Thread: How lean to make stock LS4 with Amsoil airfilter

Tuner in Training

How lean to make stock LS4 with Amsoil airfilter

HOw lean / rich should i make the tune of a stock LS4 with Amsoil airfilter

What is the air fuel ratio i would shoot for?

newbie with hp tuners

Advanced Tuner
    There Wont Be Much Of A Change.

The Ve Map Is Usually Really Close, Usually The Pe Map Is The Only Thing That Needs To Be Tweaked And You Either Need A Dyno Or A Wideband To Tune That.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mspeterso View Post
    HOw lean / rich should i make the tune of a stock LS4 with Amsoil airfilter

What is the air fuel ratio i would shoot for?

newbie with hp tuners
    Most NA LS series motors make good power without being dangerous at 12.7-13.0 A/F. Like he said you need a wide band A/F meter to check your current actual A/F vs you commanded A/F if those numbers are the same it means your MAF and Ve tables are spot on, and if not you might need to retune your MAF or VE tables. What kind of intake is it? Or is it just a drop in filter?
    Last edited by Terminator2; 06-08-2009 at 02:22 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Doesn't matter what CAI or filter you use, the AFR stays the same for whatever previous setup you had. Like the guys above said, you have to tune in your MAF transfer and/or VE so that Commanded fueling becomes Actual. Do NOT rape the PE table to obtain Desired. Instead, set it to what you want it to Command, and then dial in the MAF and/or VE until you get there.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Tuner in Training

Would tuning the MAF table be necessary

I was running very lean. 15+17 ltft

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mspeterso View Post
    I was running very lean. 15+17 ltft
    Yes. That is way lean almost to the point of throwing a lean code +20 will set a CEL lean bank 1 or bank 2. Either Your MAF needs some major work or you have a vac leak!!!!

Advanced Tuner
    You will make more horses "way rich" than "way lean" on that engine. I had one - and that was my experience. If you dont have a wideband set it to 12.3 to 12.4 across the band and make sure you always see O2 sensor values in the 890+ values. Anything less is BAD!!!

If you do have a wideband, set PE to 12.5 (to maybe 12.6) past 3000 rpm and tune it to match. You can do leaner under 3k rpm for the purposes of helping it not smoke the tires, but no leaner than 13.0 imo. Better to just set 12.5 across the board and use torque management under 3k rpm to keep those front tires from becoming toast.

I had my MAF sensor de-screened on my otherwise-stock LS4 powered Monte SS - I briefly thought I'd attach the last tune I ran on it - but my stoich setting is 14.1, NOT 14.7 - so my PE setting will be deceivingly lean when they arent - and that's going to confuse at this point.
    Last edited by LazMan; 06-08-2009 at 07:59 PM.