Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: LNF basics

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    i thought i hooked u up already what happened you go change everything or what?
    I decided to mess with the DAL's a bit more, and it started getting a bit of knock... then one day when i went to the track my IAT's were high, and I think it was causing knock, so I added more fuel. I just need more time to fine tune it... I have been getting ahead of myself on some stuff, and behind on others. Its still safe (overly safe I think). But... I am pushing 32 lbs/min now stock... I would say thats progress.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    oh excellent i hit a wall there with email tuning so very nice work. yea the track iat will be higher if its a curcuit track and drag strip somewhat raised but minor usually never as much as everyone huddling together foinf around and around a bunch of laps. specially if ur suckin in someones exhaust bumper hump style
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, i was pretty much hot lapping at the strip. I did add some timing too, and it seemed to like that. And, I swiss cheesed my airbox, and she liked that a WHOLE LOT. That alone added an entire lb/min. It sounds horrible when i start it now though, lol. Between the sucking in the airbox and the sound of the exhaust during warmup... but after she's warm... it sounds like pure sex.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i want a pic of swiss cheese action 8D i wont hate on it its serving its purpose more flow.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    i want a pic of swiss cheese action 8D i wont hate on it its serving its purpose more flow.
    Ok, I thought about doing a write up... but I knew the people on css would diss it, and I was doing it quick before the track, then ended up breaking off the PCV nipple on the intake... so I had to bandaid that with a oil cap breather... It worked though... sooo... I'll get a pic sometime.

Tuner in Training
    This is what I plan on doing, correct me if I'm wrong:

-I'm going to up the DALs little by little, until I don't see anymore boost on the scan (not gauge)
    -Watch my AFR making sure it stays around 12.5? Adjust the lambda table accordingly until I see 12.5 throughout the whole pull.
    -After that, if I'm seeing any KR, how do I correct that if the AFR is good? Assuming I'm not doing it in 80*+ weather. If it is hot out, is a little KR acceptable?
    -Do I need to mess with the MAF or will it help anything if I do?
    -I don't know how to add timing, will I gain from it will the stock IC and piping?

thanks again
    Last edited by SS#8788; 06-03-2009 at 12:51 PM.
    2002 Camaro SS - 556whp

2009 Cobalt SS/TC - ???whp

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mkriebs View Post
    Yeah, i was pretty much hot lapping at the strip. I did add some timing too, and it seemed to like that. And, I swiss cheesed my airbox, and she liked that a WHOLE LOT. That alone added an entire lb/min. It sounds horrible when i start it now though, lol. Between the sucking in the airbox and the sound of the exhaust during warmup... but after she's warm... it sounds like pure sex.
    How many degrees of advance are you currently seeing?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
    How many degrees of advance are you currently seeing?
    Now... timing is something I don't completely understand. Like, I understand what it does and stuff, but what I don't understand is why the logger is showing something way off from what I command in the tables. In the tables, at the lower right corner I am running 17.25*, and on the logger, the highest I see is 42.5*. I know you told me to keep it under 18*, and its liked this the best so far.

Tuner in Training
    I run around 18* up top as well. How soon are you guys going to 18*? I just have it at the very top right now. I have it ramped up slowly and see 0 KR right now.

Advanced Tuner
    i ramped mine in and went to .86 at 3500 it seems to like it alot
    What are you at 5k and above? Mine is at 0.88 in the low end .87 in the mid range and 0.86 up top.

Advanced Tuner
    Now... timing is something I don't completely understand. Like, I understand what it does and stuff, but what I don't understand is why the logger is showing something way off from what I command in the tables. In the tables, at the lower right corner I am running 17.25*, and on the logger, the highest I see is 42.5*. I know you told me to keep it under 18*, and its liked this the best so far.
    Anything more than 17-18* In the greater than 100% load areas of the timing table will almost certainly knock like crazy even on 93 octane. Now if you were running C-16 or E 85 that would be a different story 22-23* is possible then.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by marcusicp View Post
    I run around 18* up top as well. How soon are you guys going to 18*? I just have it at the very top right now. I have it ramped up slowly and see 0 KR right now.
    Smooth is the key to a good timing table. I have hit smooth selection three times on all my timing tables as it made some smoothing changes each time I hit the button.

Tuner in Training
    I figured that smoother is better. But, what RPM do most start to run 18*? Just at the very top and smooth it out? Or, do you do 18 from say 4500-top and smooth it then?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by marcusicp View Post
    I figured that smoother is better. But, what RPM do most start to run 18*? Just at the very top and smooth it out? Or, do you do 18 from say 4500-top and smooth it then?
    If you can get away with 18* at less than 5k more power to you, but mine is seeing about 17-17.5* at above 5k at greater than 100% load. You should probably set your max value and values in the table and hit smooth selection a couple times until the cells stop lighting up.

Tuner in Training
    If you can get away with 18* at less than 5k more power to you, but mine is seeing about 17-17.5* at above 5k at greater than 100% load. You should probably set your max value and values in the table and hit smooth selection a couple times until the cells stop lighting up.
    I have ran 18* from 4000-top and had no KR in 85 degree weather. This was with Shell 93 in the tank. However, I couldn't tell any difference with that or say 14* at 4000 and going to 18* only at the top slowly ramping it up and smoothing it out. I really wish I had a good dyno close by so I could see what helps and what doesn't. Hard to tell what is working with the butt dyno.

Advanced Tuner
    This is how I have my timing tables set. Lemme know what you think, and what I could change...

Advanced Tuner
    This is how I have my timing tables set. Lemme know what you think, and what I could change...
    Holy cow you have a ton of advance in the lower loads. No KR at all? Mine are lower than that in the low load areas but more timing at low loads is generally better for gas mileage.

Advanced Tuner
    Holy cow you have a ton of advance in the lower loads. No KR at all? Mine are lower than that in the low load areas but more timing at low loads is generally better for gas mileage.
    No? This is a good thing i take it? I have gotten very VERY little knock, and it is so sporadic, I can't really trace it back to anything certain. Still working it out, and will get it soon.

Advanced Tuner
    No? This is a good thing i take it? I have gotten very VERY little knock, and it is so sporadic, I can't really trace it back to anything certain. Still working it out, and will get it soon.
    Can I see your other timing tables? Are they all the same? email me your tune If you wish. [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    At the lower loads it will show 40* or more of advance. Basically advance means the number of degrees of crankshaft rotation before the piston is at top dead center. More advance is better up to a point for maximum economy and also for max power. For max power you want the combustion to be complete and peak cylinder pressure to be reached 18* after TDC so as to do the most work on the piston thereby producing the most torque possible.