Thread: E85 Meth injected Turbo 408 question

E85 Meth injected Turbo 408 question

It is a rear mount 80mm turbo, non-intercooled, 408 iron block Ls2, About 9.3 to 1 static compression, 6000-6200 peak power turbo cam grind that I can't recall the exact specs to from home. The vehicle is AWD and we only have a 2wd dyno, so it will be street tuned with a wide band at full throttle with the help of a G-Tech. Has anyone played with something like this and might have some useful information to achieve max power?

Currently the HP scanner is showing just shy of 600 ft/lbs of delivered torque at 11.1 to one A/F in first gear at 14psi after a 40mph down shift with the 50/50 meth/water and E85 mix. I am hooking up the G-Tech tomorrow for some better tuning results and hopefully nailing this thing down. (Regular gasoline stoich on that A/F BTW) With this combination, I think I might have better power a bit leaner on the E85 because of the extremely high octane and cooling effects of the fuels. Timing is at 21 degrees full throttle with absolutely no KR of any sort. It's looking good at this point but I only tuned it on the street for about an hour or so. Comments? There is a bunch of not so typical science with the fuels used here and I don't want to burn days on this. Any information of any kind would be appreciated.

Lance

Would be a good idea to be tuning in Lambda since you are mixing fuels with different stoich ratios.

What do your IAT's look like with no FMIC and that fuel combination? Do you have a relocated IAT just after the alky injection?

145 degrees after the injection (very small shot). I am thinking that the added cooling from the Alcohol directly injected into the cylinders brings it down a bit more though in the cylinder. This is the first boosted meth injected E85 car I have tuned. I always found this setup intriguing because I thought you could run about twice the boost without an intercooler thus making the whole system more efficient.? I would shoot a bit more meth/water but I hate to have the engine dependent on it if it would go out completely.

I agree on the Lambda thing but I would have to dig the AEM out of the dash and so on and I'm not familiar with what the two fuels like to run at anyway so I first got it close with the E85 only and introduced about .3 of a point with the meth to get to the 11.1 to 1 it is at. I think that comes to about 7.3 to one with E85 stoich.

Where is the IAT placed? Is this a SD or MAF tune?

The IAT is about 6 inches up the intake tube from the meth injector. It is a 2bar SD tune.

What IAT's do you see when the meth is not spraying and you are in boost? We usually see a 30-50 degree drop with straight M3 or M5.

I didn't run this one without spray but I have seen over 200 degrees on 14psi before with no form of intercooling.

I am pretty sure you want to aim for a much richer AFR on the E85/meth combo than on gasoline. Considering stoich on both of those fuels is below 10:1 there is a pretty drastic difference. People who run straight methanol fuel for example run single digit AFR's.

Just food for thought. You might try a run with it much richer with more timing.

It is richer for sure. If I calculate the A/F to the E85 stoich it is running at 7.5 to 1 now with the meth shot and 21 degrees of timing. She runs very strong. Do you think I should try a bit more timing? I'm to the point where not having the dyno is really a pain in the butt now.