Thread: 2 quick questions I think

2 quick questions I think

1st question is concerning SD and whats best I have had one heck of a time tuning my VE with OL and CL turned off and stft and ltft disabled, my VE table looks like the Rockies down low (normal driving). So on with the question what are the real world daily driven advantages and disadvantages of running a SD car with OL or CL on/off and STFT and LTFT turned off/on.

2nd one this car is a stroked 395 vette with a D1SC pushing about #14. What is a good WOT AFR to shoot for. The car has meth coming on about 5 and max meth about 10psi. I was thinking around 11.5 but at the moment its seeing 10.5 I think thats too much fuel I wanted some input on this

thanks I tried search but couldnt find exactly what im asking

Jerry

PS I think Im tuning the VE right, the how to help file says to disable both the stft and ltft but the pic thats included in the how to shows the ltft enabled confused?
    Last edited by buldogg; 04-08-2009 at 11:18 PM.

11.5 is too lean on meth

Post your files, sounds like you are not doing something right.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

I was thinking 11.5 before meth just incase for some reason I run out or the pump quits I would still be safe. the 10.5 is with meth but I was thinking thats a little rich maybe not. I dont have my laptop here with me but I will post my latest tune as soon as I can.

any thoughts on the OL CL thing

if its going to be a daily driver get it dialed in using open loop fuel trim learning disabled. Then turned the o2s back on so they can compensate for weather / altitude changes..

As for your rocky ve table make sure you get at least 20 counts in each cell if your going to do a paste special.. one of two is not enough. Once you get the entire thing +/- 5% you can smooth it out.. Do some more scans and mult x 1/2 %...

For WOT with methanol you need to shoot for 10:8 or less.. You must remember the stoich of methanol is 8:1 whereas gasoline is 14.7:1 so you must compensate for that.. If you are concerned with the pump failing you need to not even tune for methanol. Just add it as a safety precaution. Don't add any spark especially.. Make sure you have a flow detector as well. Keep your low octane tables actually as a low octane table. If you plan on staying speed density buy the enhanced version so you can have that table.. I tune for methanol no doubt about it but if it fails and I pop a piston I can only blame myself. The question you must ask yourself is if you blow your motor because the methanol fails can you afford to buy a new one if the answer is no only use it as a supplement. good luck

Thank you I will shoot for the 10.8 afr right now its about 10.5 so thats not too far off.

As for the SD VE tuning I dont know why Im so confused I feel dense. The instructions via the help file tells me to disable both stft and ltft ok. Then max out the CL table so the computer wont go into CL. So that means the computer is going to be running OL right

I have my wideband AEM hooked into my scanner and I have the tables set for 15 cell count, after I get about 20 -30 cells I copy-Paste special * 1/2 is that right?

Since Tuesday after tuning the VE I turned on everything OL CL STFT and LTFT the car seems to be running better and afr looks better then if I have it in just OL SD

yes copy and paste special but it will be hard to hit every one of those cells.. So the ones that you arent hitting you need to smooth out. They shouldnt have much variance from one cell to the next... The reason the afr looks better in closed loop is because your narrow bands are compensating for the bad ve table.. They are always changing to ideally hit 14.7 .. But you dont want the narrow bands to have to over compensate if they are more than 10% off when you enter PE thats another 10% which thtas going to be off .. And just say no to PE raping!! You want your WOT fueling at exactly what you are commanding in the pe ! dont hack it because your fuel trims are off..