Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: LNF basics

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SS#8788 View Post
    yeah, makes sense. I really don't know where to start with the timing, so I'm just trying to get this basic stuff first. when you say .86 straight down, do you mean the 100% fields? what would you recommend for the 90%?
    the attached is what i run. also go back to the factory timing table and adjust from there. the timing is a slow process i would recommend tuning it on a hot day for your area that way you know it doesnt knock for a hot day and then you wont have to adjust it for a cold day since cold will actually make it not knock as much.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    the attached is what i run. also go back to the factory timing table and adjust from there. the timing is a slow process i would recommend tuning it on a hot day for your area that way you know it doesnt knock for a hot day and then you wont have to adjust it for a cold day since cold will actually make it not knock as much.
    Or you could tune on a cold day and tune out the knock using temperature based timing adjustments.

Tuner in Training
    Did another scan. Here is my lambda table and scan. I noticed in a couple spots when I completely got off the pedal it stayed rich or got richer. It's not exactly what I'm commanding, how can I fix that?

2002 Camaro SS - 556whp

2009 Cobalt SS/TC - ???whp

when you get off the pedal it does all sorts of weird stuff you dont care about it cause you cant control it. like i said its a defco thing and we have no defco control. your tune looks good. and temp control is a waste of time these motors only make a 3 hp max increase when timing is changed. that isnt enough to bother.

Tuner in Training
    thanks everyone for all the inputs and assistance. It feels good, and now I'm going to get it on the dyno and compare stock tune vs this tune.
    2002 Camaro SS - 556whp

2009 Cobalt SS/TC - ???whp

if your factory up to 304 is perfect and 308 range is most excellent

OK Im new to all this and I dont mean to sound like a complete noob, but why dont I have a max airload table? I just picked up my ss/tc the other day and Im startin to do some research on it before I actually tune it.

Quote Originally Posted by acesneights View Post
    OK Im new to all this and I dont mean to sound like a complete noob, but why dont I have a max airload table? I just picked up my ss/tc the other day and Im startin to do some research on it before I actually tune it.
    You have to email HPTUNERS and ask for the beta version

Noob here as well...

Just wanted to thank you all for the information in this thread. I have my HPT ordered and it should be here in a day or two and am looking forward to tuning a bit on my LNF. Been researching as much as I can and bugging a kind few.

I recognize a lot of names from other forums and just wanted to add my thanks.

'08 SS/TC LNF currently running a Trifecta tune, half an air box mod with an AEM elbow on order for the stock air box & a coupler for the snout.

Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    Just wanted to thank you all for the information in this thread. I have my HPT ordered and it should be here in a day or two and am looking forward to tuning a bit on my LNF. Been researching as much as I can and bugging a kind few.

I recognize a lot of names from other forums and just wanted to add my thanks.

'08 SS/TC LNF currently running a Trifecta tune, half an air box mod with an AEM elbow on order for the stock air box & a coupler for the snout.
    hahaha that coupler for the snout is exactly what caused me to do a full port job. sucked that mofo right into the turbo hahah bee seeing him shortly lol

How'd you suck a coupler through the air filter? I could see a reducer ring on something like the Dejon SRI at the turbo getting sucked in. My lack of communication skills is showing. I meant a coupler to reattach a short snout cut from the original intake to the airbox inlet.

Actually, I'm scrapping the air box mod approach and putting a AEM CAI on it next week.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

How'd you suck a coupler through the air filter? I could see a reducer ring on something like the Dejon SRI at the turbo getting sucked in. My lack of communication skills is showing. I meant a coupler to reattach a short snout cut from the original intake to the airbox inlet.

Actually, I'm scrapping the air box mod approach and putting a AEM CAI on it next week.
    yes thats sounds better i had adaptor failure. just get an aem or hahn you wont have the problem.

Nice to know. I've been bugging Term trying to understand the DAL table. He's got the patience of a Saint.

My AEM CAI will be here Wed. I hope to have a tune ready to log by then.

sweet im having a problem retiming the chain on my car i dont know how so its just dangling there lol 8(

I loaded my tune tonight on the stock airbox snorkeless and so far so good. Not seeing any KR show it's ugly head now. Prob need more advance at WOT. I'll leave it until I get the AEM CIA on it this week. Still mucho more to learn. PE lambda is .88 - .86 at WOT and DAL's are commanding around 21.5 psi boost. LTFT is -1.6 for now.

P.S. I had to tune the stock ECM, the Trifecta tuned one wouldn't cooperate with my single vehicle license and Bill thought I had a 50/50 chance of frying it doing a write entire if I added the license for it. When I tried to read & save it, it read for 28 mins & saved a file that HPT will not open. Trifecta uses a unique OS to themselves and while they advertise they don't lock the ECM, they might as well have. Live and learn.
    Last edited by Iam Broke; 07-20-2009 at 08:08 PM.

yea vince has his own software that cant be read by hpt. it takes a write entire and they can be risky as stated.

AEM CAI is on. Much nicer install than the Dejon SRI I had a few months ago. 10 mile run and my LTFT's are still -1.6, I'll check after an 80 mile trip tomorrow.

A little light knock around 4500 RPM, medium load but it's only 0.5 degrees.

My MAF went down from 30 to 28.5 or so WOT but the intake is larger in diameter, so I think the MAF would see less velocity for the same volume. Is that right?

I see the MAP spike and top out at WOT, then settle in around 21.5.

It sounds like Darth Vader again!

Logged it on the way to work and LTFT's are up to 12.5

Logged it on the way to work and LTFT's are up to 12.5
    its adding fuel for some reason. its adding 14% on your stft because you not hitting your commanded a/f, something doesn't seem right
    The stft and ltft are going to be changing all the time based on current weather conditions. If it were me I would say if the car is not throwing a code for to rich/lean then I would say your ok as long as your a/f is in line. just my .02

do you have a tune file to look at? you should be flowing 33+lbs/min unless your not commanding that much in you dal's.
    Last edited by boostking; 07-23-2009 at 03:41 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by boostking View Post
    its adding fuel for some reason. its adding 14% on your stft because you not hitting your commanded a/f, something doesn't seem right
    The stft and ltft are going to be changing all the time based on current weather conditions. If it were me I would say if the car is not throwing a code for to rich/lean then I would say your ok as long as your a/f is in line. just my .02

do you have a tune file to look at? you should be flowing 33+lbs/min unless your not commanding that much in you dal's.
    That is a normal LTFT for the AEM intake. It is considerably larger than all other inakes that I know of for this car at 3.25" OD. The stock intake is approx 2 7/8" at the MAF so there is a 10% difference in diameter and the MAF is seeing 10% less airflow than actual. My LTFTs were +9 to +10 wih the AEM intake.