Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: What wideband to buy.

  1. #1
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10

    What wideband to buy.

    I am about to buy a wideband just for my car and wanted to know what works best with HP Tuners. I did a search and it seems like some have issues, so I figured I would ask. I do have a FAST dual wideband system that I use for other cars as well.

  2. #2
    Advanced Tuner
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by GRRRR8 View Post
    I am about to buy a wideband just for my car and wanted to know what works best with HP Tuners. I did a search and it seems like some have issues, so I figured I would ask. I do have a FAST dual wideband system that I use for other cars as well.

    I have had a couple different widebands now but I am now running the NGK AFX and as far as accuracy and the price goes you can't beat it and ease of installation is nice too, it can be portable from car to car pretty easily in my opinion or a permanent install.


    Do a search because their is alot of info on the different widebands and it's been covered MANY times.
    2005 Silverado Crew Cab 2wd

  3. #3
    Tuner boomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    128
    I would go with the AFX controller kit with the upgraded NGK/NTK wide band O2 sensor.

    http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...roducts_id/582

    Most will agree on here that this is one of the best consumer level O2 sensors on the market. Plus the controller matches the gauges on the G8s very well Here's a picture.


    Here's a pretty good read:
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21019
    Last edited by boomer; 04-13-2009 at 07:43 AM.
    Photos
    320 rwhp/340 ft-lb
    1/4 mile: 13.33 @ 105 mph

  4. #4
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    24
    I just bought the NGK AFX, waiting for the postman now. Charlie you're everywhere on the net.
    09 G8 GT

  5. #5
    Advanced Tuner Pro Street's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Booker TX
    Posts
    223
    Hi Charlie!
    Hows the G8 coming along. I installed my Vararam on the G8 and have started my tune. I have been using a AEM WB for about 2.5 years. It works ok! I have 2, one is mounted on my "A" pillar in my vette and the other I made it portable and move it car to car. If I was going to buy now I would get the AFX controller kit with the upgraded NGK/NTK wide band O2 sensor. Hope the helps!
    2002 vette coupe A4 3.42 gear-mods=Vortex ram air intake-TSP LT headers,x pipe and Borla Stingers-TSP 224R cam (224/224 581/581 114LSA) 25% underdrive pulley-BlackMaxx tunnel plate
    2004 GMC VHO (LQ9 345 HP) Stock
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS A6 L99
    1987 Buick GrandNational
    1983 Pro Street S10 355 Blown small block
    1996 Impala SS LT1 CAI

  6. #6
    Tuner in Training misnblu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Ocean Springs Ms
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Street View Post
    Hi Charlie!
    Hows the G8 coming along. I installed my Vararam on the G8 and have started my tune. I have been using a AEM WB for about 2.5 years. It works ok! I have 2, one is mounted on my "A" pillar in my vette and the other I made it portable and move it car to car. If I was going to buy now I would get the AFX controller kit with the upgraded NGK/NTK wide band O2 sensor. Hope the helps!
    I had thoughts of the NGK wideband but got the AEM Uego instead.
    So this should still work fine with the HPT and no issues, yes?
    Thanks.

  7. #7
    what is so special about the NTK sensor???

    5.3, 317 heads, ls6 intake, 02 ZO6 cam, hardened pushrods, PRC dual springs, FMIC, 15* timming, 18psi boost, th400 w/transbrake .... 600rwhp

  8. #8
    Advanced Tuner angrygoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Baltimore, MI
    Posts
    356
    I spoke with Seth of Hinson Supercars and he told me that the NTK is only superior to the standard Bosch if you are using leaded fuels. Other than that there is no difference. Not sure how valid it is but worth looking into for a $150 sensor
    Joe
    2006 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@135
    Only engine mods were near stock cam and valve springs
    "The goal of tuning is for the tune to run well enough you dont need any corrective mechanisms"

  9. #9
    Senior Tuner 5_Liter_Eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,844
    I agree. The accuracy comes from the controller and most agree that the AFX is the best thing going at the moment. Personally I would not pay the extra for the NTK sensor.

    Bill Winters

    '05 Corvette - Iron Block 408 & TTIX - 928 RWHP / 926 RWTQ @ 21#

    "When life hands you lemons you upgrade to a C6." - Me

    Always post a tune and a log when asking questions.

  10. #10
    Senior Tuner 5_Liter_Eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,844
    Quote Originally Posted by misnblu View Post
    I had thoughts of the NGK wideband but got the AEM Uego instead.
    So this should still work fine with the HPT and no issues, yes?
    Thanks.
    Yes
    Bill Winters

    '05 Corvette - Iron Block 408 & TTIX - 928 RWHP / 926 RWTQ @ 21#

    "When life hands you lemons you upgrade to a C6." - Me

    Always post a tune and a log when asking questions.

  11. #11
    Tuner in Training misnblu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Ocean Springs Ms
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    Yes
    Thank you for the reply.