Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed density questions..misfire and low /high octane table

Speed density questions..misfire and low /high octane table

Is it true that the ecu will use the low octane table automatically in speed density ? So I should copy my high octane over then?
    Also is there anyway to see misfires on 3 bar tune. Can this be added back in the future or does it depend on the maf? I really like having misfire detection.
    99 TAWS6 ERL 427 superdeck,AFR 225, LS9 cam, 1.7 yella terras, fluiddampr, fast 90/90,APS Twin turbos LG upgraded turbos,cutout.80 pound injectors, RPM 4l80e ,yank py3400, dana 60, lonnies dual pump fuel system,zex direct port,ron davis rad,ais alc injection
    interceptor guages, eboost 2.

Other toys 91 race talon turbo awd, 97 talon awd turbo, 2008 Z06

Yes. In a MAF failure in a stock OS, the low octane is used in SD. With the upgraded OS, no it is not.

You should post your tune for a check on the 3 bar misfire issue. Please stop making duplicate posts about this or they will be deleted. If you believe there is a bug, email support with your file.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Ok fine nice clear answer. The low octane is not used with the upgraded operating system so don't have to copy over my high octane like some guys are saying.

So you obviously know your stuff so why do you need to see my tune. Either misfires work with 3 bar or they don't? Does anyone actually have misfires working with the 3bar?If they do will be happy to send my tune so can see what possibly I could do different.

I am old guy not very good at some of this computer stuff.Tune is in my laptop. I don't have net on my laptop. So would need to get it into my pc to send it the forum.

Maybe can pick up a flash drive thing and do it that way. Still if noone has misfire working with the 3 bar then it must be the way it is I guess and then my question is can it be made to work somehow in the future.

Why do most of you guys on the is board sidestep answering questions directly. I paid pretty good bucks for my hptuners and while not a pro tuner for a living thought this forum was here for support and help not nose in the air attitudes because the pro tuners don't want to share their secrets with mere earthlings.

Who here has misfire working with their speed density tunes. Or do you just think its working when you see zero on every cylinder all the time?
    If one person has it working properly on their 3 bar tune than it must be something maybe I have done in my tune. If noone does then of course its nothing I or anyone else except maybe one of you guys that do the hptuner program can do.

I can live without misfire detection. Don't like it but can live with it. Just tell me the straight answer it works with 3 bar or it don't.
    99 TAWS6 ERL 427 superdeck,AFR 225, LS9 cam, 1.7 yella terras, fluiddampr, fast 90/90,APS Twin turbos LG upgraded turbos,cutout.80 pound injectors, RPM 4l80e ,yank py3400, dana 60, lonnies dual pump fuel system,zex direct port,ron davis rad,ais alc injection

Sorry, but I can only respond to one item on this and it's not your misfire question.

Regardless of what you spent on your HPtuners software, I feel it is necessary point out that HPtuners spent the time and money to create the ability for us to tweak our PCM's as well as set this forum up for us, but assume no true responsibility for actually teaching you/us to tune. That responsibility is all yours. All but a few of us in here are enthusiasts and in this forum to share and help, but not for $$. That includes the moderators.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Quote Originally Posted by blownbluez06 View Post
    Sorry, but I can only respond to one item on this and it's not your misfire question.

Regardless of what you spent on your HPtuners software, I feel it is necessary point out that HPtuners spent the time and money to create the ability for us to tweak our PCM's as well as set this forum up for us, but assume no true responsibility for actually teaching you/us to tune. That responsibility is all yours. All but a few of us in here are enthusiasts and in this forum to share and help, but not for $$. That includes the moderators.
    What kind of answer is that?

I will repeat this one more time . Does 3 bar hptuners operating system support misfire detection or not?

Surely someone on this board knows the answer to that. If it does then be happy to send my tune so can figure out why I can't get any misfire detection.
    If it don't support misfire detection than just SAY SO ALREADY! And I will deal with it.

And forums are setup for support for a product and when the product is a tuning product that would mean help in TUNING. If hptuners is trying to just have this for their protuners then they should say so and restrict the forum to protuners.

So far this forum has been almost zero help. No one shares any of the important info. Just says well buy this book or buy this course. People that spent the money on hptuners should get good full support on here. The pro tuners should be able to make lots of money tuning guys cars that don't have hptuners or have a clue at all how to tune. I have tuned lots of different cars purely for my own purposes and I can say that hptuners is not very user friendly. And either are these forums.

I can not remember how the calculations for misfires go or how going SD effects it. If you posted the tune, it may help determine if there is a setting that is off or if it all looks good and may be a thing with SD or 3 bar.

Not avoiding the questions. You asked why your misfires don't work, said to post a tune so we can review it. Simple. If there are questions about why something is or is not doing something, first thing people ask to see is the tune. The forum support is not what you paid for, it is a free-bee for the tuning community to ask and answer questions.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00 View Post
    I can not remember how the calculations for misfires go or how going SD effects it. If you posted the tune, it may help determine if there is a setting that is off or if it all looks good and may be a thing with SD or 3 bar.

Not avoiding the questions. You asked why your misfires don't work, said to post a tune so we can review it. Simple. If there are questions about why something is or is not doing something, first thing people ask to see is the tune. The forum support is not what you paid for, it is a free-bee for the tuning community to ask and answer questions.
    More dodging.
    Have you tuned 3bar speed density?. Or 2 bar heck even 1bar sd? Is your car running speed density.? Does misfire detection work in your car if you are running sd.Can't see 1bar or 2 bar or 3bar mattering much.
    Did misfire detection work properly in any of those vehicles? YES OR NO?

If yes be happy to send a tune.Have to get flash drive I guess and figure out how to send it.But will do it if just one person has misfire working properly with speed density.

Quote Originally Posted by ALB View Post
    What kind of answer is that?

And forums are setup for support for a product and when the product is a tuning product that would mean help in TUNING. If hptuners is trying to just have this for their protuners then they should say so and restrict the forum to protuners.

People that spent the money on hptuners should get good full support on here. The pro tuners should be able to make lots of money tuning guys cars that don't have hptuners or have a clue at all how to tune. I have tuned lots of different cars purely for my own purposes and I can say that hptuners is not very user friendly. And either are these forums.
    And still you walk in the door with a sense of entitlement. You're not getting it are you? You are entitled to absolutely nothing. Anything you receive in this forum is a gift, not owed to you, but freely given.
    Good luck.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Senior Tuner
    Just so you know your Hp Tuners $'s don't include "how to tune your car" support. If you remember your tuning software barely came with any instructions and you literally had to read for hours to find anything worth while. That right there should have told you that you where going to have to learn a little on your own to get started. Volunteers are here on their own time helping you out. Volunteers = All supporting message boards member. If they don't know the answer directly to your question and you can't wait for the answer from someone else (i.e. [email protected])then I suggest you play along and do as you where asked.
    Last edited by Cantalope Kid; 06-10-2009 at 01:06 PM.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Umm, I'm going to take a wild guess, I think the answer is no. Maf must be enabled in order to see misfires.
    " '01 SS "

Misfire detection works fine in the SD OS's; just like OEM. If you are actually looking to get support on the forum, not being short with people trying to help would be a good start. You were asked to post your tune so that we could see if you had something setup improperly.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Misfire detection works fine in the SD OS's; just like OEM. If you are actually looking to get support on the forum, not being short with people trying to help would be a good start. You were asked to post your tune so that we could see if you had something setup improperly.
    Hmm ok did get short on here but have some problems and would like some simple direct answers to my questions and other people on the forums that have talked to in pms also agree that a lot of time the pro tuners like yourself dont want to share info.
    People that don't have hptuners will go to tuners. People that have it already shouldn't need too or why did they buy it in the first place.I have other cars like my talons. The tuning forums for them are very end user friendly and questions are directly answered. I can dial in 95 pound injectors or 160 pound injectors in 5 minutes on my talon and have them idle perfectly, not be rich on decel either. Still haven't got any settings for my current 60 pounders on here. And Gregs dvd is postponed till august now? I have to deal with rich decel but did get my idle a bit leaner now.Trial and error mostly.

You say misfire works in speed density Frost. You are smart guy have talked and bought stuff from you like my harness for my 4l80 swap.
    So what is the trick to get it to work then? I didn't turn anything off in my tune. I can only get it to work by putting my maf on the car again and unfailing it. Not sure can drive the car at higher speeds just tried this at idle and revving in neutral and it worked but had 3 bar maf and sd OS still in there.
    I have heard by several people that the SD OS turns off misfire.If you can make it work again that would be great.I love misfire detection very very handy thing to have.

I have slightly older tune here for you ignore most of it just look at anything that would turn off misfire detection. So you are saying dont' even need a maf in the car to have it work???
    I just run a tube in its place where my alc injection nozzles will be going.
    As said this tune is a bit old can send newer one shortly. My big problems with my car were burnt up new granatelli 200 dollar plug wires. They shoudl have took the heat but they didn't. So was trying to fix tune when it was the wires. Car runs pretty good now.

Here is the slightly older tune.
    Last edited by ALB; 08-29-2009 at 08:26 AM.

i doubt misfire works in SD mode, it is usually one of the diagnostics that requires all systems to be functioning correctly.
    I count sheep in hex...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    i doubt misfire works in SD mode, it is usually one of the diagnostics that requires all systems to be functioning correctly.
    Huh you are the owner of hptuners .I would think you would have definitive answer for us. It either works in sd or it don't. I can get it to work in sd by unfailing the maf.I checked my misfires at idle and revved to 3000 in neutral but wasn't going to drive it with the maf and 3bar map was I wrong or can you drive the car with maf back enable and 3 bar map in the car instead of 1bar?

And why is Frost a knowledgable guy saying misfire works. I can't seen anywhere to turn misfire on and I for sure don't have it working with my 3 bar sd with no maf on there.

Please post a tune Frost or share your tricks.I posted my tune and misfire ain't working.I think it obviously needs the maf to work for some weird reason. If it don't maybe it can be programmed to work with 3bar or 2bar again.

I'm with ALB, Frost post your tune so we can see if theres something different thats turned on in yours thats not in ours. I see this question asked a lot when ever someone has a problem, but I don't see everyone with the answers posting tunes, they have them for sale.
    " '01 SS "

Senior Tuner
    If misfire detection works, you will see some "rattlings around"
    of misfire counts in the Misfire Current Cylinder (1-8) PIDs if
    you log. I used to see them active even when stock. Zero
    activity would be suspicious and indicate "not active".

More dodging.
    Have you tuned 3bar speed density?. Or 2 bar heck even 1bar sd? Is your car running speed density.? Does misfire detection work in your car if you are running sd.Can't see 1bar or 2 bar or 3bar mattering much.
    Did misfire detection work properly in any of those vehicles? YES OR NO?

If yes be happy to send a tune.Have to get flash drive I guess and figure out how to send it.But will do it if just one person has misfire working properly with speed density.
    Bet u get alot of guys help u with that attitude!

Fastest A4 Coupe Bolt On's
    11.33 @ 119.84 mph OLSD Tune

Tuning done by www.GearsAreUs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Bet u get alot of guys help u with that attitude!
    Well dragman was pretty frustrated trying to get a straight answer. We have lots of people running 3 bar and many knowledgeable tuners on here.
    So really it can't be that hard to say yes or no. I have no misfires showing at all with the tune in they are zero. So you might think its working but just not getting any. Then put maf back on and turned it back on with the 3bar OS in the car and ran it at idle and revving to 3000 in neutral.
    It showed small amounts of misfire. I really wanted to test car under load and boost but was afraid to with the maf on with 3 bar maf.
    It turned out I had two burnt igntion wires but misfire detection for sure would have showed that at load. So no it don't work with maf failed.
    But Frost who seems very knowledgeable is saying it does and I did post my tune. So see what he says as really there is no place that I turned it off i have it set same as previously before the 3 bar sd OS.

I should maybe be brave and do an experiment and see what happens to fueling with the 3 bar sd in and maf turned back on at higher throttle settings. Maybe it still fuels ok who knows I guess if no one has tried it.
    Misfire detection is super handy.

I am sorry about my attitude but its not just this question. I am starting to realize that the pros protect their secrets. Like asked many times now how to simply fix my rich decel with my 60s. And how to get my 60s to run nice. Mosty I get buy the 250 buck dvd from Greg. But hey can't afford to buy the 250 buck dvd and already spend like 600 on this hptuning setup.

I have talon cars. I have laptop tuning for it. The tuning boards for it answer questions directly and simply. I have 95 pound injectors dialed in to perfection and in minutes.

Maybe there needs to be two forums. One locked to pro tuners and one for people that are willing to share info and give straightforward direct answers and I know I am not the only one that feels this way about this forum.
    Many have pmed me to say the same thing.

People that don't have hptuners need to pay the tuners. People with it shouldn't have to pay the tuners they should be given enough help on the forum to tune their own cars. Otherwise seems I wasted my 600 bucks.

But have gotten some things figured out with lots of searching. Even the pros drop a few nuggets of wisdom here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    For the OP,

I would always listen to what comes down from Chris...

Though I could *SWEAR* I have seen misfires in SD cars (as far as the reporting).

At any rate, your NB O2s are usually a much better indicator. Each individual misfire will spike the corresponding side's O2s low. If the car is in OL, use an AFR like 13.0-14.2 so that the NBs will read high. Each misfire will show as a quick spike down.

If you want to know for sure, log misfires per cyl and see what you are getting. You can even pull an injector plug and see what the result is.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Ok so thats that Frost was mistaken. So I can monitor them at idle and revving in neutral at least by switching on the maf again but would it be bad idea to try to actually drive the car with the 3 bar and maf working.. I think some guys have driven around with the maf on because they didn't fail it so would the car drive horrible and possibly hurt things by going way lean or something really bad?

Other option I guess is to put 1bar map on and maf back on and check that way ,so to do that would I just flash that tune back in or have to do write entire on it and then write entire to put the three bar back in . A bit of pain but doable I guess. Frost your looking at the narrowbands might work too just like to actually see the misfires just love that feature thru the years . Saved a ton of detective work in the past .