Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E38 OS Upgrade VE tuning

Advanced Tuner

E38 OS Upgrade VE tuning

Trying to run the new E38 2 bar OS system. It looks like its a great way to go but I am running into a snag. When upgrading to the new OS, it now has a standard VE table, which is great. However, the VE table is all 0. You need to create your own VE table.

This is where I pooped a brick, for lack of a better expression! How can one calculate a decent VE base curve?

Secondly, on LS1 based PCMs, the VE curve is structured so that the numbers in the VE graph refer to a percentage of the motors VE, on a Yukon that we had in the yard has a range of 0-134%, for example. On the E38 OS its not a percentage but a number set ranging from 0-8192 (or something close to that). How does the percentage relate to the VE table, and in the E38 OS upgrade particularly, how does the 8192 relate?

I tried to use a VE table off of the same Denali (LQ4 6.0L) as a starting point. If I remember correctly, it was right around 40% at idle. When I put 40 into the E38 2bar OS it didn't do anything. When I calculated 40% of 8192 it idles and runs decently. So, can I just use 8192 as 100% and calculate for a base map? Or am I missing something?

If this is correct, and I can just calculate the number, why does the factory one go to 134% instead of just 100%?

Boy, it would be nice to get this car done. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Senior Tuner
    What vehicle? Vette? If so, a good starting point is to use the LS2 E40 values from a Vette or GTO, and then start perfecting from there.

Also, why not just run direct MAF 100%? With the 2.5bar OS upgrade for the E38, you now have a MAF transfer up to 15k Hz. You're NOT going to peg that.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, its a twin turbo '08 Z06. i would love to just run the MAF, but how can I do that with the VE table there?

How can I run the LS2 values if the E40 doesnt have a VE table? Where do I get the VE table information from?

The E40's do have a VE table in the format you're talking about. Just pull up an '05 C6 or '05-06 GTO file out of the repository.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    As stated most that opt for the E38 custom os just use an E40 VE table as their base point & work from there.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Why not just use EQ VE to build it from the variables in the calibration? It's a five second copy/paste.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Advanced Tuner
    Eq Ve?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    The E40's do have a VE table in the format you're talking about. Just pull up an '05 C6 or '05-06 GTO file out of the repository.

interesting. I have tuned several C6 Vettes. I guess none of them were 05s. Thanks.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Here is the VE table from a stock 05 Vette

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you Bill. You are a life saver once again! Hopefully I can get this car done for the poor guy.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsrt4 View Post
    Yeah, its a twin turbo '08 Z06. i would love to just run the MAF, but how can I do that with the VE table there?

How can I run the LS2 values if the E40 doesnt have a VE table? Where do I get the VE table information from?
    That would be easy, just set the VE to OFF and run 100% MAF. I'd still have a base VE table to input there, as it may be used for error checking still.

Go to Engine, General, Airflow, Dynamic Airflow, and set "High RPM Disable" to 100 and "High RPM Re-enable" to 0. Or just set both to 0. You're now 100% MAF.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    That would be easy, just set the VE to OFF and run 100% MAF. I'd still have a base VE table to input there, as it may be used for error checking still.

Go to Engine, General, Airflow, Dynamic Airflow, and set "High RPM Disable" to 100 and "High RPM Re-enable" to 0. Or just set both to 0. You're now 100% MAF.

Will that really work? This thing needs to drive as well as it did stock. Will a MAF only table really work well or will it just get by?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Will that really work? This thing needs to drive as well as it did stock. Will a MAF only table really work well or will it just get by?
    They come stock with a maf not without one

My personal opinion is I like to keep the maf if at all possible.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    They come stock with a maf not without one

My personal opinion is I like to keep the maf if at all possible.
    Oh, no don't mistake my comment. If I could go MAF only, I would be as happy as a clam. I much prefer it to the standard VE/MAF combination. If I can turn the VE off and run MAF only, and the car will run and not freak out, that is the way I am going. I just don't want to go half-way on this job. Its going to be making almost 800hp to the ground, it has to be done right.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I've never, personally, disabled ve completely. Alot of guys that previously tuned Fords I see do that since fords primarily use MAF as compared to GM. I always tried to keep maf & ve working together & if one failed have a solid backup

Advanced Tuner
    once you have used the custom OS and have the VE table dialed in you will throw the maf in the bin... they are super accurate and super easy to use..

you can change the resoultion to be what ever you want it to be, you can run as high as 3kpa resoultion if the car is NA.

Senior Tuner
    Yes, it will run perfectly, and probably even better. Trust me, and you'll see.

However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with running a hybrid system. And if you do decide to go this route, you need to make absolutely sure you tune each method individual (meaning, disable MAF, tune VE in fully, then disable VE and tune MAF in fully).
    Formerly known as RWTD

Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    Yes, it will run perfectly, and probably even better. Trust me, and you'll see.

However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with running a hybrid system. And if you do decide to go this route, you need to make absolutely sure you tune each method individual (meaning, disable MAF, tune VE in fully, then disable VE and tune MAF in fully).
    i agree!!

This makes me excited, should of gotten on the forums earlier I see.

RWTD you know of a good write up for tuning the MAF?

We can sell you a TT C6Z file if you like. Running speed density.

Can't give it away as I have a TON of time into it. Starting with a zeroed out VE table takes a little time
    07 ZO6- warhawk 427/APS TT/HPT 2.5bar

[email protected]