Thread: cam sensor anyway to check on my 99 firebird...cranking check?

cam sensor anyway to check on my 99 firebird...cranking check?

I have a cam sensor nightmare on my 99 ta. swapped engines ,etc and got code p0342 first intermittent then more permanent. It comes back now instantly when you try to reset dtcs.

I swapped in a new cam sensor this spring . Still same problem.
    I started checking wiring continuity and power seems good to the sensor connector.
    I scanned for signal with my hptuners cam high low and low high PIDS.
    No signal at all on either one.
    Tach is dead as doornail another symptom and car is hard to start.
    I did get it running nice for 15 minutes the other day not sure what was up but it didn't last.

Is there anyway to test signal of the cam sensor with just cranking the engine with no fuel or spark?
    It is huge pain to test it running since cam sensor is behind intake and you have to remove intake to get to it..I doubt I have two dud cam sensors first one was working fine in pre swap motor and second was new gm pretty sure not jobber.

Can I ohm the sensor pins? Can I check just cranking engine?
    Is there no way to know of these sensors are duds ?
    If not sensor then next on list is going to check cam bolts to see if they have come loose. Then maybe swap out cams in case have bad reluctor.
    Then only thing left is ecu or sell the car. Very frustrating.
    99 TAWS6 ERL 427 superdeck,AFR 225, LS9 cam, 1.7 yella terras, fluiddampr, fast 90/90,APS Twin turbos LG upgraded turbos,cutout.80 pound injectors, RPM 4l80e ,yank py3400, dana 60, lonnies dual pump fuel system,zex direct port,ron davis rad,ais alc injection
    interceptor guages, eboost 2.

Other toys 91 race talon turbo awd, 97 talon awd turbo, 2008 Z06

you need a Digital volt meter with duty cycle future . idle value is 45% to55% duty cycle on the CMP signal wire.

I did some experimenting while waiting for reply. I was getting zero on the cam sensor that was in there. I then put in my old cam sensor. I cranked it and got readings on hi low and low high.
    So figured great problem solved. Then went out again a few minutes later to confirm or maybe swap the new dud? one back in as confirmation. But decided to crank engine with same one that was just reading. Now it was reading zero. It was just reading a few minutes before.
    So go back and check continuity in the second half of the harness,hard to check first half would have to do it thru ecu connector . And get continuity. Then check power again to sensor plug.Its there. So what the heck. plug it back in and go back to car and now sensor is reading again. So either both sensors are intermittent or possibly plug is but it looks fine.I need another set of hands to wiggle plug as test while read data.
    Wil try again later or tommorrow this thing is exhausting me. But you can get the signal from hptuners is in the pids.
    good to know you don't need car running to test and you can also get crank signal with just cranking car over.

I am still worried mabye cam loose but would think that wouldn't be so intermittent and might give more intermittent readings when driving around and cam is walking not sitting there testing with car not moving.

These problems drive a guy right nuts.
    99 TAWS6 ERL 427 superdeck,AFR 225, LS9 cam, 1.7 yella terras, fluiddampr, fast 90/90,APS Twin turbos LG upgraded turbos,cutout.80 pound injectors, RPM 4l80e ,yank py3400, dana 60, lonnies dual pump fuel system,zex direct port,ron davis rad,ais alc injection

Potential Tuner
    Since you've already checked the sensor Al, I hate to say it, but why not double check the cam.
    I know its not much fun to pull the cam, even on a stock LS1, but what else can you do besides buy another sensor and try it?
    Problem is, if it acts like the others... then you're running out of other things to check/look for.

Might as well do your planned upgrade to the oil pump while you're in there.
    Don't quit now!

Yeah thanks for the words of encouragement. Another day messing on it and still not sure whats up. I and buddy rechecked to see if had power to cam sensor. Rechecked continuity on signal line. Even twisted and wiggled the connector at sensor and coudn't stop the continuity or power to the connector. So appears not intermittent wiring. Plugged in sensor again and cranked car and getting signal.
    I think its mabye loose fitting in the connector on the sensor pin. going to try to tighten up the connect females a bit to see if thats maybe the problem. Ordered new sensor anyway they are fairly cheap but can't see getting three duds.

Can the sensors go intermittent? Anyone know? Can the computer be fried but still put out 12volts to the sensor and nothing else in car is affected.
    So really don't think it is the sensor.bought this long flexible mirror going to try to see if can see reluctor in in there. Make sure its under the sensor.
    And will be going into the front cover soon if don't figure this out. Figure only things left are connector to sensor, sensor or cam walked or reluctor. As said dont' think its ecu. But also if its cam walked why would the sensors read and output fine one minute and not the next ,not driving car so can't see cam walking at low revs from just cranking to test signal on hp scanner. Seems more intermittent at the sensor.Just a hunch.

What came from this? Have a good buddy getting Cam codes and we have tried everything.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner in Training
    Did anyone bother to do a crank sensor re-learn? I would start there.

Here is a website for that code:

- Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
    - Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
    - Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
    - Faulty starter motor
    - Starting system circuit
    - Dead (Weak) battery

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0342.html#ixzz2XAX8AfYA
    2001 Camaro SS - 6.2L L9H, Custom Cam, LTs, Fast Toys 104 lid, SD CL tune, S-60 rear-end, 4.10, T-56, Borla, many suspension mods.