Thread: TBSS BBA's 2007 "Hot Tune": changed for hot weather and 91 octane

Cool TBSS BBA's 2007 "Hot Tune": changed for hot weather and 91 octane

You do not need the Beta HP Tuners for this tune. This tune is biased off of the older tune BBA had:

BBA 4-06-08.hpt

First off why the older tune? It runs better for me then the newer tune (Pre beta) that BBA released. One run on the newer tune and I had to back out of the throttle from audible knock with 100 Octane. (It was also 111 degrees out.)

I have had IAT's of 169 degrees. Our summers are usually over 100 with 6% humidity. I have run with 111 degrees outside. 115 Is not unusual out here and I have had days towing back from the lake at 121 degrees. All on 91 octane gas. (BBA has 93 octane.)

I have followed the advice of other tuners on here in some areas. Specifically the knock settings. This allows me to keep higher timing w/o worry of hurting the engine while towing.

Other changes include:
    Re enable the traction control.
    Heavy fan for AC. You will hear the fan while running down the road over 100 degrees out. Don't like it - change it. But enjoy the Cold AC in 105 degree weather first. EDIT: revised fan settings.

I would get rid of the 2nd gear TCC lockup as it will throw a pending TCC stuck on code if you are manual shifting and revving it up.

The final minimum airflow may take work and you could pull the values from BBA's current tune. Mine will clunk the rear end and cackle on deaccel. This is to keep the random 2K RPM hang I have down to a foot note from attempting to overpower the brakes. (Throttle hang I have)

Mods you should do for hot weather:

TR6 IR spark plugs with factory or smaller gap - less heat and KR.

160 T-Stat

Water Wetter

Seal the hot air recirculation path off over the top of the radiator with pipe foam. (AC idle performance.) I have just done this and am testing revised EV clutch fan settings after this mod.

EDIT:
    You will now need the Beta version to use this tune.

Edit:
    AC fan testing complete. This revs up the fan after startup for high AC heat loads then backs off after 1-2 min. Yes it is noisy, but it is worth it! In hot weather or long idle it brings the fan on as needed. All in all the foam blocking the hot air path and these fan settings give you the coldest air possible in 115 degree weather. Factory you are done at 105 degrees.

This tune is NOT FOR TOWING IN HOT WEATHER! The KR will be constant with hills and high outside temps towing.
    Last edited by WarWagon; 08-19-2009 at 10:24 AM.

I'm IN.

For the Hot weather climate people, I'm sure this will work out great for Hawaii folks.

Thanks to WarWagon for the sharing.

Updated tune.
    I used crashinaz's timing and PE table settings with permission to release.
    This dropped me to 14.1 and up to 98.7MPH in the 1/4 with 2 degrees of KR max.

I have changed the fan settings to use the foam hot air return path blockage. AC is still cold in 105 degree weather for a change w/o a jet engine fan. Glad to back this setting off!

I changed the TCC lockup speeds to lower matching 'Radio Shack's' posted settings. Adds shift delay when you want to stomp it - manually shift to 3rd first before stomping it. But, better lugging and exhaust note in town.

I revised the airflow ECT tables but still an area that needs work for me.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by WarWagon View Post
    Updated tune.
    I used crashinaz's timing and PE table settings with permission to release.
    This dropped me to 14.1 and up to 98.7MPH in the 1/4 with 2 degrees of KR max.

I have changed the fan settings to use the foam hot air return path blockage. AC is still cold in 105 degree weather for a change w/o a jet engine fan. Glad to back this setting off!

I changed the TCC lockup speeds to lower matching 'Radio Shack's' posted settings. Adds shift delay when you want to stomp it - manually shift to 3rd first before stomping it. But, better lugging and exhaust note in town.

I revised the airflow ECT tables but still an area that needs work for me.
    What was your 1/4 mile time before this tune?

Quote Originally Posted by WarWagon View Post
    Updated tune.
    What does this mean?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hard_one View Post
    What does this mean?

Thanks.
    The TCC clutch stays locked up so the engine doesn’t slip the converter. Better MPG really and nice sound of a heaver engine load at lower RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by quen_gta2 View Post
    What was your 1/4 mile time before this tune?
    14.6 @ 95 near stock tune. Ran same night. I have not run a stock tune on the track.
    Last edited by WarWagon; 08-19-2009 at 10:22 AM.

I couldn't wait, received my VCM suite this evening and loaded your tune. The power is more noticable when you stomp on it. I hope its just not imagination but the engine idles better.

I bought PCMforless 160 t-stat and will install it this weekend. I'm still very interested in tweaking it with a local tuner for our weather. I'll report back on that.

I only took it on the freeway and back roads for 15 minutes - a short drive. I need to see how it handles in traffic and under the Hawaii weather.

I thank you again for your help and sharing your knowledge. It made my HPtuner purchase worth it.

Aloha
    John