Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a complete 2BAR conversion write-up??

Is there a complete 2BAR conversion write-up??

Is there a write-up that covers all the things you have to do to complete the 2BAR conversion? I thought it was you simply put in the correct MAP sensor falsh the new OS and its done, at least that was what I believed from the directions that say how to apply the upgrade. I found out last night on ls1gto.com that I have to fail the MAF and make sure the MIL is still active to get it to work right. I didnt see that anywhere in the reading unless I missed it, I have been sick for a week. I also found out that I was wrong in my assumtion that it was a completely new file. Before doing the conversion I had the tune set up to calibrate the MAF in OL, after applying the conversion I had to go back and set up everything in SD. I think these are some things that should be explained because as far as I read, the directions say that the 2BAR can be applied to a stock or existing tune, which is what led me to believe it was a new file with the upgraded tables.

Someone let me know if I am off base here, I've been doped up on nyquil for a week or so
    Last edited by angrygoat; 05-18-2009 at 06:57 AM.
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

"The goal of tuning is for the tune to run well enough you dont need any corrective mechanisms"

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_edi...to_user_sd.htm

I don't think theres any 2 bar specific how to's but that one covers the basics for all.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

yes sir, I have seen that one and the one I think Bill Winters wrote up for LS2 SD tuning. Once I am feeling better I may do a quick write up on all the little quirks that need to be done as well. Is there any calibration for the scanner that needs to be done to get the 2BAR map sensor working correctly, or is it plug and play with the new OS? Thanks Bill
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

"The goal of tuning is for the tune to run well enough you dont need any corrective mechanisms"

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I believe most LS2's just use the regular map(sae) pid...the help file would state otherwise.

Tuner
    Hey Goat, I hear ya brutha!! I just got done dealing with the same thing, I have a thread in this section, and another in the help section. I was looking over the OS and noticed all the maf stuff still there, and wondered out loud about that, wasn't told directly to "fail" the maf, loaded the OS in a S/C GTO, didn't run so well! Ended up putting the original tune back in, made the changes to the fuel injector flow, attempted to tune it so the owner could drive it more than at 3,000 rpm, (he bought the kit from Magnuson, had a Superchips handheld, I told him to check with them since he had a cam, headers, full exhaust. They agreed that their tune wouldn't be right, it needed a custom tune, so he was driving it with the cam tune and bigger injectors), any way it tuned up pretty well, I'm guessing the maf on LS2s handle a bit more air than LS1s, 4 psi at least, with no problems so far, done on a dyno. At the moment I'm still using the stock map sensor, got one from one of his friends, supposedly a 2 bar, not too sure about it, which one are you using, do you know of a good supplier?
    As far as the original point of this thread, it would be helpful to know that the maf needs to be "failed", seems to me to be a basic instruction, although a bit of a "Homer Simpson moment, DOH!"

Potential Tuner
    Eagle
    I have a 05 gto with maggie 6-psig, cam, headers
    I just switch over to the 2BAR OS
    I used the GM part#12615136 2bar sensor
    everthing works good

yeah, that part number superceeds the old one of 12580698. It is the BARO sensor from the Cobalt SS not the MAP/IAT. I will work on a write up once I get some time. This problem cost me a couple days of tuning that I need to make up to be ready for Pontiacs in the Park at the end of the month. I was running the APS up to about 8 psi and seeing just shy of 12200hz but im pretty sure the gr/sec was maxed
    Last edited by angrygoat; 05-21-2009 at 12:22 PM.
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

Tuner in Training
    i used a map sensor from a Saturn SKY Redline. it was plug and play.
    not sure of the part number, it may be the same as the number above.

angrygoat, are you in maryland?
    06 GTO, M6 LS2, Gen-TTR twin turbo kit(8psi)
    2 Bar SD tuning (maf fail set to 0Hz)"60lb" injectors (closer to 72#)
    stock motor, SLP LM2 exhaust. Exedy Hyper Single clutch. slips above 4k rpm in boost(3rd and 4th gear).

He's in Jack N.C. vette4beater you coming to Pontiacs in the Parks. They'll be a few of us twin turbo types there
    06 Twin Turbo GTO

http://mysite.verizon.net/whenn1/HP%...%20Numbers.doc

Here you go gents. Please posts any thoughts so we can make this useful for everyone. I have used some material that is already posted in HPTs help files as I found them very useful. Let'em fly
    Last edited by angrygoat; 05-22-2009 at 05:33 AM.
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by angrygoat View Post
    http://mysite.verizon.net/whenn1/HP%...%20Numbers.doc

Here you go gents. Please posts any thoughts so we can make this useful for everyone. I have used some material that is already posted in HPTs help files as I found them very useful. Let'em fly
    Not working, "Bad Request", happy to add what ever I can, thanks in advance for the effort.

I'm very interested in this, as I just got the 2bar map and custom os for my 07 ls2. I'm gonna need some help I can already tell I'll be watching closley for the fixed link.

thanks!

should be good now
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

awesome! question, where are you getting initial data for the empty VE table?

10. The new Boost VE table will be full of zero data. You *must* create a valid VE table before writing the file to the PCM

according to the help file, you have to copy the 105kpa column from you primary VE table and paste it into the first and last column of your boost VE table. Then, multiply the last column in the boost VE table by 1.25 and interpolate everything in between. THis will make you way rich but it will be very safe to start with. THen just lean out as needed
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by angrygoat View Post
    according to the help file, you have to copy the 105kpa column from you primary VE table and paste it into the first and last column of your boost VE table. Then, multiply the last column in the boost VE table by 1.25 and interpolate everything in between. THis will make you way rich but it will be very safe to start with. THen just lean out as needed
    You don't "have" to do it this way, I don't even remember seeing that posted in the help file, can you post a link to where it says this in our help file?

took it from this video. Its about 1/2 - 2/3 of the way through.

http://www.hptuners.com/help/demos/2%20bar%20sd.swf
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Again you don't need to do it like this its just a suggestion to get you pointed in the right direction for those that have never done a 2 or 3 bar tune previously. Its not to say there is no better way to go about it, but simply A way to go about it.

Soundengineer(one of our moderators here) created this demo to help newbs get their feet wet.

Bill, what's the other way, since there is no VE table to begin with on the 07?

No, I def understand what you are saying Bill, its a great starting point but like anything in tuning its not the only way to do things. It was the way I was familiar with and it worked well for me so I copied it into my write-up
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131