Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LNF - Calibrating MAF frequency

Advanced Tuner

LNF - Calibrating MAF frequency

How do you do it? Will calculating the percent change in cross sectional area and multiplying the table by that percent work?

Does anyone have a formula to get close when going from the stock intake piping to 3" or 4" piping?
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

Advanced Tuner
    Honeoye,Ny. Boondox son. Shoot guns out my back door. noone cares.
    THats how I do it. % change in cross section. Then fine tune using %error in afr, Always works.
    Me love boost long time.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldturbofreak.com View Post
    THats how I do it. % change in cross section. Then fine tune using %error in afr, Always works.
    do you actually have a large %error in afr under load? I have not changed the intake yet, but as it is my %errors in afr are quite low. What about STFTs instead?
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

Advanced Tuner
    Honeoye,Ny. Boondox son. Shoot guns out my back door. noone cares.
    In the LNF all I do is use the ltft's as a global offset, then use the stft's to dial the AMf correction vs/load map.
    All other Gm vehicles are WB less so I have to use % error. in combination with an external WB.
    Me love boost long time.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    how do we tune the ltft in the lnf? and % error where is this screenshot perhaps?
    try 1 percent thats what i got on my 3" cobalt pipe should be around same for you 1-2 %
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    My LTFTs are -5% across the board with my Dejon SRI, but mine has a 3.25" inlet not a 3". I just multiplied the MAF airflow vs frequency table by 1.05 all the way across. I hope that fixes it. I think my reasoning is correct: 5% more MAF flow for the same frequency should mean 5% less fuel added for the same MAF flow which should make for 0% LTFTs. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
    My LTFTs are -5% across the board with my Dejon SRI, but mine has a 3.25" inlet not a 3". I just multiplied the MAF airflow vs frequency table by 1.05 all the way across. I hope that fixes it. I think my reasoning is correct: 5% more MAF flow for the same frequency should mean 5% less fuel added for the same MAF flow which should make for 0% LTFTs. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
    -5 LTFT means the PCM is removing 5% percent of fuel
    Multiply by 0.95 to remove the fuel and you will have almost 0 LTFT

If the PCM is removing, multiply by 100-X%
    If the PCM es adding, multiply by 100+X%

Make the same with the STFT values, it takes more time to adjust...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kuprito View Post
    -5 LTFT means the PCM is removing 5% percent of fuel
    Multiply by 0.95 to remove the fuel and you will have almost 0 LTFT

If the PCM is removing, multiply by 100-X%
    If the PCM es adding, multiply by 100+X%

Make the same with the STFT values, it takes more time to adjust...
    Thanks man. I realized that I did it wrong when the LTFT went to -10. It was my first time MAF tuning and I second guessed myself I had it correct at first then I changed it. I have had HP tuners for only a couple weeks now. I learned something new yesterday.

Advanced Tuner
    Doesn't your method here assume that all the the LTFT is from the larger intake? I though the MAF frequency was to adjust for the diameter at the sensor, and the MAF calibration table was the actual fueling compensation for the MAF?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
    Doesn't your method here assume that all the the LTFT is from the larger intake? I though the MAF frequency was to adjust for the diameter at the sensor, and the MAF calibration table was the actual fueling compensation for the MAF?
    Apparently I did it wrong because now my STFTs are all over the place and I put it back to stock for now my LTFTs are -4 to -6 (-5 avg.) all rpms ranges and loads and my STFTs are insane.They are anywhere from +17 to -20

Terminator, look at averages, not max or min. Is not the same cold or hot engine, it has different STFT...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kuprito View Post
    Terminator, look at averages, not max or min. Is not the same cold or hot engine, it has different STFT...
    Thanks man still learning. I Have a histogram now of LTFT+ STFT as well as a STFT vs MAF frequency and STFT VS load and rpm and LTFT vs load and rpm. I have it better now and the car runs a ton better now but I have +7 STFTs at WOT so I need to make a slight adjustment to the high load areas. -1 LTFTs now instead of -7.

so maf correction table is for ltft? i know my stft were perfect when i adjusted the maf cal. table

Advanced Tuner
    I think MAF Calibration is to adjust for different intake diameter, MAF correction factor is to adjust fueling (LTFTs) after the correct calibtation is set.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    so maf correction table is for ltft? i know my stft were perfect when i adjusted the maf cal. table
    Seemed to work well for getting my LTFTs close to 0.

Advanced Tuner
    So if you get an aftermarket intake with a LARGER diameter, will your MAF readings be artificially HIGHER or LOWER

Potential Tuner
    I need help in this area too. I purchased an aftermarket intake and now after logging my LTFT's are in the negatives (-8 last), they used to be spot on at zero. I attached my log for reference. How exactly do I go about trying to correct this? Do I use the MAF correction table?
    Last edited by CalebL; 06-23-2009 at 02:11 PM.

yay this is good info cause the port job and stage 2 on of a k custom k04 will def be freakin my ltfts and i didnt know what to change till now. all i had to do stock was move my stft and the ltft stayed 0 lol lucky me
    thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
    So if you get an aftermarket intake with a LARGER diameter, will your MAF readings be artificially HIGHER or LOWER
    Artifically low I would think because the air velocity through the intake would be reduced for the same amount of airflow.

Advanced Tuner
    Artifically low I would think because the air velocity through the intake would be reduced for the same amount of airflow.

Lol I HATED physics. I was seeing it as you are getting more airflow for the same velocity. 1000 Hz through a 3" tube vs a 4" tube - which has the greater mass flow?