of 1.05 and hit the X
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Thanks. I just did a scan from cold idle to operating temp. I then turned the car off and re-started. Here is the scan.
    2009 Chevy Silverado

Senior Tuner
    Look, it's this simple (and Cantalope Kid already stated such):

If you have a PROPERLY built MAF table, and you have the PROPER injector values inputted (ALL of them, not just the IFR table), all you need to do is properly adjust your VE table, then all of your fueling falls into place 100%. Provided your spark tables were generated correctly and not raped with blocks of the same amount of spark at all the various airflow points, then spark will, too, fall into place properly.

If all the above was done correctly, you may only need to work on the Idle parameters, if even (provided they were properly tuned in previously). Naturally, a check on everything else is always recommended, as this isn't a "perfect" world.

So the question we have for you is:

1: Was the tune actually built with proper MAF tuning?
    2: Was the VE table actually tuned in correctly previously?
    3: Was the PE table raped?
    4: Were the spark tables generated properly for the various airflows?

All in all, this is why I feel it is important to tune a vehicle at sea level, and then you'll pretty much bet set in the future.
    Last edited by RWTD; 06-10-2009 at 12:39 PM.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    Look, it's this simple (and Cantalope Kid already stated such):

If you have a PROPERLY built MAF table, and you have the PROPER injector values inputted (ALL of them, not just the IFR table), all you need to do is properly adjust your VE table, then all of your fueling falls into place 100%. Provided your spark tables were generated correctly and not raped with blocks of the same amount of spark at all the various airflow points, then spark will, too, fall into place properly.

If all the above was done correctly, you may only need to work on the Idle parameters, if even (provided they were properly tuned in previously). Naturally, a check on everything else is always recommended, as this isn't a "perfect" world.

So the question we have for you is:

1: Was the tune actually built with proper MAF tuning?
    2: Was the VE table actually tuned in correctly previously?
    3: Was the PE table raped?
    4: Were the spark tables generated properly for the various airflows?

All in all, this is why I feel it is important to tune a vehicle at sea level, and then you'll pretty much bet set in the future.
    Not sure on all your questions. It was professionally tuned by a tuning shop in Colorado. It ran fine there until I moved to Kentucky.
    2009 Chevy Silverado

Senior Tuner
    FYI, I spend a LOT of time in Colo Sprgs for pleasure, so if you're ever back up this way shoot me a PM and we'll meet up, grab a beer, and shoot da sh!t about our cars. I can even help you, as needed.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    FYI, I spend a LOT of time in Colo Sprgs for pleasure, so if you're ever back up this way shoot me a PM and we'll meet up, grab a beer, and shoot da sh!t about our cars. I can even help you, as needed.
    That offer is like a sore peeter. Ya can't beat it!

I've been down to KY a few times, changed nothing on the tune, runs about one second quicker. The car has much more vacuum at idle down there, so fuel pressure regulation is affected.

If you are tuned for max performance at high altitude, for example if it's boosted as much as the engine can stand, you may have to detune it at sea level.
    1999 GLS MP90 supercharged / 2003 GL MP62 supercharged / 2004 GLS stock
    Magnuson MP90 / TOG's / 3 in. Magnaflow exhaust / MSD ignition / LS1 MAF / Racetronix pump / HP Tuners / TCE 68mm TB / 36 lb Inj
    = Best track time: 12.951 @ 104.48, 1.839 60 ft. (Beech Bend Raceway Park, 11-23-13), 50 Deg. F
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk