Thread: MAF or VE first

Tuner in Training

MAF or VE first

my idle on my wide band bounces from 14.0 to 16.3 to fix my afr i have to dial in my maf or ve table?
    2007 cobalt ss sc
    2.8 on 42lb injectors

when it hits high 15's to 16 on afr it starts pinging
    i just installed wideband gauge and i have standard so i can log on computer
    i can just watch and try to get it as close as possible

any help will greatly thanked

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltz51r View Post
    my idle on my wide band bounces from 14.0 to 16.3 to fix my afr i have to dial in my maf or ve table?
    2007 cobalt ss sc
    2.8 on 42lb injectors

when it hits high 15's to 16 on afr it starts pinging
    i just installed wideband gauge and i have standard so i can log on computer
    i can just watch and try to get it as close as possible

any help will greatly thanked
    You need to log your LTFT and STFT. You will most likely have to fix both your MAF and VE tables to fix the issue. Your MAF could be telling the ECM that is is receiving less air than it really is and that will cause the A/f to be lean. Also, if you have modded your exhaust and intake you have also changed the VE of the motor and as such your VE tables need to reflect this change.
    Last edited by Terminator2; 06-07-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
    You need to log your LTFT and STFT. You will most likely have to fix both your MAF and VE tables to fix the issue. Your MAF could be telling the ECM that is is receiving less air than it really is and that will cause the A/f to be lean. Also, if you have modded your exhaust and intake you have also changed the VE of the motor and as such your VE tables need to reflect this change.
    so how do i do that i know i multiply but the higher the maf freq. the more air i am telling it i have

Advanced Tuner
    so how do i do that i know i multiply but the higher the maf freq. the more air i am telling it i have
    You need a idle and driving log of your LTFT and STFT. If you have one you can show me I can help you more.

Tuner in Training
    this is a log of my new injectors

Advanced Tuner
    this is a log of my new injectors
    For some reason my LTFT histogram will not work with you log maybe it is because I have the beta version. What are your LTFTS in that log? If they are very positive like +20% that means your MAF calibration table needs to be multiplied by 1.20. If they are negative 20% than you would multiply by 0.80 to fix the LTFTs. If you STFTs are still messed up after that and your LTFTs are zero then that means you VE tables need to be tweaked.
    Last edited by Terminator2; 06-09-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
    ...If you STFTs are still messed up after that and your LTFTs are zero then that means you VE tables need to be tweaked.

You lost me there. How do you figure?
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

It's generally tuners preference.
    Personally, I tune the low end of the VE with trims first, then move on to the MAF by AFR. When that is done, I'll go back to the VE, and work it up to the dynamic airflow setting, via AFR.

Over time you'll eventually find the sequence that best suits you.

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    You lost me there. How do you figure?
    I didn't understand it either.
    Tyler

Tuner in Training
    my ltft is up around -18 to -13 in 90% of the histo and in few choice spots its up arount +16

STFT is the exaxt same thing give or take +-3

my ltft is up around -18 to -13 in 90% of the histo and in few choice spots its up arount +16

STFT is the exaxt same thing give or take +-3
    Post a copy of your tune... it will help us get a better feel for what is happening here.
    Tyler