Thread: Did I find an oddity?

Tuner

Did I find an oddity?

I was comparing tunes between an automatic Cavalier (left), and an manual Cavalier (right). Have the tunes always been different like this?

Each has tables the other doesn't, and on one, the idle ve map values are switched around? Why is this?

Yeah every car has differences. The 05 Cobalt SS and 04 Ion Redline has COMPLETELY different timing tables for Engine Temp, Intake Temp, High Octane, and Low Octane. Yet they are the same exact engine/pcm.
    RSG Offroad
    Jeeps. Jeeps. And more Jeeps. Oh and Jeeps too.

Advanced Tuner
    It just goes to show what kind of tolerance there is in these systems. Obviously there are no major engine hardware changes between the two systems yet they run well with such a difference in parameters.

It makes me wonder how different makes structure their calibrations/operatating systems. Do different honda/acura models/years have drastically different calibrations, or is this another "GM" thing?
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

Tuner in Training
    Admiral is the one of the left by chance 04+ and the one on the right an 02-03? I'm wondering if these two might possibly react differently with same injectors and same constants, it is incredible that on the one on the left the MAP values are flipped around the way they should be. Mine is exactly like the one on the right.

Potential Tuner
    i think the pictures that showed up on the right are for automatics, since i have an 04 manual and my HPT looks exactly like the left column of pictures.

Tuner
    Left is an automatic. I think an '04. Right is an '03 manual.

Tuner in Training
    Don't be surprised by stuff like this from the general. These are the guys that under-rated the HP of the hottest engines in their most popular models at one time... Remember? ('68 427 Corvette, rated: 435hp. Actual: 535hp.)

Tuner in Training
    I think its possible that Cranking VE table may solve the issue I'm having with tuning these 79lbrs. I have issues with warm starts, still playing around with the constant but seems its either issues with warm starts or very lean idle afrs despite adding fuel in the map.

Tuner in Training
    It's where I'd start...

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Jedi View Post
    Left is an automatic. I think an '04. Right is an '03 manual.
    well, mine looks like the left and i have a manual..

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by evilmonkitar View Post
    well, mine looks like the left and i have a manual..

Does the VE offset skew the values in that Cranking VE table when you change it?

I have 2 03 stock tunes one auto and one a manual, they both look like the right. Do you not know what years they are? If not look at the calibration details.

I also have a 05 auto file that looks like the one on the left.
    Last edited by JMHZ2401; 06-06-2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: adding info

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JMHZ2401 View Post
    I have 2 03 stock tunes one auto and one a manual, they both look like the right. Do you not know what years they are? If not look at the calibration details.

I also have a 05 auto file that looks like the one on the left.
    My theory is some time in 03 they went from the one on the right with the achy tables / no Cranking VE table to the one on the left. My 03 is also like the one on the right (No Cranking VE Table). I'm trying to get Evils file so I can license it and see what's going on. If that Cranking VE table gets skewed by the offset (and is there but hidden on 02-03.5) that might explain a few things.

Tuner in Training
    *** Update, Found that PJ had posted his stock 04 Manual tune in the Repository. It does in fact have the VE Cranking Table, and YES, the offset does effect the Cranking table. If the other calibrations which do not show the Cranking Table actually have it and its just "Hidden" that's a major kick in the balls because the values in those tables were there and way to rich for those of us who adjusted our offset. I'm in the process of moving over all my table data, going to license PJs file and flash it tonight. Well find out if there is a difference between the two and if the Cranking VE table actually makes a difference.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blackeco View Post
    *** Update, Found that PJ had posted his stock 04 Manual tune in the Repository. It does in fact have the VE Cranking Table, and YES, the offset does effect the Cranking table. If the other calibrations which do not show the Cranking Table actually have it and its just "Hidden" that's a major kick in the balls because the values in those tables were there and way to rich for those of us who adjusted our offset. I'm in the process of moving over all my table data, going to license PJs file and flash it tonight. Well find out if there is a difference between the two and if the Cranking VE table actually makes a difference.
    Would that explain why my car seems to start differently with my tune compared to the gm reflash?

Now it seems like the car starts smoothly, but was more force behind the starting with the gm reflash.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Jedi View Post
    Would that explain why my car seems to start differently with my tune compared to the gm reflash?

Now it seems like the car starts smoothly, but was more force behind the starting with the gm reflash.
    Without logging the startup with the reflash and knowing how it works its hard to speculate why its acting different. Even with same injectors you still have completely different things going on in the programming, short answer yes. The reflash is completely different than the 1 bar programming, probabally using different constants, different formulas.

I have everything running now on the 04 file, I have not done any definitive logging/tests. Had some trouble with passlock so just disabled my VATS fuel cut.
    If I get bored I will log the startups 03 vs 04 (cranking VE version) with the same constants and maps. It is starting up MUCH MUCH easier w/ the 04 file tonight and there is currently nothing different between the two tunes. Ill do some more testing tomorrow just to make sure it wasn't the night temperatures.