Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Mind Sharing A Tuned A6 File?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    Bumblebee06, I've noticed reported differences that didn't really look different, also. You might try the "Increase Precision" button. Adds more numbers after the decimal. I've seen some differences that only showed up if you looked at 0.01's or 0.001's or beyond.
    Or when in Compare just right click and do a Copy over Differences. This will carry the decimals out correctly.

Good tips, thanks all.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee06 View Post
    Good tips, thanks all.
    i pm'ed u on stl-speed
    https://www.facebook.com/tuningbyshanehinds
    [email protected]
    2009 G8 GT [email protected] 1.60 - Sold
    2008 A6 LS3 C6 Cammed [email protected] 1.44 Sold
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

When you guys perform the "Trans Adapt" and "Trans Fast Adapt" resets, do you notice anything happening? I read in a GM document that during that procedure, you shouldn't be alarmed if the engine changes speed or even stalls. When I click on those buttons, I can't tell that anything has happened at all - aside from the "busy" light on the interface flashing very briefly. (The buttons aren't grayed out, they look just like other buttons that do have obvious effects.) If it is some multi-step procedure going on in there, any idea how long it takes to complete?

I wonder if we don't get the full treatment - no active experimenting and learning going on - just zeroing out previously learned values.

If it matters, I followed these guidelines from the GM document...

Important: Ensure the following conditions are met before performing the Service Fast Learn
    Adapts procedure:
    • Drive wheels are blocked
    • Parking brake is applied
    • Service brake is applied
    • Zero percent throttle and no external engine RPM control
    • Transmission fluid temperature (TFT) is between 70-100°C (158-212°F)
    • Transmission gear selector has been cycled from Park to Reverse 3 times in order to purge
    air from the reverse clutches.

Advanced Tuner
    When you guys perform the "Trans Adapt" and "Trans Fast Adapt" resets, do you notice anything happening? I read in a GM document that during that procedure, you shouldn't be alarmed if the engine changes speed or even stalls. When I click on those buttons, I can't tell that anything has happened at all - aside from the "busy" light on the interface flashing very briefly. (The buttons aren't grayed out, they look just like other buttons that do have obvious effects.) If it is some multi-step procedure going on in there, any idea how long it takes to complete?

I wonder if we don't get the full treatment - no active experimenting and learning going on - just zeroing out previously learned values.

Important: Ensure the following conditions are met before performing the Service Fast Learn
    Adapts procedure:
    • Transmission gear selector has been cycled from Park to Reverse 3 times in order to purge
    Oh yeah! The trans sure gives itself and the engine a work out as it cycles through each clutch at different rpm's. You will know it when you get there.

Looking under VCM controls there seems to be 3 buttons, Trans adapt reset, Trans Adapt preset, and Trans fast adapt reset. I assume the resets just clear the learned values. Is the preset the Trans fast learn adapts or is there another button in the latest betas?
    VE Calais V 6.0L L98 V8 6L80E

Question

Adapts procedure:

I did not follow the procedure with the exception of steps 4 and 5. I noticed nothing happen. Good thing perhaps, I kinda like my garage wall where it is.

What is a "Service Brake"?

Where can I get a copy of the "GM Document"?

So look like we still need an answer on how to get the resets to execute!
    2009 Cyber Gray C6 Coupe, A6, F55 Shocks, Z51 Brakes

Halltech Killer Bee, Comp Springs, Kooks 1.75 Long Tube Headers, Random Technologies Cats, .25" Tunnel Plate, RPM 3.42 Rear, 2600 Stall TC.

Pretty sure "Service Brake" just means brakes. They mean hold your foot on the brake pedal.

Two documents relating to this topic are attached.

I just tried the "Reset" buttons. Maybe "Preset" is the one that gets the party started. ??? I was hesitant to try that. Kind of sounded like I might need to know appropriate values to preload.

LSX378, thanks for the info. Are you doing this through HPTuners - and not through a Tech2 or some other way?

I wonder if you need to: set parking brake, hold the brakes and make sure Trans temp is up there vs. just pressing the button...maybe the TCM checks those things first.

I will try it later and see.
    2017 Chevrolet SS, Orange Blast Metallic, Rotofab CAI. Headers coming soon. Stock Tune for now
    Previous Rides: 2008 G8 GT, 2004 GTO, 2004 GTP, 2002 TA

Advanced Tuner
    Pretty sure "Service Brake" just means brakes. They mean hold your foot on the brake pedal.

Two documents relating to this topic are attached.

I just tried the "Reset" buttons. Maybe "Preset" is the one that gets the party started. ??? I was hesitant to try that. Kind of sounded like I might need to know appropriate values to preload.

LSX378, thanks for the info. Are you doing this through HPTuners - and not through a Tech2 or some other way?
    Tech II. There are messages that pop up through the process to provide instructions to move the shifter. Dont know if HPT provides these. There is an adapt status PID so maybe that needs to be scanned and responded to.

Yeah I tried the "Reset" buttons too and didn't notice the trans or engine doing anything. I'm guessing that the Fast Learn is not actually happening as it is when performing it with the Tech II.

Can someone from HP chime in here and let us know whether HP can perform the Fast Learn function??

Quote Originally Posted by carneb View Post
    Looking under VCM controls there seems to be 3 buttons, Trans adapt reset, Trans Adapt preset, and Trans fast adapt reset. I assume the resets just clear the learned values. Is the preset the Trans fast learn adapts or is there another button in the latest betas?
    I've noticed the opposition product has 4 buttons, so I'm guessing the 4th button is the fast learn adapt and HPT just doesn't support this yet?
    VE Calais V 6.0L L98 V8 6L80E

I will try it later and see.
    The buttons don't do anything noticeable (other than tranny feel/shifting afterwards).
    2017 Chevrolet SS, Orange Blast Metallic, Rotofab CAI. Headers coming soon. Stock Tune for now
    Previous Rides: 2008 G8 GT, 2004 GTO, 2004 GTP, 2002 TA

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    The buttons don't do anything noticeable (other than tranny feel/shifting afterwards).
    same here....
    [email protected]
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

carneb, I bet you're onto something regarding the 4th button. Good catch. Both systems have a "Preset" and two "Resets". Their "Learn" sounds promising!

Just today a friend mentioned you can use other software's version of VCM controls without licensing, etc. (That might be true of HP, too, for all I know). I thought to myself "When would I ever need to try that?" Now seems like a good time.

I used a Tech2 today to perform the Trans Fast Adapt Learn thing. Nice little stress test for the end of a long week. Followed the Tech2 prompts. Which were minimal. Basically block rear wheels, apply parking brake, hold brake, shift into drive, press CONTINUE. (didn't realize until afterwards that it didn't mention anything about cycling between Park and Reverse. That gave me something to stew on later.)

So the engine and transmission put on their show. Engine never stalled or struggled all that much. Eventually, Tech2 says it is finished. Also cautions this procedure can cause a neutral condition. OK, thanks for the warning but I'm following your instructions so how about NOT letting that happen. It tells you to key off for 10 seconds and press OK (or something) on Tech2. So I do. Refire and I have a box full of neutrals! No Reverse, Drive, Sport or Manual. Whole lot of not going anywhere.

Beat head on steering wheel. Then got laptop out to look over those GM documents about this. Eventually refired to try the whole thing over and I had drive again! Went for a test drive and I now have flare at shifts. May be my fault with some tune changes. But still, this experience makes HP's "might do something" Trans Adapt buttons a lot more appealing.

Advanced Tuner
    ok did a tune with TM that i like for my car, this one doesnt feel "weird" like the rest..

very fast shifts under WOT but close to stock shifts under regular driving...
    [email protected]
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Does anyone have a tranny tune that shifts quicker with slightly firmer (close to stock) shifts in D for cruising and fast, hard, chrisp shifts in S mode for racing? I have the "racing tune" down, but I am having problems with the cruising shifts being way to harsh.
    Pewter 2000 SS A4
    T-Rex Cam (242/248), Hooker LT's, 3" X-pipe Duals, Fast 90, NW 90mm TB, Yank PT4800, 4.30 gear, etc....
    Black 08 C6 A6 Z51
    Mostly stock

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 04blackgmc View Post
    ok did a tune with TM that i like for my car, this one doesnt feel "weird" like the rest..

very fast shifts under WOT but close to stock shifts under regular driving...
    Don't suppose you have a log with that file. I would like to see your 1st and 2nd gear downshifts. Upshifts are easy but downshift TM seems to be either all or none.

04blackgmc,

I was always under the impression, from other posts, that the TM was worked out on the following formula:

[(Shift Torque Factor Adder x Adder Modifier) + Shift Torque Factor].... and that was all multiplied by the Cold Multiplier.

Given the Cold Multiplier is set at "1" in most cases lets consider it irrelevant for the moment as anything times "1" is the first multiplier...eg 2 x 1 = 2

As such, by setting the Shift Torque Factor Adder to "0" as you have done in your tune, the figures set in the Adder Modifier in the higher end of the Torque band are completely irrelevant because anything multiplied by "0" is always "0".

Therefore, as I understand it, the TM in your tune is going to be 0.2998 in every shift (except the 5-6) and at all Torque bands as the formula would read....

1. (0 x Adder Modifier) is always going to be "0"

2. Then add the Shift Torque Factor (0.2998) which equals (0.2998)

3. And finally times it by the Cold Multiplier which is usually "1" and you have a final TM of 0.2998.

My point is why make any changes to the Adder Modifier if it's going to be cancelled out by having the Shift Torque Factor Adder set to "0"

There is a stock tune in the Repository for a Suburban if you search all 2008 vehicle with Auto trans. The GM stock tune has the Shift Torque Factor and the Shift Torque Factor Adder set to "1" across the board. All the TM for the tune is cleverly set out in the Adder Modifier. When applying the above formula you can see how GM has basically removed all TM at very low Torque levels but as the rev's and Torque increase the tune slowly starts adding in more and more TM. This is achieved by using negative figures in the Adder Modifier.