Thread: Who knows about the A6 trany...Russ?

Advanced Tuner

Who knows about the A6 trany...Russ?

I have the tune locked down for the most part other than some flares that I am sure are froming adders in sections for the tune that I am not sure of.

What kind of changes should be made to the:

Transmission>Shift Prop>Inertia factor profile down to the bottom of tables on that side of the transmission section?

There are about 15 tables with multiple tables in each section that all have timing adders or modifiers. What needs to be adjusted and where?

Who is the pro on the new A6 tranny GM is using in these new vehicles?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakyws6 View Post
    I have the tune locked down for the most part other than some flares that I am sure are froming adders in sections for the tune that I am not sure of.

Transmission>Shift Prop>Inertia factor profile down to the bottom of tables on that side of the transmission section?

There are about 15 tables with multiple tables in each section that all have timing adders or modifiers. What needs to be adjusted and where?

Does GM even understand the A6......LOL .

Tuner in Training
    I'm curious if there is a pro as well, I've seen 3 different tunes for the TCM for my car, each going a different route. All of the them had the same basic feel tho!
    09 G8 GT

Most of what you just listed should be left alone. I have Built a few A6's and tuned a few...LOL. If you are flare shifting in more than 1 shift, then start over. If you want you can email me the tune and I can tell you what you should change. Man you don't want to cook that tranny. $$$$$$. The G8's are interesting animals. They seem to like a diff. set of rules compared to the trucks and vette's.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

2020 Ford F150 King Ranch 5.0

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah it is wierd, in auto mode it hits decent in 1,2 and 3. I personally like a good firm shift when normal driving and for a tranny to shift as fast as it can and as hard as the car or tranny candle when it is go time.

When in Manual mode it barks the tires as long as I can shift fast enough when going from 1-2, most of the time the tach is behind and by the time I push the shifter I am almost into the rev limiter.

It hits 2-3 hard enough to chirp the tires when in sport mode and manual, but after that 3-4 is soft and so is 4-5. I have not stayed in it long enough to get into 5-6 which wouldnt matter as based on what I saw in the speed limiter there are at least 20 tables that need to be edited in order to get rid of the factory speed limiter.

Here is the recent tune I am using.

Yeah it is wierd, in auto mode it hits decent in 1,2 and 3. I personally like a good firm shift when normal driving and for a tranny to shift as fast as it can and as hard as the car or tranny candle when it is go time.

When in Manual mode it barks the tires as long as I can shift fast enough when going from 1-2, most of the time the tach is behind and by the time I push the shifter I am almost into the rev limiter.

It hits 2-3 hard enough to chirp the tires when in sport mode and manual, but after that 3-4 is soft and so is 4-5. I have not stayed in it long enough to get into 5-6 which wouldnt matter as based on what I saw in the speed limiter there are at least 20 tables that need to be edited in order to get rid of the factory speed limiter.

Here is the recent tune I am using.
    Your shift times are set way too fast. Going below .12 will actually work against you. You need to adjust your Inertia factor profiles for upshift, CT downshift, and power downshift. Adjust your base shift pressures and Max line pressure to 155psi 1-4 gears. 5th can be adjusted to 135psi. 6th and rev should be left alone. Max adapt volumes for 1-4 should be set at 225.0. Oncoming volume need to be adjusted, but contact me before you do these. I can give you some numbers to start with that won't cook your clutches.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by midevil1 View Post
    Your shift times are set way too fast. Going below .12 will actually work against you. You need to adjust your Inertia factor profiles for upshift, CT downshift, and power downshift. Adjust your base shift pressures and Max line pressure to 155psi 1-4 gears. 5th can be adjusted to 135psi. 6th and rev should be left alone. Max adapt volumes for 1-4 should be set at 225.0. Oncoming volume need to be adjusted, but contact me before you do these. I can give you some numbers to start with that won't cook your clutches.
    I've been following (sand bagging) this and other threads about the A6 behind the 6.2. I too am interested in a tune that improves the tranny, but am very cautious. It seems to me there should be a basic setup that improves the tranny without being too aggressive and baking parts. If you or Sneakyws6 get this solved, I (as would others) would be very interested.

Thanks for the time you two have invested and I'll keep reading.

Advanced Tuner
    ive been doing things with the help of people off here and other people and so far ive had pretty good results..

these a6s for sure arent easy.
    https://www.facebook.com/tuningbyshanehinds
    [email protected]
    2009 G8 GT [email protected] 1.60 - Sold
    2008 A6 LS3 C6 Cammed [email protected] 1.44 Sold
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Quote Originally Posted by StoneJohnson001 View Post
    I've been following (sand bagging) this and other threads about the A6 behind the 6.2. I too am interested in a tune that improves the tranny, but am very cautious. It seems to me there should be a basic setup that improves the tranny without being too aggressive and baking parts. If you or Sneakyws6 get this solved, I (as would others) would be very interested.

Thanks for the time you two have invested and I'll keep reading.
    If you don't understand what the property does or what the consequence it will have on how the tranny and the TCM will operate, then don't change it. Total understanding of "HOW" the tranny works is the best, but next to impossible for 99% of us. The A6 is no wimp of a tranny, but it will do something that can burn it up if told too. You may think that you have got a tune that is the "SHIZZEL", but 2 weeks later or 2 days later you have got a tranny that doesn't move or is slipping, because you caused clutch pack overlap during a skip shift or somethingelse that you can't feel by the seat of your pants meter.

I was thinking of starting a thread that will list the basics for everybody to follow. I am not interested in just giving away tuning that has taken me months to put together. I am MORE than happy to help anybody with their tranny tuning.

My personal truck hits as hard in 4-5 shift as it does in the 1-2 shift.(at WOT) It has excellent street manners when driving normal and never runs over 160*. I find it hard to explain in lamen's terms and not tech terms on how this tranny thinks and operates, so I get kinda frustrated, because I don't want anybody to misinterpet what I said and burn down their NEW vehicle.

BTW: A well tuned A6 is worth 3 tenths at the strip.
    Last edited by midevil1; 05-18-2009 at 08:30 AM. Reason: more info.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by midevil1 View Post
    I was thinking of starting a thread that will list the basics for everybody to follow.
    Lets see it so we can get you a sticky sir! Worst case it gets a group of people together to comment/make suggestions until its all updated to meet everyones acceptance as a widespread answer to A6 tuning.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Advanced Tuner
    Mideveil,

I Dont Think Any Of Us Want You To Give Away Your Tuning Knowldge, But Helping Forum Members Alike In Tuning The Newer A6 Trannies Would Greatly Be Appreciated By Me As Well Alot Of Others I Am Sure.

Most Of Us Are Only After The Tranny Side Of The Tune As Alot Of Tuners Out There Are So New To The A6 That It Is Hit Or Miss On What Changes Do What.

I Am Like Others, I Have Made Some Changes And They Are Working But I Am Sure There Are Other Changes That Can Make It Better.

I Will Send You A Pm Here Later To Reply To The One You Sent Me And See If We Can Work Something Out.

Tuner in Training
    Mideveil,

I Dont Think Any Of Us Want You To Give Away Your Tuning Knowldge, But Helping Forum Members Alike In Tuning The Newer A6 Trannies Would Greatly Be Appreciated By Me As Well Alot Of Others I Am Sure.

Most Of Us Are Only After The Tranny Side Of The Tune As Alot Of Tuners Out There Are So New To The A6 That It Is Hit Or Miss On What Changes Do What.

I Am Like Others, I Have Made Some Changes And They Are Working But I Am Sure There Are Other Changes That Can Make It Better.

I Will Send You A Pm Here Later To Reply To The One You Sent Me And See If We Can Work Something Out.
    I too am not looking for something for nothing, but as you stated, this tranny is complicated. Am I to assume that a A6 tune works for all vehicles the A6 is in? If there is a good A6 tune, it's probably worth something to others. It would seem there would be a worksheet that could offered (for a price) that walks us through the setup.

Just a thought.

Advanced Tuner
    I Wouldnt Say 1 Tune Works For All, But Understandong All Of The Tables, What They Do, What The Minimum And Maximum That You Should Attempt Would Help Alot Of Us.

My Biggest Thing Is Some Changes That Are Mentioned Dont Work And Or The Improvement Does Not Do Anything.

I Also Want To Know What Tables Correlate To:

Regular Auto Mode
    Sport Mode
    Manual Mode

My Auto Mode And Sport Mode Work Great, Manual Mode Sucks Crap Right Now. Timing Issues And It Does Not Hit Nearly As Well As The Sport Mode Does.

The concept of having a thread outlining some of the theory behind what is happening here and some of the smarter guys educating the ones starting is GREAT! The info about various tables and what they do, along with some basic giudelines regarding min and max setting will be awesome too. When do we start?

Advanced Tuner
    To Me The Main Table I Need Help With Is The Shift Properties Tables. That Is The One Table That Is Kicking My Arse With All Of The Shift Times, Shift Pressures, And Everything Else On The Right Of The Three Columns Under That Tab.

The Shift Speed Tables Are Pretty Much Self Educating, I Am Sure The Tqm Table Could Use Some Minor Explaining But I Have Most Of That One Understood As Well.

I Wouldnt Say 1 Tune Works For All, But Understandong All Of The Tables, What They Do, What The Minimum And Maximum That You Should Attempt Would Help Alot Of Us.

My Biggest Thing Is Some Changes That Are Mentioned Dont Work And Or The Improvement Does Not Do Anything.

I Also Want To Know What Tables Correlate To:

Regular Auto Mode
    Sport Mode
    Manual Mode

My Auto Mode And Sport Mode Work Great, Manual Mode Sucks Crap Right Now. Timing Issues And It Does Not Hit Nearly As Well As The Sport Mode Does.

I will be in the Sacramento Area all week and will be attempting to make somekind of "How To" list. If somebody lives in the area and needs help HOLLA...

Like I said in the PM's. It is a combo of different parameters that work together to make the tranny perform. I am not sure if Manual mode will ever be desirable. Seems to take to long to even send the commands to the TCM.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah I have noticed that as well, seems like if you can get spot mode naild down it will do everything way faster than the manual mod could ever do plus it would take the human error out of the equation as well.

I honestly think the days of a actual manual being faster than a auto on shifts of slowly going out the window. The only real advantage I see to a manual is on a SCCA style track and even then that edge is even slowly being eaten away.

Look forward to seeing your info nce you get the time to post it up. If you dont mind someone tagging along I wont be in cali but you are more than welcome to call me if you need a tester for some of the changes.