Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speed density questions..misfire and low /high octane table

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Being a professional doesn't make me privy to anything that you don't get though. I still have had to figure most all of it out on my own by doing it. But as you pointed out by comparing it to your Talon and it's board, most people here want to be spoon fed. They don't want to actually learn to tune the car, they just want some magical drop in numbers that do the work for them (even when they don't exist or would be unique to their setup). That's actually not even really directed at you, it's more the user base on a whole here. Guys buy this because they can't or don't want to spend the money on pro tuning but they don't respect the learning curve or the process of experimentation. Getting the software IS the easy part, then you have to learn how to use it for your application.

I agree that is why I ask what tables I need to correct when I ask the majority of my questions. I still get asked to post my tune. I want learn and the easiest way is to tell me what tables to modify. I figure if I screw it up to bad I can load the old tune and start again. If there is a histogram to simplify things I want to know. I think if someone took the time to dumb down the explanations when your looking at a parameter on the software. Then explained what adding or removing does, a lot of questions would disappear.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Being a professional doesn't make me privy to anything that you don't get though. I still have had to figure most all of it out on my own by doing it. But as you pointed out by comparing it to your Talon and it's board, most people here want to be spoon fed. They don't want to actually learn to tune the car, they just want some magical drop in numbers that do the work for them (even when they don't exist or would be unique to their setup). That's actually not even really directed at you, it's more the user base on a whole here. Guys buy this because they can't or don't want to spend the money on pro tuning but they don't respect the learning curve or the process of experimentation. Getting the software IS the easy part, then you have to learn how to use it for your application.
    Mail order tunes are good for someone that wants #'s and they should pay for that - I do. What this forum does for me is provide hints to what tables, enablers do and help me to learn how to make my own #'s. If there was concise, full info on all the tables, I would gladly buy it instead of so much flogging my stuff to see what a change in a certain table may do. I hope you know that hints from you, Dave, Doug, RWTD, etc are much appreciated by me and I expect many others.

Quote Originally Posted by keith42 View Post
    I have a question regarding misfires and the O2's spiking downward. Is it considered normal for a cammed car 224/230 581/581 to have some misfires? Or is it a ignition issue?

My car see's a few of those types of events and I haven't worried about it but I want to verify that it's normal.
    Those are real misfires when you see a spike in a narrowband, and you have narrowed it down to which side of the engine it's happening on. It's not normal. This is assuming you aren't confusing regular closed loop oscillation.

A good way to see misfires in a tuned car is to put it in OL and command about 13.6-13.8 in the OLFA. You will get NBO2 voltage that will stay high full time. The low spikes caused by a misfire will stick out like a sore thumb.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

I think it might be from gapping my plugs to eliminate spark blow out, I have them gapped down to .022, I don't see it once the car is warmed up.
    Last edited by keith42; 10-27-2010 at 12:06 AM.